April 16, 2014

Big doings on the Big Love finale

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 25th 2009 10:03AM
big love familyThe season three finale of Big Love the other night left viewers with one heck of a cliffhanger. It also revealed some major secrets and saw the Hendricksons on the verge of a brave new world. If you haven't watched yet and don't want to be spoiled, now's the time to stop reading.

On the other hand, if you're still pondering what it all meant, jump with me and let's consider what we watched.

First, there's Roman's fate. Is he or is he not dead? Joey sure looked like he snuffed the life out of the self-declared prophet, but this is a man that has survived deadly attacks before. While it sure seemed like Roman was a goner, would you be shocked to find out that Adaleen showed up moments after Joey left and gave the old man mouth to mouth and brought him back to life?

If he is dead and assuming Alby survived the letter bomb, will he take over Juniper Creek? And how prescient was it that Nikki managed to get get back into the Hendrickson clan and wriggle out of her alliance with Alby before he mucked up the attempt on their mother? Leave it to Nikki to always land on her feet.

Other major developments include the revelation that the "infamous letter" was a fraud -- that Roman's been falsifying church documents for years -- that Sarah and Scott were going to be married, and Margene is on the verge of launching a huge business selling Native American Indian art on a home shopping channel.

But the biggest whopper of them all was Bill's decision -- based on Roman's kissing confession to take control from God? -- to form a new religion among his own family! With Barb expelled from LDS -- despite her experiencing the special endowment ceremony last week with her mother and sister -- and Bill's antipathy for the Juniper Creek compound, where were the Hendricksons to go for spiritual guidance? Bill seized the moment and gathered his family to perform a communion of sorts, declaring that they are their own religion.

Will this brave new start really take? Just because Nikki returned (with her previously unseen 14-year-old daughter in tow) to the fold, will Bill take her back as wife number two? Will Joey get away with the attempt, successful or not, on Roman?

It's going to be a long wait for more Big Love. Too long.

Adam E

I agree that things where wrapped up nicely, except.....Where's Teenie been?!

March 26 2009 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robyn

When does a married man become a polygamist? Did he legally 'marry' wives # 2 & 3, if so then he's a bigamist. If he 'takes' a wife in name, but not legally, isn't he just a dirty old man who can't commit to just one woman, but can commit to more than one? "Big Love" turned me off early on because Bill jsut comes across as a creepy guy who wants his Kate and Edith too.

March 25 2009 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

Everyone knows Bill is a polygamist but the government never tries to arrest him. Why not?

March 25 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Def think Nikkie was speaking hypathically, whereas Alby was considering doing the deed. Ugh...Kinda wish Nikkie didnt came back to the clan. Ugh..she just annoys me. I'm wondering if her 14 yr old daughter will be a new addition to the cast. She looks cute and innocent, but Im sure that will change for next season. Love Margene new look...loved her commercial. I just love her...she's just too adorable. I think its ironic seeing Sarah's b/f Scott on Big Love, since he's just a bad ass on Breaking Bad!!!! Love him!!! *sigh* I hate that Big Love ended already!!!

March 25 2009 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

When reading this all I could think of was an epsiode of SOAP about what would happen on the next episode of ... SOAP!

March 25 2009 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chaosrain

I have been telling my wife that Bill will return to the compound to run it and change it's operation. His father was the previous Prophet and died before he was old enough to take control. Bill was kicked out of the compound when he reached maturity both because he was competition to the dirty old men who wanted their pick from the Joy Book and because he was the rightful heir to the Juniper Creek throne.

I did a bit of research and by declaring that he now holds the "keys to the kingdom" Bill has effectively declared himself the prophet of his own variation of FLDS. With Roman dead and Alby in the hospital (and probably on his way to prison for the bombing) there will be a power vacuum at Juniper Creek. I think it's possible that Nikki's ex-husband may fill it temporarily because the actor playing him is too powerful to let languish in a bit role, but I still think that, like it or not, Bill will end up returning to the compound to lead. I think the whole show's been slowly leading up to it.

March 25 2009 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chaosrain's comment
Jenny

It was Bill's grandfather who was the previoius Prophet, not his father. His father, Frank, is still alive.

March 25 2009 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr. Beast

It wasn't really a cliffhanger. But it was a great episode. I also didn't think that the "new religion" was anything momentous. The Henrickson's always seemed to have their own beliefs that were unlike LDS and unlike Juniper Creek so I was non-plussed when it happened in the episode, and a bit surprised that reviews made such a big deal about it.

I also agree that Nikki was being totally hypothetical with Alby (although she was enjoying the thoughts). But I think the big twist for the next season will be that Alby was secretly taping the conversation and will use it against Nikki and her mother.

March 25 2009 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mr. Beast's comment
moreartplease

I couldn't agree more. As soon as they struggled to make a letter bomb (Nikki's suggestion) rather than a much simpler pipe bomb (Albie's) I though the same thing. Albie is setting her up to take the fall.

March 25 2009 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I gotta say that I didn't think this season ended in a cliffhanger. I really thought that everything was wrapped up nicely. Other than what will happen at Juniper Creek all questions were answered. I was happy that the season ended the way it did, and I look forward to where it will go next season.

March 25 2009 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhomboid

Was it just me or did anyone else get the idea that when Alby and Nicky were discussing the pipe bomb idea, he was speaking literally while she was speaking hypothetically, i.e. she had no idea that he actually intended to commit murder?

Also, I really love how they introduced the element of Margie's financial and business acumen. It seems like there will be a clear source of tension if her business thrives while Bill's casino gets mired down in red tape and failure. I get the impression that Bill is not the sort to be very content with having a wife make more than he does. However, with the deal he struck with the LDS they may have hinted that the casino deal will in fact go through so who knows.

I also find it interesting that Big Love tends to jump ahead in time significantly between seasons so when s4 does eventually return I wouldn't be surprised if either or both new businesses are well on their way.

March 25 2009 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matthew m. barnes

is it just me or has the meaning of the word "cliffhanger" been totally warped?

despite what this article (and Bill Paxton) say, there was not a cliffhanger in this episode. it felt pretty neatly wrapped up just like last season.

Roman's dead. if he's not... that just ridiculous. Bill started the Church of Bill... not at all a shocker.

it was a good episode... a great one even. but a cliffhanger? not exactly.

March 25 2009 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply