August 20, 2014

24: 9:00PM - 10:00PM

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Mar 17th 2009 8:02AM

Kiefer Sutherland
(S07E14) "What we're doing is fundamentally and absolutely necessary." - Hodges

After all that, is it really that simple? Does it really just boil down to survival of the fittest? Fourteen hours into Jack Bauer's very bad seventh day and we finally found out the motivation behind the day's terrorist attacks. Like everyone else, I've been on the edge of my seat, but after that revelation... well, it's going to take another crazy twist for me to really care about Jonas Hodges.

I had the opportunity to sit in on a conference call with 24 EP Howard Gordon about a week ago and when asked about Hodges, he said, "Yes, I think you'll get a very full-bodied explanation of Jonas Hodges' [Jon Voight] motivations. He is in the tradition of all our best villains - complicated, megalomaniacal and in his view, well intentioned. You'll know in all its operatic glory why he's done what he's done."

Was this really all that "operatic?" In the same way that Sen. Blaine Mayer has dismantled CTU, it turns out that he had also been looking into Starkwood, an extremely powerful and persuasive government defense contractor. Hodges runs the outfit and doesn't want to shut it down. It's a story we've heard before: he plans on killing hundreds of thousands of innocent Americans to prove that terror exists and create a demand for his company's services. Simple enough but far from operatic.

Jack, still on the run since he's been framed for Burnett's murder by Starkwood employee Quinn, finds all of this out while digging through files in Mayer's home office. The two of them, finally seeing eye to eye, agree that coming clean is the best way for Jack to take down Starkwood. Juma gave Hodges weapons and they need to be stopped. Then Quinn shows up and it's the same story - Jack is framed.

One key scene though, right before Mayer bit on a bullet (did not see that coming), was the conversation he had with Jack about regret. Losing his family and having to kill innocents were near the top of the list, but did anyone else notice that Jack's motivations nearly mirrored those of Hodges? The difference? Hodges truly believes men like him are required for the world to operate safely and while Jack does agree with that, he still regrets that it's the case. If anything, it sets up an inevitable philosophical debate while bullets fly when Jack and Jonas finally meet.

A few more thoughts -

• Olivia totally leaked that info to the press. Whoever is covering for her at the network must've owed her one - she was a consultant before this. And speaking of that, how much you want to bet that we'll find out one of her major consulting clients was Starkwood?
  • Larry's by-the-book mentality is really starting to get annoying and it's impeding the investigation. Grow a pair already man! I'm assuming this will change though - he can't keep Renee in custody for the rest of the day.
  • How come Chloe and Morris didn't mention Bill once? I would think they would have heard about that by now. I was just surprised that Morris didn't use the "people around him die" argument to try and convince Chloe that helping the FBI find Jack was the right thing to do.

Now the fun begins. The enemy is known. His plan is (somewhat) known. And Jack and Tony know where his weapons are going to be. Time to save the day (again).

Will

I think this season is one of the best, so far. Just really entertaining. The President underwhelmes me, though. And I didn't see Mayer getting shot either, though I guess I should have. It figures as soon as he starts to align with Jack, he gets it. I will be sorry to see this season end, it's been fun.

March 17 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

I'm so bored with the ridiculousness of 24 now. I love the scenes where Jack is yelling at/beating on someone. I love the scenes where Keifer has to show the weight and pain that the years have added to Jack. What I can't stand anymore is the well-beyond-over-the-top plot devices and stupid things that couldn't ever possibly happen in real life. I just can't connect with all the setup to get to the Blackwater/Halliburton conspiracy.

Oh, I mean Starkwood. Sorry. Thought it was 2003 for a second.

Anyway...The show lost me when a team of African thugs rolled up out of the Potomac and took over the White House. There's "suspension-of-disbelief for the sake of enjoyment" and there's "oh my God this is retarded." 24 has tipped over into full retard for me.

Even if the rest of the season is an action-packed thrill ride...I think I'm done with 24. I smell Brannon Braga in everything and I can't take any more "Let's just re-align the dilithium matrix and shunt it to the deflector array" logic

March 17 2009 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to malren's comment
Diego M

does anyone else got annoyed when jack, after fightin for his life, finally calls tony, and he is at a restaurant or a cafe just chillin!!!! TONY!!! WTF lol i thought it was funny but then i was like poor jack been through hell

Mayer dying was shocking but then it made sense i didn't hear any sirens, just "PD open the door" i still screamed like jack did. i said "NOOO, DAMN IT" and my roommate came in and asked what's wrong haha

there has to be more to his plot than just makin demand for his company. after all mayer is dead does hodges really need to kill 12000 in a major city?

next monday looks just as good as today.

March 17 2009 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

The Jack Bauer vs. Quinn fight in the end was just pure awesomeness. Jack flipping the trailer over was just hilarious.

March 17 2009 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robin

LOVED Jack and Quinn's ninja-like fight at the end. Totally awesome! Gotta love it---Jack embeds the screwdriver into the guy's chest and then pulls it out and uses it to start the truck!!Jack Bauer is the bomb!

March 17 2009 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Robin's comment
Steve

I agree, perfect combination of awesome and hilarious. When they showed Jack using a dirt loader to flip over the construction office with Quinn inside i was rolling.

I don't think I laughed at a 24 action scene like that since Jack tried (and failed) calling CTU while hanging onto the underside of a truck at the end of season 6.

March 17 2009 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

"Larry's by-the-book mentality is really starting to get annoying and it's impeding the investigation. Grow a pair already man!"

I would agree with you on this last week, but in his defense the "bad guys" are doing a very good job at framing Jack. With Burnett, I could've seen Larry sweep it under the rug, but with the death of a senator... that's just a wee bit more dicey and Jack Bauer or not, Jack is the ONLY suspect they have.

Having said that, I was SHOCKED Mayer was killed. I literally jumped off my couch and yelled. It hurts especially since they were starting to see each other eye to eye. And now... gyah. Great show though.

March 17 2009 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kip

I thought the episode last night was great. It was awesome to see them in action and every twist and turn that the plot is going to take. I would love to see a consistent supporting character through the arc that we can develop, like Curtis, Chace, or Tony.
The theme of this is not just the idea that Jack would like to or rather stop but the sheer fact that he cannot stop. If he stops he dies and the world loses. I'd love to see a flashback episode here or there form previous ops with people for some more character development but when you have a good premise going you don;t deviate. The movie was a great idea and I would love to see one in between each season.

March 17 2009 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Wow, the excitement never stops this season. It is SOOOO good. Is it just me, or did the guy sent to frame Jack look like Gordon Ramsey?

March 17 2009 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alan

Is it me or does this plot remind anyone of Jericho? There, the plot involved military contractors causing a nuclear attack which put them on the ground in the US. (Or something like that) Seems that is what Hodges has in mind in 24, only with bioweapons.

March 17 2009 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

As soon as Larry told Janice to send the police over to Mayer's, I knew he was going to get shot. After all, we saw Quinn riding around with a police radio in his car and he knew the moment it was reported that Jack had escaped from the hospital. It wasn't too hard to know he was going to be the one at the door, especially once Mayer had convinced Jack that turning himself in was the only solution.

I think this season rivals season five (oh, and of course season one!) as the best season so far. The pacing is much better and we're getting the story revealed to us at a much better pace than usual. I think we'll see Hodges turn out to be right up there with the worst guys Jack has faced so far and he's certainly got a base of infiltrators in the government to draw from. As much as losing Bill was disappointing, getting Renee and Tony on the team is fantastic. This is a great season so far and I can't wait for Mondays so we get another hour!

March 17 2009 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply