October 30, 2014

CBS to decide Guiding Light's fate this week

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 30th 2009 5:05PM
guiding logoIt looks the lighthouse may be switched off before the end of 2009. CBS is expected to determine whether or not to renew Guiding Light later this week. All things considered, I think the network is going to call it a day for the 72-year-old soap opera.

The ratings have been lagging and the way Guiding Light is situated around the country – being broadcast in different time slots instead of having a regular fixed time like the rest of the CBS soaps – it's not likely to ever challenge in the Nielsens.

And you can't even use the old standby argument that Guiding Light is the best soap on TV – an Emmy winner – because this past year has been a rough one for the show. Changing the filming from traditional studio sets to something raw like cinéma vérité ("let's shoot in a parking lot or under a tree"), hasn't helped. In fact, it's been distracting and hard to get used to, despite the still prominent actors and good stories.

The return of Grant Aleksander earlier this year has helped a bit, but overall, I'd be lying if I said I have great faith in CBS sticking with the show beyond the September 2009 end date.

Still, if the show gets a reprieve – even if it's only to keep it on the air for three more years so it can reach its 75th anniversary, an historic achievement that would probably never be equaled (not even by Law & Order!) – I'll be the first to cheer. In fact, maybe that's what CBS should announce. The end of Guiding Light will be on the 75th anniversary. Set a final date and let fans enjoy till then.

Unfortunately for a soap fan like me, I have to face the fact that daytime has changed to point that soap operas are no longer viable entertainment. Reality shows, talk, judge shows and even sitcom reruns in syndication could be what covers the daytime line up in the years to come.

zoie merren

I've been watching guiding light for more than thirty years I would hate it if it went off the air. I used to pretend to be sick just to stay home and watch. One thing is really dissappointing is the not mentioning of Natalia's huge fifteen month pregnant belly. There only so much you can put in front of her. The least you all could have done was to have Frank impregnant her long before she started showing. Beside that Love Phillip coming back very nice suprise. I was heart broke when Nick died.

June 19 2009 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna Tiberii

I agree that the Otalia story line should continue, but you all are forgeting that, unfortunately Crystal Chappell is returning to Days of our Lives, she starts filming in September 2009. I wish there was a way for GL to keep her because Otalia really needs to go on.......

June 19 2009 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joni

IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL ONE OF THE SHOWS

MAKE IT AS THE WORLD TURNS-not GUIDING LIGHT
"ATWT" has gotten so boring

May 27 2009 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dianne ezell

i have been watching guiding light for many many years, when i heard about the end of the show, i felt like someone is about to die. that is the only show i have been watching forever. what i didnt like was gus dying and harley leaving town and showing up on another show. i will miss the show so very much.

April 17 2009 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JANICE

I can't beleive you would take guidinglight off the air. I'm
from the old school and I can remember cbs greatist soap
such as, the seceret storm, the edge of night, search for
tomorrow, those were good soap. I 'm sure you can come
up with something . Obama said it it's time for a change
You can fixed it. AS The World Turn is still on I'm sure you writers can come upwith something. The Young and the Restless is standing strong so much you can you even watch it on soapnet.

April 07 2009 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wanda

I WAS JUST ELATED WHEN PHILLIP SPALDING RETURNED TO THE SHOW.I HAD HOPES FOR THE SPALDINGS WHEN HE RETURNED...THAT H WOULD MAKE THE FAMILY RESPECTABLE AGAIN! PLASE DON'T AX THIS SHOW. ALSO, I WANT REVA AND JOSH BACK TOGTHER!!!!

April 06 2009 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

I can not believe this have watched this show since I was a little girl it is one of my favorite shows my mother got nme started when I was home sick from school. Through college and even when I work I tape the show and it is the first thing I watch when I get home. I sometime get mad because they keep changing the time slot all the time. Even when I go to Florida in the winter you would be suprised how many people leave the pool or the beach to go home to watch Guiding Light sometimes the actors come to Florida and people stand in line to meet the actors they LOVE. It is just starting to get new and great story lines. I have always thought Josh and Riva"s love story is one of the best on any soap opera like Casablanca a real Classic. This show is a big part of many a peoples life. Now that Grant Alexander is back there is so much to look forward to. I am a past cancer patient and also have the same condition Olivia has. Educating people of these conditions and what people go througt inspire us all and give us Hope . It would be a big mistake to take this show off of the air when it brings so much joy to thousand and thousands of peoples lives.

April 03 2009 at 1:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

My wife and I are loyal fans of GL. We are both sad to hear that the soap is being cancelled. There is no other "soap'" like GL. It is an honor to be a fan of this longest running soap opera. We feel that the actors and actresses of GL should be able to see their show reach it's 75 year anniversary at least. We have grown with the characters on this show. We hope that you will consider keeping "The Light" shining longer. Perhaps Proctor and Gamble or cable can show repeat episodes of GL from the early years up to the present. We are two fans that would be watching. A book about the characters of this show would be another great idea.( Already read Jonathan's Story and loved it.) We love all the actors and actresses dedication to their soap. Guiding Light will always be Number One for us!!
Bill & Kathy

April 02 2009 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

I am saddeed to hear that GL is going to be canceled. The fact that it is the longest running soap opera is an honor in itself; however, I feel that they should let the show see it's 75 year anniversary. I have been watching since the early 70's and admire all the actors and actresses that have and/' or had a part on this show. I hope that the old episodes can be repeated and possibly write another book. Jonathan's Story is a good book! Please keep the light shining!!

Kathy C. in MN

April 02 2009 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

GL is a great soap. I have been watching for many years and had finally got y husband interested in watching also. We will truly miss all the actors and actresses that make up this fine show. I hope that there is a way to watch the episodes over or something on cable or via internet. Thanks to all of you on GL for keeping me entertained for so many years.
Kathy C. in MN