July 23, 2014

Life on Mars: Everyone Knows It's Windy

by Brad Trechak, posted Mar 26th 2009 1:38AM
Life on Mars(S01E16) In our second-to-last episode, we get a few revelations about Sam and the reason behind his trip to 1973. Nothing conclusive, of course, but that's probably been saved for next week. Will Sam get back to 2009? Will he die? Will he get hit by another car and wake up in 1938? The mind boggles.

Sam is really adapting to his environment and becoming more brutal in his police work. Being stuck in a 1973 cop show is really rubbing off on him. On the plus side, even a bullet can't keep Michael Imperioli from delivering a great performance while in surgery. I think I'll miss you the most, Ray.

Congratulations to those who figured out in advance that Windy was one of the future figments of Sam's imagination. It was somewhat obvious from her previous appearances. What was she trying to say to Sam at the end? Are they dead? Is she from the future, as well?

Did you catch that the Aries Toy Company and Project Aries both use the word "Aries"? I didn't. And what was with that glow that Agent Morgan took on every time he spoke about the future?

Are they really using miniature robots to generate Sam's fantasy? It makes as much sense as anything else, and the creators did promise a different resolution than the original British version. I did like the quick homage to the ending of the Brit version by having Sam nearly jump off a roof (albeit at gunpoint).

I really hope Annie gets her detective badge before the series ends. She seems to be relegated to bedside/psychology chick and rarely gets to beat anybody up. I am glad that she and Sam are together now.

I know how Scott Adsit (cast member of 30 Rock and co-writer of Moral Orel) ended up on this episode! Both the creators of this show and Adsit were at the New York Comic Con, most likely just before they learned the show would not be renewed. He must have been cast at that time! That's the way these sort of things work. Deals get made at conventions and funerals.

At first, I thought Sam Tyler's father would be the killer. He has Sam's approximate build and could have been wearing a similar outfit. I liked this ending as well, and anybody who saw the montage from next week's show knows that Vic Tyler will be making one more appearance.

Favorite Michael Imperioli line of the episode: "If I knew who killed Jimmy McManus, I'd buy him a creme soda and introduce him to my cousin Millie, who has beautiful breasts."

Here's what we know: Sam is involved in some sort of experiment involving miniature robots in his brain that put him in a dream state. He's resisting this treatment, which is causing hallucinations and whatnot. Alternatively, Sam could be an Active from the Dollhouse.

Tonight's episode was very good, and while I'm sorry this show is going, I wonder if the current and future versions of television would be better served with fewer series and more mini-series. Just a thought.

toby

I agree that this show was too "intelligent" to continue on a regular network like ABC. ABC should stand for "already been canceled.
Apparently ABC thinks that the American public is only interested in so called reality shows. If that is so, then it shows the "dumbing" down of America.The only reality is
that these shows are far less costly to the network. They avoid paying competent actors and writers decent salaries
for their talents.

March 28 2009 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Cook

Life On Mars is one of the best shows to ever be aired, but as uasual ABC-Disney will kill anything that is done well in order to air a dumb, brainless reality show. Somehow they, in their infinite wisdome think that I would rather dance with the stars. NOT! After next week, April 1st, my ABC viewing will stop; or if you will, be cancelled. Kudos ABC for being the dumbest broadcasting network in the history of mankind.
Kudos for the superior cast of LOM I won't forget you, but most of all I will not forget Gretchen because I fell in love with her Annie Norris, she became the perfect 1970's "everywoman."

I know that she and the others of the cast are looking for new jobs, and I know that they need a paycheck as much as I do, but if they show up on ABC i won't watch them there. I AM DONE WITH ABC-DISNEY. GOOD BYE, AND GOOD RIDANCE ABC.

March 27 2009 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suzanne

I am hoping that they take the cast and do another show or someone picks up Life on Mars, perhaps TNT or HBO.( I would even subscribe to HBO again).
How about FX - somebody PLease.
I almost cried when I heard it was canceled.
This is the best show I have watched ever! ever !ever.!
Please bring it back.
Seriously, Where can you find such a talented cast.?

March 26 2009 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

What was Wendy's quote at the end of the show?

March 26 2009 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donkey23

Didn't the original British series just have one season? If so, doesn't that at least have some nice synchronicity with this one wrapping up its story in just one season? I myself only caught bits and pieces of this show, maybe a full episode here and there, and I always thought it looked like an interesting show. But I never could get into it. I might be one of those people that thinks the '70s are better left in the past. As for this new show, "The Unusuals," it looks interesting--don't know why anyone wouldn't give it a chance...

March 26 2009 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claudia

I love this show! I will never get hooked on any new shows on ABC again. I loved Invasion and they took that off the air too. As other people have commented, the acting is wonderful on this show. I wish the SCI Fi channel could somehow pick it up. I will also be waiting for the DVD to come out and I will consider this show to be a mini-series since ABC is at least giving us an ending to it. Also, I can't believe what they are replacing it with. What a JOKE.

March 26 2009 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

I've enjoyed Life on Mars all along. I think the show hit its stride shortly before the cancellation announcement, but on the bright side at least we don't have to watch the writers scrape for ideas over the course of three or four seasons.

Ultimately, the economy is to blame. Between the salaries and the period detail, Life on Mars had to pull in some pretty massive ratings to survive.

March 26 2009 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

Maybe Sam's Alpha. In Dollhouse. Just kidding.

Anyway, I loved tonight's episode, and yes, I figured Wendy was fake in episode three, I think. Sigh. I'll miss this show.

March 26 2009 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Wait -- I thought all the stuff that was said to Sam was made up to get him to jump.

Is it supposed to be true?

March 26 2009 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michael kraft

Nice shout out to Cheap Trick! Reciting to the lyrics to DREAM POLICE on the roof!

March 26 2009 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply