November 24, 2014

It's not so good to be Kings

by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 18th 2009 9:02AM
Ian McShane gets some bad news from a runner on the set of KingsThe response for NBC's Kings has been a good one. The show has garnered good praise from both the TV critics' shires and their sovereign nation of loyal readers minus the ones who still work at newspapers since they technically don't have any.

If only critics' words could directly affect the world in which we live simply by committing ink to paper. Just think of the possibilities. Barack Obama would reopen Guantanamo Bay long enough to try Rob Schneider as a war criminal. Family Guy would have only lasted one episode instead of longer than most fossil remains. Deadwood would return to the air as a Saturday morning cartoon show called The $*&#ing Amalgamated Adventures of That Unnecessarily Profane #*$&ing #(#(*sucker Al #*($ing Swearengen.

More importantly, Kings would have done a hell of a lot better in its time slot.

It's a strange place to put such an ambitious show. People who might enjoy Kings are usually watching TV during the week on Wednesday or Thursday, not early Sunday evening. It's a bigger wonder why NBC thought Kings would make a good lead-in for Celebrity Apprentice. The two just don't go together. One audience wants to watch a tired, old despot try to convince his kingdom that he's still a powerful man capable of doing great things at the cost of his own dignity and humility, and the other audience wants to watch quality shows like Kings.

If Kings wants to see season two, it needs some buzz. It's a smart and ambitious show for a network, but smart don't get you a date for the prom.

Here's the premiere, for those who missed it:

mterrific

When I first saw promo's for Kings I thought it looked boring. I told friends of mine that work for NBC that it would probably tank. But after reading good reviews of it I checked out the first two episodes on hulu and it is really good. I'm definately a fan. Ian McShane blew me away. NBC needs to do a better job promoting this show. I'm gonna keep watching it as long as it lasts.

April 04 2009 at 3:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jude

I've watched it three times now, and I love it more with each viewing. It might help that the Saul/David/Jonathan story is my favorite in the Bible, but beyond that I loved the war scenes, the Biblical references (I'm an atheist by the way), the acting, the fun. The contrast between Silas and David is fascinating. But...my daughter got bored and never watched finished watching it online. Rats. At least TV shows that we love and which don't last long are frequently released on DVD. See, I'm already resigned to its cancellation because, as we know, TV execs generally don't have patience.

March 20 2009 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
e

The show was cow dung. What, you can't make a good war scene? The war scenes looked completely fake and cheaply made. And the comercial breaks seemed like five minutes each. So the king gave up the "love of his life" to be king. But she's his mistress now, wait, didn't he give her up? He has no problem killing a guy, seemingly, because he dared question him and was getting up before him from the conference table but has a problem with getting rid of his brother in law when he threatens him? Come on! There are just too many things wrong with this show to bother with. No more for me thanks.

March 19 2009 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mbemom

I hope this show gets a chance. It's not the best show ever but it has a lot of potential and I would love to see where it goes. Since that's the case, this show is doomed as almost all the shows I like get canceled too soon.

March 18 2009 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nigel Ray

Nicely written Danny!

March 18 2009 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Buckley

"The lowest rated show in the 8 to 11 p.m. timeslot last Sunday. That means less people watched Kings than... 60 Minutes." 60 Minutes is on at 7, and that article doesn't mention it.

March 18 2009 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zack

Kings is defiantly one of the best shows on TV and deserves a perfect time-slot. What about Wednesday at 8? Or will that no lead in hurt it?

March 18 2009 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Takayo

I meant to watch this, but missed it.

March 18 2009 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hashbrown_Hunter

Plus Monday night is enough of a clusterfuck for anyone who watches TV. Too many worthwhile shows in one night. Kings would only add to the confusion.

March 18 2009 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynnie

I agree with Jimmy (comment #4). Also, in this paragraph,
"The premiere episode only eeked out around 6 million viewers and finished as the lowest rated show in the 8 to 11 p.m. timeslot last Sunday. That means less people watched Kings than The Simpsons, Family Guy, 60 Minutes, Hole in the Wall and ... America's Funniest Home Videos?!? Cripes, is that show still on the air? Apparently, fathers have failed to learn after more than 10 years that their testicles are never safe when Junior has the whifflebat." - it's not "eeked", it's "eked", and it's not a "'whifflebat", it's a "wiffle bat".
I agree with George - proofread! (or at least spell check).

March 18 2009 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply