November 24, 2014

Aaron Sorkin pays tribute to Ron Silver

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 20th 2009 5:03PM
Ron SilverIt's still odd to think about Ron Silver, who died of cancer earlier this week, being gone. I mean, sure, cancer can hit anyone at any age, but it's odd to see it happen to someone in a fairly recent show, and one that I watch a lot of (thank you, DVD sets). I felt the same thing when another West Wing cast member, John Spencer, died a few years back. That was even more shocking because he was still on the show at the time.

West Wing creator/writer Aaron Sorkin pays tribute to Silver in Time. He says that Silver was not only the type of actor who was very generous ("someone who's there for the piece and not for himself"), but one that would make the other actors laugh and get into a good mood between takes.

I never quite understood why his character, Bruno, would become a Republican later in the show and help the opposing team. I didn't really buy that. Nothing to do with Silver's acting at all, he was great, I just remember Bruno's impassioned speeches about being a Democrat when he was working for President Bartlet. Sure, it's possible that the character of Bruno could be looked at as a "do anything to win, work for any team" kind of guy in it for the power and the win, but Bruno was a Democrat when the show started and it was odd to see him go to the GOP in the last season. Though I guess it mirrored Silver's real-life in some ways.

He was nominated for an Emmy for the role, and he truly deserved it.

Melody Warbington

If you want to read a great tribute to Ron Silver, read "Silver's Bravery Not An Act" at http://www.anncoulter.com/

Granted, this will probably cause some fans to pitch a fit, but it's a wonderful tribute to an intelligent and compassionate American.

March 23 2009 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Ron Silver was great. His best roles were as Alan Dershowitz in 'Reversal of Fortune' (1990) and as Bruno Gianelli in 'The West Wing'.

Such an incredible presence.

R.I.P.

March 22 2009 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

My favorite Ron Silver role was in Wiseguy. Excellent actor.

March 20 2009 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I thought I read that Ron Silver switched parties in his real life.... Aaron Sorkin bases alot of his characters on people in his real life.

March 20 2009 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Tammy's comment
Dorv

He does, but Sorkin had left the show well before Bruno's switch.

I'm with Bob... The change never made complete sense to me.

March 20 2009 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wcsd

The switch occurred after Sorkin left the show, similar to other debatable plot moves. This points to the "two periods" of West Wing, the first four seasons where Sorkin was the showrunner, and the last three (where not every plot move made sense, such as Toby's storyline).

Ron Silver, we thank you for your work.

March 20 2009 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
andrea gray

We've lost so many already and now a double whammie this week. Mr. Silver will be missed. Hes been a favorite of mine for some time.

March 20 2009 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

Silver was awesome, sorry to see him go.

As for seeing him switch sides, it was nice seeing him play for the good guys in the final two seasons.

March 20 2009 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply