August 23, 2014

President Obama asks for more TV time

by Hemal Jhaveri, posted Mar 17th 2009 6:05PM
Slate's Calling it Fireside Chat 2.0, the addresses are meant to reach and reassure viewers about the steps the government is taking to make sure our entire economy doesn't go down the toilet. Now, I'm all for open and transparent communication between the higher echelons of power and us proletariat masses, but please President Obama, stop pre-empting my shows!

In his less than 50 days in power, President Obama has made two major prime-time appearances. First, there was a nationally television press conference to discuss the bailout, and then came the lengthy address to a joint session of Congress. Thankfully, none of these events happened during sweeps. Living in DC, I'm a big political junkie and can appreciate the pageantry and formality of these events. I'll happily tune in and even watch pre-game and post-game analysis on the news networks. But, I can only imagine the outrage that will happen if an Obama address pushes back a season finale in May or causes a DVR glitch.

Time Magazine's
James Poniewozik writes that the new 10-minute format Obama is considering might be a perfect for modern audiences with ADD, but he too worries about how networks will schedule around it the awkward block of time. 10-minutes here and there don't' bother me, but speak too often and they'll just end up annoying people who simply want to unwind after a crappy day at work.

Sometimes, being able to watch your TV show when it's due to air is the best way to relive the stress that many of us are feeling. I appreciate his impulse to take his message directly to the people, which is more than can be said for the White House's previous occupant, but knowing how crazed people get around May sweeps, he should be wary.

patsysueflint

don't blame me i voted for Hillary...

March 24 2009 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
In A World (XBL)

Wow, there sure are a lot of freedom-hating heartless bastards in this comment section. Wah wah wah! I don't care about the country I just wanna watch American Idol! Wah wah wah! I haven't lost my job yet so I don't care about the impending doom that will soon be visited apon me and my family due to my own indifference and failure to act! Waaaaahhhh! I wanna watch stupid sitcoms!

March 18 2009 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CK

Dear God. How many more prime time interruptions do we need to indure? If he came on and said something original and new that's fine...but it won't happen. The economy is bad so you're spending money, we get it...now can I finish watching Bauer save the day, Allison Dubois have a dream, or Melinda Gordon talk to ghosts? Please. Save it for the 10:00 news - Washington will do whatever it wants whether we have an opinion or not. They're safe and secure for at least 4 years.

March 18 2009 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

NBC would love him to talk all the time, they get great ratings whenever Obama is on.

And people really wanted McCain who couldn't make up his mind on things, had no clue what to do about the economy, and miss-spoke ALL the time? Never mind the fact that Palin was one pretzel away from being president was scary as hell.

March 18 2009 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
svrkevi

I think it's the right thing to do...at least he;s attempting to be straight forward with the people...even to those who dislike. It feels good to have somebody in charge not comfortable with being ignored. We ignored the last guy and he want ahead and did whatever he wanted to...and people died...dying isnt nice.

March 18 2009 at 1:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

Sheesh, put him on the cable news networks already!!
Or Put him on at the same time as American Idol, or Dancing With The Stars or any other reality show.
laughs..
I got it!!!!
We can give him the first 10 minutes of the Jay Leno 10:00 Show!!!
Obama every 5 nights a week at 10:00pm.....
Must Watch TV, or be taxed if you don't watch...

March 18 2009 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

I don't think this is a problem at all. It's only 10 minutes. It's perfect. Push the whole night back 10 minutes. Schedule it with enough time it doesn't affect DVR users. Everyone who doesn't care gets a free bathroom/internet/snack break.

March 18 2009 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ryan

Yeah, it would be crazy if a discussion about how to deal with the crumbling economy and staggering job losses would affect 10 minutes of oh so precious precious television time.

Ah, Americans...

March 17 2009 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

He clearly has a God complex.

The fact is, now that he's elected, no one really cares what he has to say. How many people watched his first prime-time news conference -- the one where he took 60 minutes to answer like five questions?

People want results, not talk. So far, we haven't gotten any. Does he want to come on TV to remind us that he "inherited" the economy?

March 17 2009 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
Vito

TWO MONTHS.

TWO MONTHS.

If you want to continue this line of thought, then you should accept that the recession and devastating terrorist attack within Bush's first year were his fault. I'm just saying.

March 18 2009 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

Shouldn't CNN/MSNBC/FOX News air these little shows of Obama's so we can watch our more important TV? Most people are probably tired of hearing about the economy or anything political, and the one's that aren't more than likely have access to one of the major news networks and will tune in to one of them. Why not air them at 6 PM instead, during the local news, or just come on Oprah (I mean everyone watches Oprah, right?)

March 17 2009 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply