April 24, 2014

Sharona returning to Monk

by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 25th 2009 9:05AM
The final season of the show that made USA famous for something other than playing non-stop reruns of Wings is turning into a reunion special. Or should I say a special reunion?

Bitty Schram, the actress who played Sharona, Adrian Monk's original partner in fighting crime on Monk, will return for an episode sometime during the show's eighth and final season.

This will mark her first appearance on the comedy-mystery since she mysteriously disappeared from the show halfway through the third season. It should also make for an interesting close to a series that has redefined the way the higher channels on the dial create and produce their own series.

I've really missed Sharona since she left the show. No disrespect to actress Traylor Howard. She has done an excellent job as Natalie Teeger and saved it from certain doom when Sharona jumped out of the script. Schram left the show in the middle of the third season because of contract problems, creative differences or whatever reason producers pulled out of their random fishbowl excuse generator.

But Sharona brought an interesting ying to Monk's yang. She had a tough emotional exterior but also served as a great force of exasperation to Monk's constant edginess. She was the B.A. to Monk's Hannibal, only with far less jewelry and a lesser likelihood of getting your ass beaten to death with your own ass for making fun of her jewelry.

Her reappearance will not only bring closure to a great series, but could reignite some abandonment issues and other clinical problems for ol' Monky depending on when she returns. Monk is the closest my TV has come to creating a pure schadenfreude comedy. The more whacked out Monk becomes, the funnier the show will be. Here's hoping Monk is a drooling fetal ball by the time the final credits roll.

Zorgen

I am sooooo glad Sharona left the show. She brought it down. She was obnoxious, rude, mean to Monk and kinda fat. I was not impressed with the part she played. Now Natalie was WONDERFUL! She was pretty, had a heart and played the part perfectly. I simply cannot understand people that enjoyed the Sharona character. Possibly the majority of then are fat bitchy women. Ahh yeah, that fits.

June 20 2012 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

I'm glad it's only one episode. I love Natalie. Sharona was ok, and I liked her, until Natalie game along and then I didn't.

I would love for Sharona and Natalie to get into it, and monk have to chose between them.

March 26 2009 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MadMup

I liked Sharona when she was on, but quickly became a Natalie fan. I'm not really looking forward to Sharona being back on, frankly, even for an episode.

March 26 2009 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Well, thank goodness. Honestly, I can't stand Monk without Sharona on it. I quit watching it this season because the guy NEEDS someone to give him a smackdown at times and god knows Natalie is too nice to.

March 26 2009 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jennifer's comment
Zorgen

Hahaha..you quit watching the show and we care? Sharon sucked. Natalie was a babe. The guy needs someone to give him a smackdown at times?? Huh. You must be one of those women who enjoy abusing their boyfriends or husbands. You must be a real catch, NOT!

June 20 2012 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
basil

I have watched Monk since the begininng and I don't miss Sharona in the least. I watch Monk for the laughs and not for closure.

March 25 2009 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

yay! times 2.

March 25 2009 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kim

Yeaahh.. I loved Sharona. If your family is like ours and needs extra money due to job loss or other hard times look at this internet opportunity. I am still looking for full time work but by visiting this website I am able to make extra money for groceries or costco :-) I'm not getting "rich quick" (like many claim) but it helps bring in more money for the family while I am out of work. I can do it from home while watching my kids. Try it, it will be worth Your time.

March 25 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

I like Sharona and missed her when Bitty Schram got herself fired, but I have to admit I don't know how much longer the relationship between the two characters was sustainable. Sharona being fully aware of the implications of all of his neuroses/etc was very "kid gloves" with Monk, whereas Natalie is more assistant and less nurse, and has much less patience for his shenanigans.

March 25 2009 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

Great news!

March 25 2009 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

I like Natalie, and was a fan of hers early on, but I know there are/were many fans who hated the switch. For me the show is owned by Tony Shaloub, and everyone around him while being good in thier roles, really serve as support. I hope bringing Sharona back brings closure to her character that the series never gave to the fans of hers.

March 25 2009 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply