October 25, 2014

The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Last Voyage of the Jimmy Carter

by Mike Moody, posted Mar 21st 2009 2:36AM
thomas dekker sarah connor

John Connor finally earned my respect. Did he earn yours?

This episode might have started out telling Jesse's story, but it was really about John and why he's destined to become the savior of humanity. Jesse has been scheming all season to turn John against Cameron and trusting reprogrammed "metal." Mistakenly, she assumed that John's decision to employ Terminators in the resistance was influenced by an emotional attachment he had to the machines.

Wrong!

As John pointed out during his confrontation with Jesse, machines can be replaced, fixed and even easily discarded. Human life, however, is sacred. In short, John would rather put a machine in danger than a human soldier, and that's why he places machines in key military positions. Because of his boyhood experiences, he knows that machines are cold, capable and, most of all, disposable. Friends and family are not. The last scene – with John choosing to cry on his mother's lap and not Cameron's – stressed this point.

The John-Jesse confrontation was the best part of this episode. I'm sure a lot of viewers were shocked to learn that John knew the truth about Riley for months. Turns out our boy's a lot smarter than we thought he was. And finally, we learned that John is more than a whiny teen with an attitude problem. He's smart, savvy and surprisingly wise. It's too bad season three is such a long shot. I'd love to follow John as he grows into his leadership role.

Where was Sarah in this ep? Her name is in the show's title, but she's rarely in the spotlight during the best episodes. The show is a lot more interesting when the drama revolves around John and Cameron, which is odd for a show called The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Cameron got a little twitchy again, but she didn't kill the bird this time. Sarah noticed something was off with her. She's never trusted Cameron, and I think Sarah's looking for an excuse to get rid of her. I wouldn't be surprised if she steals John's remote detonator. I can see a big John-Sarah confrontation over Cameron's future coming, but I think Cameron will end up proving her worth to Sarah once again.

Ellison continues to forget that John Henry is an evil f*cking machine and the harbinger of death for all mankind. OK, he might not be that evil. John Henry is still an X-factor. Is he the origin of Skynet, or is he what helps defeat it? Are he and Weaver connected to the T-1000 we saw aboard the Jimmy Carter?

Garret Dillahunt is excellent as John Henry, and I like that John Henry is forming an attachment to Ellison. How will this "friendship" influence John Henry and his relationship with Weaverbot?

I wasn't too thrilled by the sub scenes, which should have been a lot more exciting considering there was a rogue T-1000 on board. Why didn't this thing start haunting the place and killing everything Alien-style? And where did it come from? Cameron said that John wanted the T-1000 to join the resistance. This definitely adds weight to the theory that there are machines with conflicting agendas in the future.

Other observations:

• I don't think Jesse is dead, and I don't think we've seen the last of her. She'll be back to annoy me. That's just the way the world works.
  • Jesse's miscarriage rang false to me. It seemed like the writers had to shoehorn something like that in to account for her motivations.
  • I'm sick of the slow, sad and sappy theme music played during the quiet scenes on this show. It's almost as bad as Smallville.
  • The liquid metal effect still looks awkward on TV. I hope we see more T-888 models down the line. They just look and feel cooler on the small screen.

Kaley222

The Sarah Connor Chronicles CONFIRMED Cancelled 04-10-2009

Target Aquired, Confirmed and Terminated

March 27 2009 at 5:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kaley222

The Sarah Connor Chronicles CONFIRMED Cancelled 04-10-2009

Target Aquired, Confirmed and Terminated :-(

March 27 2009 at 4:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Solid episode. Goes back to what we talked about last week - the show is delving into what it will take to make JC a leader and what a toll it takes on him.

Thankfully Cameron was barely in it. If only they'd write out that "character".

March 22 2009 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Here's a theory.

Jesse wasn't from the same future as Derek came from (as they established). More to the point, this Jesse offered up Riley because of her hatred of "Metal" which was something Derek didn't think his Jesse was capable of.

Now in the sub scenes the T-1000 gave Jesse a message which basically translated into "we won't join you". That, to me, means the T-1000 and the other Terminators they met with when they picked up the package were not part of Skynet. They were some kind of off-shoot that didn't want to kill humans and was even willing to consider working with them.

So if we assume the sub mission that we saw didn't happen in Derek's timeline (since Jesse in his timeline didn't have such a hatred for "Metal") we can further assume the sub's orders were never changed. Perhaps because that off-shoot of terminators didn't exist in Derek's timeline.

So what has Derek changed (along with Cameron, John, and Sarah)?

The Answer: Cromartie became John Henry and John Henry was taught that human life is sacred. So it's possible that John Henry goes on to found the off-shoot of Terminators seen during the sub mission scene and that is why they are not part of Skynet

March 21 2009 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tom's comment
donkey23

I like your Cromartie theory, if that is where this show is headed with its mythos (and by that I mean two factions of skynet-type robots). I'm a little concerned with sticking to Terminator canon though, would love to hear people discuss the topic a little more.

I don't like your alternate timeline theory, though I have to admit it is at least possible. I think it opens TOO MANY doors and has too much of a "Outer Limits" feel to it. Plus, I don't think they were trying to establish it here--I thought those exchanges were meant to be taken on a purely emotional level. If alternate timelines exist, then the whole continuity of the storyline breaks down, because we lose cause and effect at any point in the story.

March 26 2009 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
honey

I've watched this show from the beginning and I'm always satisfied by the small moments where we see the humanity and frailty of the characters, as opposed to their prowess or resolve. Last night had many of those small moments (John/Derek talking in the hotel room, for example). Last night's episode was the best of the season so far. I hope it gets picked up for another season.

March 21 2009 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

loved the episode, if the rest of the season is this good I'll be very very happy.

March 21 2009 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

@Dave B

The song was "New Messiah", by Dead Heart Bloom. I just listened to it. You won't hear the good part (or the part from the episode) until about 2 minutes from the end. If you want to hear it before you buy it on iTunes, go to their MySpace page.

March 21 2009 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

BTW, Mike, "Today is the Day - Part 2" is the official title for the episode. FOX accidentally released an older working title for it. Another one was "Crush Depth."

Official source: http://www.fox.com/blogs/terminator/2009/03/19/on-titles/

March 21 2009 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ghottistyx

The name of the song is "New Messiah" by Desert Heart Bloom.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that John knew about Riley's secret. I was starting to wonder how a smart guy like John, who obviously seems to be on top of many other things (like gun registration laws in California and repercussions of child services showing up at the door) can not have made p's and q's of the obvious hints Riley has dropped about being from the future. In "Mr. Ferguson Is Ill Today", before it was revealed to us that Riley is from the future, I thought there was something strange about how congenial Riley was acting toward the whole situation. Oh, she wanted to know who Cromartie was and what was going on, but otherwhise she was acting rather cool about the whole situation (too cool in fact).

Also, I think this is the first episode where we really see the humane side of Jesse. She obviously was never in a interenment camp, like Derek or Dietz. This is why they both would have a natural aversion to Queeg, Cameron, and other metal who are given positions of power in the resistance. I actually found myself slightly sympathising with Jesse at first--before John put in perspective the difference between metal and human life.

Meanwhile, the question still arises whether Ellison will be able to teach John Henry to value human life. Weaver obviously doesn't (ergo the 'resignation letters' she has on file). "Humans will disappoint you." In all scenarios, Skynet gets paranoid, someone tries shutting it down, but it fights back. Which way will John Henry sway.

March 21 2009 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave B

What was the name of the song that was playing when Derek and Jessie were talking in the parking lot?

March 21 2009 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply