October 22, 2014

In the Motherhood: It Takes A Village Idiot (series premiere)

by Kona Gallagher, posted Mar 27th 2009 1:46AM
in the motherhood
I just had a baby six months ago, so like all new moms, all I do is talk about him. I'm quite boring, really. So when I started seeing ads for In the Motherhood, a new series based upon stories from real mothers, I got excited. A comedy that centers directly around my new focus in life? Sweet!

I was hoping for a show that shared funny, ridiculous stories about pregnancy, after-baby relationships and parenting mishaps. While In the Motherhood had plenty of ridiculous stories about these topics, they were a little short on the funny. I wanted to like this show, I should have liked this show, but ... I just didn't.

For a series that is supposed to be based on real stories, it just seemed ridiculously inauthentic. The characters and storylines were hyperbolic versions of real-world situations, and while I accept hyperbole in the pursuit of comedy, In the Motherhood took it to such an extreme that nothing about it was in any way relatable.

Megan Mullally's storyline is a perfect example of where In the Motherhood doesn't work. With Angelina and all of the other young, gorgeous celebrities being constantly fawned over when they decide to reproduce, the impetus behind Mullally's character, Rosemary, deciding to fake a pregnancy is present and believable. As a 50-year-old woman who was pregnant before the current baby craze started, she feels left out of the heaping adoration she feels is placed upon pregnant women, so she decides to get a piece of the action herself.

There is a lot of comedy in this concept. They could have played it relatively straight and made it funny. Instead, they went completely over-the-top and made everybody around Rosemary completely stupid. Even though her pregnancy belly is made up of nothing more than a lumpy stuffed animal, nobody questions it--not even other pregnant women, when in reality, when you run into another pregnant woman, all you do is look at her body and size her up and compare her growth to your own. Yet not one of them them thought, "Man.That looks suspiciously like a stuffed bedbug?"

I very rarely ask for more exposition in a show, but Cheryl Hines' character is another point of confusion for me. She goes on and on about how it's been forever since she's had a date or had sex, but she has a baby who can't be more than about five or six months old. Who's the father?

Even if he was a one-night stand and that baby's conception is the last time she had sex or went on a date, that's not an untoward amount of time. Sure, a year or so is forever to a single person, but when you're dealing with a pregnancy and then follow that up with pushing another human being out of you, then it has definitely not been a long time since anyone has seen you "down there," as she says. Because, seriously? So many people have, that you may as well have a neon sign and a revolving door.

In the Motherhood
really just feels like it was written by people who not only do not have children, but have probably never been in the same room as one. I was completely predisposed to liking this show, and it got maybe a single chuckle out of me during the entire episode. Megan Mullally is great and does the best she can with her role, but unfortunately, her talent is all but wasted on this show.

This afternoon, I was walking my dog while carrying my baby. I had just picked up my dog's poop, when my son managed to vomit on both of us. I'm power-walking back to the house in the rain with a dog, a bag of poop, and a baby, holding him away from me so the vomit doesn't get smeared around, and gagging because it got in my hair and it's right by my nose. That's not even a particularly bad day -- it's just Thursday. Motherhood is ridiculous enough as it is; there's really no need to try so hard.

pantrygirl

I agree. motherhood is funny as is. The writers need to stop trying so hard.

March 28 2009 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

Hey, I liked it. Megan Mullally played the same type of wise-cracking character as Karen on "W&G". Cheryl Hines plays the same ditzy milf as on "CYE" and Rachel Harris plays to comedy type as she did as "Cooper" in "Notes from the Underbelly". Don't overthink it people, it was decent enough, and if you let ABC kill it you're going to get yet another reality show in its place, so let's get on board with it ok ?

March 27 2009 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven

Why didn't they keep the original actresses ?

At least we can see Chelsea Handler on the recently renewed "Chelsea Lately".

March 27 2009 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

I thought this show was really awful. I was counting down the minutes until it was over to watch Samantha Who. The characters are annoying and unsympathetic and the show was not funny at all. I can't believe they have this on instead of Ugly Betty, which is not even that great these days, but still better than this.

March 27 2009 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

This show sounds like one of the bad "fake" sketches that they showed on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

Hopefully Cherly Hines hasn't quit her once-every-two-years-for-a-few-days job on CYE.

March 27 2009 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maria

I think you need to be without child to enjoy this show. I thought it was light and funny. Just what I want in a simple sitcom. I do not have children, never gave birth, never drank the koolaid of motherhood where all I talk and obsess about is my own childs stories.
As the other comment said:
For a mommy-bonding session hit up facebook!
I seriously think that is why you didnt like it.
It was just what I needed-light, fun and funny!

March 27 2009 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

Your dog poop/vomit story was way funnier than the show! Reminded me of when my daughter was a baby and she was jumping with glee in one of those circular bouncy seat things. She jumped so energetically that poop came out of her diaper. It must have felt good squishing the poop with her chubby little feet. By the time I caught a whiff of something, she was covered in poop from her knees down and the floor of the bouncy seat was covered in ground in poop as well. All in a days work once you're a parent :-)

And yes - a pregnant women's belly feels firm. If you touched the belly of a woman who had a stuffed animal under her shirt, you'd know something wasn't right.

March 27 2009 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to deebopalula's comment
Sancty

Are we forgetting this is a sitcom?

I didn't particularly like it, but when watching a sitcom you need to bring a healthy suspension of disbelief

So the belly feels like a stuffed animal? So what?

For a mommy-bonding session hit up facebook!

March 27 2009 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

Yes, but a sitcom should also be funny and I just did not find this to be the case with "Motherhood". Of course it probably didn't help that I watched 30 Rock after I watched this and it was one of the funniest 30 Rock episodes ever.....

March 27 2009 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sancty

Why does being a mother of two factor into your review at all?

I don't have to be a Dr. to appreciate E.R. or Grey's Anatomy but for some reason being a mother will play into this?

Just sad!

March 27 2009 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Im a mother of 2 and I was disappointed. Im willing to give it a couple more episodes and if it doesn't pick up, I wont plan on watching it anymore.

March 27 2009 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rmpr

they completely ruined the concept of the show. If you guys wanna be enetertained and have some laughs you should watch the In the Motherhood with Leah Remini and Chelsea Handler the web series. It is soo much better and maybe if ABC wasnt so greedy and stupid, they should've just made the web series a TV show with the same actresses, that would've been a success

March 27 2009 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply