July 24, 2014

It's the New Zoo Revue, coming right at you! - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 25th 2009 3:05PM
New Zoo RevueThose of you of a certain age - and by certain age I mean middle-aged or at least approaching middle age - will find that this video brings about a flood of memories.

Who remembers The New Zoo Revue? It was one of my regular early morning shows when I was a kid, along with Jabberwocky. It was about a small town inhabited by a giant talking frog named Freddie, a giant talking owl named Charlie, and a giant talking hippo named Henrietta. There were also humans that talked, Doug and Emmy Jo, but they were regular size.

Looking back, it's a very surreal, 70s educational show, but I guess it appealed to me when I was a kid. It went off the air in 1975, but before it did, the cast decided to have a little fun. In this outtake after the jump, things get a little raunchy. It's like they're saying, oh, the hell with it, this gig isn't going to last anyway. Needless to say, it's NSFW, even if the words are coming out of giant animals.

(As a bonus, here's another clip, featuring Mr. Dingle. Can you tell which future game show host that is?)

ManekiNeko

I dunno, but the guy getting the mail from him sounds like the Micro Machines spokesman (Moschitta?).

March 29 2009 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amber

I had no idea it stopped in 1975. I remember watching it in the early 80's at like 6AM on Saturday mornings before cartoons came on on some little local station.

March 26 2009 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Whalen

You're trying to help folks remember their funny, tender childhood memories and THAT is the example you find? Holy God! You've just killed my childhood!

(I'm kidding.)

March 25 2009 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bruce Bromley

I've always loved this clip. I have the old "Goodtimes" blooper VHS tape the clip is from, hence the GT in the lower right. Back in the day I wished I had Emmy Jo as my sitter.

March 25 2009 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robyn

That's Chuck Woolery playing Mr. Dingle

March 25 2009 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

Blast from the past!!!! thanks... Great Space Coaster next?

no gnus is good gnus....

March 25 2009 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

WOW!!!! A blast from the past! Im 33 and I do remember these puppets. I guess I was watching repeats then, since I was born in 1975.

March 25 2009 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Wow. I'm constantly shocked at what passed for normal language in the 70s would be considered completely offensive today (I'm talking about the actors' casual use of the word "faggot"). I was a kid at the time, so it's not like I didn't hear similar talk. I just seems more shocking in retrospect.

March 25 2009 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply