October 31, 2014

Lost: Namaste

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Mar 19th 2009 12:52AM

(L-R): Josh Holloway, Evangeline Lilly, Jorge Garcia, and Matthew Fox
(S05E09) "Dude, your English is awesome." - Hurley

We've had two weeks to stew on the events of "LaFleur" and maybe that's why I went into "Namaste" expecting so much more. That isn't to say that I was disappointed with the Oceanic Six/Left Behinders reunion. The simplest way to put it is that the nature of the narrative on Lost has forced the show to change so that these are the types of stories that are most organic to the plot now.

The flashbacks from the first few seasons are a distant memory at this point, and it's exciting because for a while now, we've been watching stuff that didn't already happen. Well ... technically it did since they're all in 1977 now, but you get what I mean. One thing is for certain - no matter how you slice it, three years is a long time.

That was really the whole point of this episode, wasn't it? How much things have changed? It works on a much higher level, too, because when Lost is finally over, "Namaste" will definitely be remembered as an episode that changed the tone of the show, as well.

So the gang is back together. How Jack, Kate, Hurley, and Co. pulled it off, no one really knows for sure at this point, but it's 1977 and they've thrown quite the monkey-wrench into Sawyer/LaFleur's comfy DHARMA lifestyle. The entire reunion had so many layers - shock, amazement, but most importantly, confusion. Confusion about how they got back, why they had to come back, and what to do now that they are back. We've reached a point that feels very inert - the next step isn't completely clear.

Sawyer has been thrown into the reluctant leader position (something he never wanted, but occasionally got saddled with, back in 2004) and it's important to remember that he had reconciled that DHARMA and Juliet was his life now. There was no reason to think that Locke's promise would pan out. Much of Sawyer's attitude throughout the hour had an "I'm doing this because I'm supposed to, not because I want to" air about it, and it all culminated at the very end with the pseudo passing of the torch from Jack to Sawyer.

Sawyer's comment about Jack not thinking and only ever reacting was dead on, and he certainly went out of his way to make sure Jack knew that James Ford's reign would be different. But Jack's no fool. He knows Sawyer has the upper hand now, and watching him take the orders for once will be interesting. The look on his face when he found out he would be a DHARMA workman instead of a doctor said it all.

Seeing DHARMA in its heyday is fun, but we've seen it all before via flashbacks, so it isn't 100% fresh. Little things stood out, like seeing Radzinsky building the model for the Swan or seeing the Flame working to its full potential. Having young Ben at the end, ever sympathetic to the Hostiles, bring Sayid a sandwich was a nice touch, too.

A few more thoughts:

• I thought the DHARMA folks ran a tighter ship. It seemed awfully easy for Sawyer and Juliet to sneak everyone in as new recruits.
  • Was anyone else underwhelmed with Sun, Lapidus, and Ben? Even the run-in with Christian, showing them the 1977 DHARMA photo wasn't all that exciting. I don't see a bigger picture here, and it's looking more and more like the sole reason for them not making the 30-year jump was simply to delay the Sun/Jin reunion.
  • The same can be said for Sayid. Why exactly was he thrown so far away from Jack, Kate, and Hurley? Ostensibly, it looked dramatic - Sayid is alive! - but it looks more like it was just a gimmick to separate him and set up his capture.
  • I love the tension between Juliet and Kate. The second Sawyer told Juliet "they were back," there were a million things she could have been considering, but you could tell that her only thought was Kate and Sawyer's history.
  • Speaking of Juliet, how about the look on her face when Amy told her they named the baby Ethan? More logical than shocking, I suppose.
  • Phil's gonna be a problem. He didn't look pleased when Jack went to visit LaFleur late at night.
  • We still got no explanation from Hurley or Sayid about how they got on the plane or even knew about it. Why did Hurley have a guitar? Why was Sayid being escorted by Ilana? I know the answers are coming, but I thought for sure we'd get something to nibble on in this ep. To some extent, I almost felt like the lack of info was intentional. Both Hurley and Sayid had very few lines period in this episode.
  • Sun has a great poker face. I loved when she and Frank saw Smokey and she played it off like it was some furry, woodland creature. I had forgotten that Frank had never encountered Smokey.
  • Anyone else notice that when Frank's co-pilot tried to send out a distress signal, all he heard was the numbers transmission? When did that get re-activated? I know Danielle's distress signal was turned off, but who from 2004-2007 would have reactivated the "4 8 15 16 23 42" broadcast?
  • Why was DHARMAville so completely trashed? Even after Keamy's goons sacked the place, it didn't look that bad.
  • I'd like some backstory on the DHARMA/Hostiles truce. What events led to it and why did both sides agree to it?
  • What happened to Faraday? Sawyer said he was there, but no longer with them? Was he booted from DHARMA after trying to warn young Charlotte one too many times? Or did he try something funky down in the Orchid?

That's all I got. Here's the official description for next week's episode. Doesn't seem like Sayid "Iraqi MacGyver" Jarrah is going to be staying in his DHARMA jail cell too much longer.

"He's Our You" - Things begin to unravel when one of the survivors goes rogue and takes matters into their own hands -- risking the lives of everyone on the island -- on "Lost," WEDNESDAY, MARCH 25 (9:00-10:02 p.m., ET) on ABC.

hugeliver

Anybody care to tell me why The Muppet Show was playing on the monitors behind Jin when he went to see if buddy saw a plane?

I thought they were security monitors. : )

March 23 2009 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scooter

eathan makes it because i dont think the others kill children, i mean they didnt kill walt, or bens daughter, so children are somewhat important on the island from my understanding

i want there to be more monsters :(

oh and where did daniel go? i havnt seen him in the last few eps

March 21 2009 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cress d

Ok..help me here. The season 3 episode that showed Ben killing his father, as well as Horace, and the rest of the Dharmies in the PURGE seemed to imply Ben was the sole survivor of the DHARMA Initiative. Right? Well when our survivors crash on the island in 2004, Ethan is an Other; a part of Bens' group. If Ben kills everyone in the Purge, Ethan should be dead right, since he was born in '77 in Dharmaville. Unless they haven't shown us all of the story of the Purge.

March 21 2009 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cress d

I love the look Juliet has on her face after learning that the newborn shes holding is Ethan. It says "Let me put this little monster down right now."

March 21 2009 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bobby

I would say, maybe Sun, Ben, Locke and Frank are on Jacob's list, that makes them not flashing with others together.

Remember in season 3, Jack is confirmed not on Jacob's list by Pickett, Kate and Sayid neither confirmed by Mikhail, and Locke is on the list, also said by Mikhail. I suspect it would be how island picks out them in the current time.

I really hope Sun would play a greater role in the upcoming episodes. Looking forward to finding out what her deals are with Charles Widmore and her journey to find her husband. Seems promising.

March 21 2009 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RB

Looking at what was left of the barracks in this episode, it looks like the whole period of Others occupancy now never happened. Why would they still have kept up the old Dharma photos and why was the Registration sign still hanging there sideways? In all of our previous views of the barracks, I don't remember seeing this sign and it would make sense that the Others would get rid of the old Dharma relics.

March 20 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mvdelaney77

IMDB suggests that Zuleikha Robinson's character's name is Ilana, not Sara. I, too, believe that both she and the Caesar character will play some role going forward, not sure what though.

An interesting aside, the actor who plays Caesar, his name? Saïd Taghmaoui... which I presume is pronounced Sayid.

March 20 2009 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CK

Question: (may be irrelevant) Who is "Sara"? The female Marshal on the plane said it when she woke up after the crash. Those two "extra" first class passengers have to have some tie to the island or else why even introduce new characters at this point.

March 20 2009 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CK's comment
Joel

My friend asked me that too...im pretty sure she said "jarah" as in Sayid's last name.

March 23 2009 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mvdelaney77

My point with Sun wasn't regarding the recreation of 815. In fact, I think the recreation is only part of the whole. We need to ask the simple question, why the need for the recreation in the first place? I would contend that it's just a matter of getting the Island's attention. They needed enough of the original framework in place for the Island to bring any of them. However, the Island didn't just want stand-ins, it wanted back what it had lost.... all of them. Getting back to the Island is as much about how you left as how you got there in the first place. That the Island didn't pull in Ben or Frank in the first place may explain why it didn't pull them in this time... or that could apply only to Frank and Ben didn't get taken because of how he left the Island... afterall, Locke didn't go to 1977 either. With Sun, the Island wants her, but it wants what it lost... and it's not going to let her fully get back until she has what the Island wants... her kid. At least, it won't let her get back and be with Jin easily...

I mean, I don't think it's a coincidence that the Others were rounding up kids... The Island wants Sun and Jin's kid. So, it's not that she was pregnant in the original flight and must replicate that... it's that the Island wants what the Island wants, and that's the return of everyone who left.

Afterall, if it was just about replicating the original, then we would've NEEDED Walt, etc. They didn't need any individual, they needed a critical mass of continuity... except Sun... because Sun isn't bringing back a part of her that left.

Sorry if that point wasn't made obvious, but that's why I mentioned the pregnancy, not because I thought she arrived pregnant on 815.

March 20 2009 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mvdelaney77's comment
donkey23

I see your point, which I again view as being very insightful.

March 22 2009 at 1:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

Did anyone else notice that the turbulence on the plane occurred at night, then the flash of light, and then the plane crash lands in daylight?

March 19 2009 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dean's comment
Echy

Yes I did and I believe that everyone went back in time.

March 19 2009 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply