April 23, 2014

Chelsea Handler inks new deal with Comcast - I'm saved!

by Jane Boursaw, posted Mar 24th 2009 8:08AM
Chelsea Handler and ChuyI cover the night shift at TV Squad, which means I edit and schedule posts in the blogging queue from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. I actually like the quiet time to work, since my household is pretty noisy during the day.

But one thing that gets me through the night is Chelsea Lately, the late night talk show featuring comedian Chelsea Handler and her little nugget Chuy. In my neck of the woods, her show airs at 3 and 3:30 a.m., just the exact moment I need a boost to carry me through to morning.

So I was pretty excited to read that Chelsea's inked a shiny new deal with Comcast Entertainment Group. The agreement includes continuing to exec produce and star in her E! show, Chelsea Lately, through 2012. She's also establishing a new company, Borderline Amazing Productions, which will have a first-look deal with Comcast's cable networks.

I think her boyfriend is a head honcho there, so if that has anything to do with it, well, more power to her. But I don't think she needs to sleep with anyone at the network to be successful. She's pretty funny all on her own.

I like to think that I discovered Chelsea Lately, that it's a nice little secret between me and Chelsea, and of course, our little nugget, Chuy. He's the acidically adorable little sidekick who can both shovel it out and take it, where Chelsea's concerned. She yells, "Shut your face!" And he yells back, "Shut up, bitch!" How these exchanges manage to be sweet and enduring is beyond me. And yet, they are. You can tell these two really like each other amidst the name-calling and profanity.

Chelsea Handler is one of those comedians who can say exactly what she's thinking, which is usually what the rest of us are thinking but are too polite to say, and do it without sounding mean. She's just speaking the truth, calling various celebrities "losers" and "hot messes," and admiring a guest's "gay shoes."

And Chuy! Oh that little nugget! Only he could dress up as Cupid or diss a Rabbi at a Jewish dinner and get away with it. There's just something about Chuy.

Anyone else love Chelsea Lately as much as I do? I'd love to hear your Chelsea stories, but just remember, I discovered her first.

iamhoff

Sweet! More Chelsea fans! It always seems like me and the GF are the only ones who know about the show (minus the audience, duh). Chelsea comes on at 11 here in San Diego, so it's usually the last thing the GF and I watch before turning in. Between the roundtable and Chuy, it is some of the funnay-est stuff on TV!

March 24 2009 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan Olsen

I am glad to hear this, but why does it have to air at 11:00 PM during my local news... Oh wait that's what a TiVo is for.

March 24 2009 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison

I'm a fan. I've never been into watching Letterman or Leno, but I like watching half or even all of her show before I hit the hay. Now I'm starting to get the "late night" TV thing, which I never did before.

March 24 2009 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Ah, the benefits of sleeping with the head of E!.

March 24 2009 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carrie

My brother recently told me that her and I were the same person or some such nonsense. So I started TiVo-ing the show to see what he was talking about. Now it's usually the first thing I watch each day. I, too, feel like it's some treasure that I've found that no one else knows about. I'm impressed by how consistently hilarious the show is, something the rest of latenight tv could certainly learn from. She obviously works hard and deserves all the good that's coming out of that.

March 24 2009 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Finally! I am very pleased to see a review on TV Squad of the Chelsea Lately show. I love Chelsea! Her show is hilarious, especially whenever she has Loni Love on her roundtable. Those two are almost equal in the Chelsea/Chuy dynamic.

I have been a long time fan of Chelsea Handler and used to TiVo her show "Girls Behaving Badly" back when it was on Oxygen. It was fresh, hilarious, and Chelsea was just as entertaining to watch pulling hidden camera pranks as she is hosting her own talk/comedy show.

After reading her laugh out loud book, "My Horizontal Life", I was worried she might start fading now after hitting her peak. Seems like maybe she is just getting started. Now we have at least 3 more years of some great moments with Chelsea!!

-Chris