American Idol: 1 of 10 goes home

by Jane Boursaw, posted Mar 27th 2009 12:16AM

American Idol - 1 of 10 goes homeThis being the results show of Motown Night, the Idols sang a montage of Motown hits against a backdrop of classic Motown stars. Very nice. I also liked the Ford commercial, with the contestants putting together giant puzzle pieces while singing "Take Me Away." They look like they're having a blast.

Then the Velvet Teddy Bear Ruben Studdard sang a tune, and Ryan mentions that he was recently married. Congrats to Ruben!

And then the countdown begins with Adam Lambert up first. I can't imagine that he'd be going home, and sure enough, he's safe. With his ability to show such vastly different sides of his artistic talent, Adam has launched himself straight to the top of my favorites list.

American Idol' Season 8 Results

Feb. 26, 2009: Adam Lambert Makes the Top 12
    "I like this guy more than [David] Cook, he is just more energetic and he owned the night."

-- Lindahbird

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Nick Mitchell Is Eliminated (For Now)
    "We all know that Norman will not win 'Idol,' but I'm glad that he was in the Top 36, and he does have a good voice! He was very entertaining and funny, and I'm glad that he was chosen for Top 36! He will probably get some gigs in Hollyweird! I actually voted for him, ha ha!"

-- PinkSunset77

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Allison Iraheta Makes the Top 12
    "She is just awesome ... there is so much talent in that 16-year-old ... just amazing!! She really is my favorite so far. But it has been a tough couple of weeks as far as song choice!!!"

-- DEBBIE8863

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Kris Allen Makes the Top 12
    "He's cute and I liked him but I thought that Matt had more potential."

-- BESTBUNNY10

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Nick Mitchell Is Eliminated (For Now)
    "I honestly don't think Norman is the least bit funny. I think he is making a huge joke out of 'American Idol.' There are 35 other contestants that are being serious and really trying and then there is Norman."

-- Bpadra

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Megan Corkrey Is Eliminated (For Now)
    "I knew I liked this wild card thing. Megan will be back."

-- PETCRAB

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Adam Lambert Makes the Top 12
    "I didn't care for him at all. I thought he was way over the top and way too theatrical for that song. I'm sure he'll get through. I'll be interested to see what he does when they have themes. Maybe he'll grow on me, but right now I would put him second or third behind some of the other ones I've heard."

-- JandeCBS

Fox

Feb. 18, 2009: Danny Gokey Makes the Top 12
    "When [Danny] and Tatiana were called up, he had the cockiest look on his face.
    Like he's a really good singer, but whenever I see him, I just think about how cocky he looks."

-- RoshanMcG

Fox

Feb. 18, 2009: Alexis Grace Makes the Top 12
    "Alexis is the whole package! So cute ... with such a big voice."

-- clammy1954

Fox

Feb. 18, 2009: Michael Sarver Makes the Top 12
    "I don't really get the appeal. I mean, he's a likeable guy, but as a performer, he just doesn't seem that good to me. I definitely thought Ricky and Anoop sounded better."

-- TGirl1045

Fox

Kris Allen and Lil Rounds are safe, but Matt Giraud and Michael Sarver aren't so lucky, and end up in the bottom three. But before we can learn who the third person is, we hear a duet by Smokey Robinson and Joss Stone, singing "You're the One for Me." Joss sounds like she buzzed on something, and it's all a little creepy, like Smokey's wooing his granddaughter or something.

After this, we learn that Allison Iraheta, Anoop Desai, Danny Gokey, and Megan Joy Corkrey (really?!) are safe, but Scott Macintyre joins Michael and Matt in the bottom three. Randy Jackson said Matt's been "rockin' the mike," and didn't deserve to be there. Then Ryan immediately sends Scott back to safety.

It's sweet how they all look after Scott, and I still think it's ultra-cool that a blind guy is on the stage. Actually, TWO blind guys because Stevie Wonder does a medley of popular favorites. I never get tired of hearing him sing. He just gets better all the time, and the Idols are having a blast rocking out on the sidelines. Of course, Stevie has to throw in a political PSA and yell out, "I love you, Barack Obama!" It seems a little weird, but whatever.

Then Ryan gives the results. Matt is safe, while Michael has to sing for his survival. The judges take their sweet time deciding whether he should stay, and they seem mixed on the ruling. But Simon steps up and makes the decision. "Michael, you're going home."

I'm not surprised, though I thought Megan might be the one. Still, it's awesome that Michael made it this far. What did you think of tonight's results?

Preston

I think that the voters want to see Megan Joy get better in her performances. If she doesn't get any stronger, they'll back off and eliminate her. Her last few performances haven't been good. And I feel that Danny Gokey and Lil Rounds need to get better because they're being challenged by Matt, Kris, Allison and even Anoop. Those four have become better in their performances and Danny and Lil slipped a little, getting mixed judges' reactions on Motown week.

March 29 2009 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Historically and studies have been done -- and published in usatoday last year i think --- that the first person to sing -- usually gets the lowest votes (that was matt giraud) because more people watch as the night goes on with more people getting home.

Matt Giraud is one of the top 3 and he should never be in the bottom. HE'S GREAT and I hope all you fans who do like him, vote for him and not try to save someone else. Everyone please save one vote for Matt Giraud, he deserves to be there and actually win.

March 27 2009 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jake's comment
Trish

Matt is good, but not memorable. Nothing special.

March 28 2009 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

It was time for Michael to go home, and he probably should have gone home last week. I like the guy but I don't know if he belongs in the top 10. I really wish Adam would go next, but I think he will make the top 3. I'm guessing Megan, Scott, and Kris will be the next three to go, in some order. I like them all better than Lil Rounds or Adam Lambert.

March 27 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kt1268

Matt should NOT have been in the bottom 3!! The Smnokey and Joss song was creepy. He wouldn't take his eyes off her and she seemed to be trying to get away from him!

March 27 2009 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Philip

I think the song they performed during the Ford commercial was "Pocketful of Sunshine," not "Take Me Away."

March 27 2009 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Philip's comment
Adam E

I would agree..

March 27 2009 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

What was Matt doing in the bottom three after Megan mangled yet another performance? Strange things happen in the voting. To me it was a toss up between who should go home, between Michael and Scott. Scott has done nothing to impress me and his performances tend to be awful, so I would have sent him home before Michael, but I wont quibble about it. Now, once we get rid of Scott and Megan it will definitely be on and we will get down to the nitty gritty. Thats when the cuts will really start to hurt,
cause everyone who is left will be a good singer, capable of giving good, interesting performances.
Great night of music too, by the way, with Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder showing why they are legends. Even Rueben sounded good. I dont say that to diss Rueben, its just when I have heard him when he was really heavy, he just didnt have the wind and the stamina to deliver an entire song. That wasnt a problem last night, and I was glad to see it. Joss Stone, however, I could have done without. Critics rave about her, and she does have a good voice, but I am just not a fan. Did anyone else think that she and Megan are sound alikes, to a certain degree? They both have that odd, phrasing or pronunciation thing going on when they sing. Its hard to tell exactly what it is.

March 27 2009 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to NightOwl's comment
Dan

My girlfriend said that Megan and Joss Stone sound the same...I'm thinking more like Adele or someone from the 1940s era. I actually didn't like either legend's performance (and I'm a HUGE fan of both of them) their voices and performances have clearly aged like they have...well, like Stevie has, how much plastic surgery has Smokey had? I found the duet to feel kinda creepy, Reuben was boring and off key and Stevie sounded like a shell of himself. The only good thing about the show was that Scott was in the bottom three (probably 2nd from the bottom and not third, the producers like to do that sometimes) and Michael is finally gone. That guy deserved to be gone long ago.

March 27 2009 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Megan sounds like Nellie McKay -- only not as good.

March 27 2009 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

Michael is a nice and sincere guy. But this is the farthest point he can reach, so he deserves to go home.
Scoot deserves much better than being in bottom 3. Not everyone can sing and play piano simultaneously, especially just 1 week to practice. A blind guy can do that. What else can we expect? Boo Paula out, "stop using the piano as a crutch"???? Stupid.
Matt is even better than some others, for example Megan. I myself never see her seriousness in this competition.

March 27 2009 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Sending Michael home was a no-brainer. Good work, America. Now if we could only get Megan in the bottom three.

Other thoughts from last night's show:

* The group medley was horrible. Not only was it lip-synched, it was pre-recorded. (So was the opening, for some reason.)

* Stevie's performance was great, but I was put-off by the shout-out to Obama. We know, Stevie. We know.

* I was wondering if Paula would say something stupid after Stevie's performance, like, "We'd like to see you stop using the piano as a crutch."

* And finally, as if anyone needs to be reminded, Seacrest is a world-class dweeb.

March 27 2009 at 6:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
5 replies to Jim's comment
Phish

America got the bottom 3 absolutely right.
Michael, although a nice guy, really deserved to go home.

March 27 2009 at 4:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Phish's comment
Dan

Dude, you actually think that Matt is the bottom 3? Two of the bottom three were right, but Matt is better than almost everyone in the competition, he should be in the TOP 3.

March 27 2009 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Sorry, but America got the bottom 3 wrong this week. Lil and/or Megan should have been there instead of Matt. Matt's one of the best left. He's no Adam, but he's better than most everybody else.

March 27 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply