November 23, 2014

Networks want Barack Obama to butt out

by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 21st 2009 9:02AM
President Barack ObamaPresident Barack Obama wants to make another primetime address to the nation, but the networks are puking in their soup over it.

The White House has another address scheduled for Tuesday, and the networks are raising holy hell over having to shift their schedules to make room for him.

Tuesday is a prime choice cut for the four major networks (five if you count the CW) and shows like American Idol, Bones and The Biggest Loser are having to play musical chairs because of his address.

One unidentified insider told TV Week that the bigger issue to the networks is (wait for it) money. He or she claims every time the President interrupts their programming, they lose at least a couple of million dollars in advertising revenue that they claim can't be replaced.

So what's stopping the networks from just not airing the President's message? They've done it before under President Bush's term. Fox once refused to interrupt their programming, so they could air meaningless tripe like Trading Spouses at a time when the whole country thought the world was one "Bring it on" away from meeting the business end of the evildoer's Swiffer.

This is very disappointing news. Money and business are important to keep the lights on, but when did the networks altogether stop seeing themselves as a public trust? I've got an uneasy feeling that if aliens attacked and started laying waste to humanity, the networks wouldn't let the Emergency Broadcast System interrupt their programming for fear that the Dinty Moore people would never speak to them again.

As a compromise, the White House is considering having shorter 10-minute "fireside chats" instead of a whole address. That's assuming that the White House hasn't yet sold their fireplace to cover the deficit.

kewy

If it's of national interest, shouldn't the networks oblige? If I own the network I would. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Stan Kewy

March 24 2009 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kewy

If it's of national interest, shouldn't the networks oblige?

March 24 2009 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

im sorry i will tell u right off the bat i am a black male and hes in the public eye wayyyyyyyyy too much. Im starting to think this guy wants a sitcom. do ur work u dont need to keep doing this

March 24 2009 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melody Warbington

So the networks are upset about Obama upsetting their apple carts? They're just now learning what 50 million of us knew back in November. His ego is so big that he's going to do what he wants whenever he wants and however he wants and America be damned as his good friend Rev. Wright stated. Not an ounce of sympathy from me to the networks just now figuring out that being in the tank for Obama didn't buy them anything. I'm just waiting to say I told you so when the you know what starts to hit their jobs and wallets like it has mine.

March 23 2009 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

How about either letting him come on at 7:00 PM or letting him speak for 3 hours on Saturday night since there is nothing on then?

March 23 2009 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

I am so tired of this guy...even my liberal friends were complaining and making fun of him this weekend.

I have a lot worse to say but the civilian military he is building may come.

March 23 2009 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
travis

Rocketboy, Well said and u couldn't b more accurate.

March 23 2009 at 4:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Pull their broadcast licenses, need to jerk the chains of the dogs from time to time to remind them who the master is. And this is would apply to either party in control.

March 22 2009 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Picviewer's comment
Picviewer

Lovely nice to have a script with no post edit feature, it is only 2009 and it's so hard to find one right? drop the is from my last sentence.

March 22 2009 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

Note - Bones is no longer on Tuesdays. It's on Thursdays. (I keep forgetting, though).

I don't want to watch Obama update us when there's nothing to update. Even if there was something new - I'd much more likely read about it on the internet. I'd be flipping channels to NOT have to hear him talk. (People think he's a great orator - I don't see/hear it).

He reminds me of the mayor of Los Angeles - constantly on tv. Enough already - do your job, we don't need to hear about it.

March 22 2009 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. MacKay

Eugene,
Obama giving a speech is NOT want I want to hear. I know his plan already. I've read what I've seen so far on the budget. Now, if you make it a question and answer period, now we're talking. Campaign commercials I can do without. Talking about the nuts and bolts of the economy and his budget plan is when the people are served better. Face the Nation, Chris Wallace, etc, etc. He can show up there on Sunday's and make all the news circuits. Here's some questions that Obama should answer.
1. Why does Geitner still have a job? You said that he would unveil a detailed fix for the toxic assets on 10 Feb. It is now Mar and still no plan. Time says April. How can you say he is doing a great job and get no plan YET???
2. Related to question 1. Why haven't you filled the remaining Treasury positions that you are required to name?
3. What is your stance on the Constitutionality of what the House voted on raising taxes 90% on bonuses of TARP receiving companies?
I can dream someday the press will show up and ask real questions but I guess will have to see what 60 minutes comes up with (not good based on early reports).

March 21 2009 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply