July 22, 2014

The Celebrity Apprentice made its latest cut too soon

by Joel Keller, posted Mar 30th 2009 12:01PM
Trumps!I'll admit that The Celebrity Apprentice is a guilty pleasure of mine. Why? Two words: Nutty celebrities! Just like any other reality show, seeing people get along and be friends just doesn't cut it. There needs to be an agitator, someone who's going to make everyone roll their eyes and bitch and moan that they have to work or live with such a loose cannon/nutjob/free spirit. The fact that those people are celebrities is a plus in my book.

It amazes me that these reality shows consistently cut their most interesting players because everyone is annoyed by them. And this year's Celeb Apprentice just committed that cardinal sin.

Yes, Dennis Rodman is a big-time pain in the keester. He doesn't like taking orders from anyone who isn't Phil Jackson. And he probably does have a drinking problem; the boardroom intervention last night was interesting but not the way Rodman should have been confronted about the matter.

But by firing him, Donald Trump left us a group of celebrities -- especially on the men's side -- that are as interesting as watching primer dry (they're so boring they don't even rise to the level of paint). Clint Black, Herschel Walker, Jesse James, and Brian McKnight all like each other and work well together. Where's the fun in that? Rodman's disruptive! Depressed! Moody! That's reality gold, I tell ya!

Anyway, there's some potential disasters left on the women's side, with Khloe Kardashian skating by on her ample backside, and the Rivers axis always has the potential of being attacked, mainly because Melissa can be such an unrelenting chore (her ability to pull together Claudia's mess last week redeemed her pushiness, but that won't last for long). And at some point soon (next week, I'd guess by the promos), the teams will be rejiggered because they're so imbalanced.

But no one who's left has the entertainment potential that Rodman did. Keeping him around could have been the best business move Trump has made all year; he just didn't have the heart to do it.

jps

Clint is an arrogant, self-serving, me or the highway kind of man. He is a jerk! His true colors are shining through.

I loved it when Herschell said , "my business makes more than your record company"....Priceless------

Maybe that is why he's on Apprentice. He needs to market himself . Look at me, I'm the great country singer.

All I have to say is, "KARMA" Clint! Always comes back to bite you on the butt.

We want Herschell

April 22 2009 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
imaginethat

Clint Black has probably lost whatever fans he may have had after last night's episode. The task was to make a laundry detergent commercial, so he makes it about masterbation? What a low life! He shattered any mith fans might have had about him being a wholesome entertainer.
Before this, I thought he had some integritiy. No more.

April 06 2009 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
puddin1228

I thought tonights double elimination was unfounded. Also, the firing of Khloe Kardashian was way out of line! What someone has done in their personal lives prior to this show should carry no weight in the board room. Trump was unfair to Khloe and the subject of her DUI should never of been broguth up. Clint Balck should of been fired hands down. The only reason he wasn't fired was to ensure that each team had 2 men on it for the next task. After all, how long does someone have to keep paying for their mistakes. You were way out of line Mr. Trump....shame on you!

April 06 2009 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bellas mom

I understand where trump was coming from when he fired Khloe. However, he could have made her work on a task where she could do some good to redeem herself.

How about making a public service message on the dangers of drinking/drugs/cellphones while driving? How about her having a high end auction with celebrities to raise mega dough for her charity and to pay for expenses for those who lost a loved one due a drunk/drug/phone driving issue?

Trump could have made Khloe bust her big booty for good. But instead he sent her packing (again I can totally understand), but right now some people will pay $$ to have something to do with a reality star.

Isn't that better than doing nothing? Which Khloe is basically doing right now? Seriously he could set this chick up with a bunch of people and have her get the word out to young kids, highschoolers, adults in bars!

How about Khloe in an advertisement near bars on a billboard or bus stop sign saying something about dui's and how it effect people? At least some people may listend to her, even if it is just for 15 minutes of fame. Wouldn't it be better to use her 15 minutes of fame for good rather than tossing her to the curb?

Come on Trump, if you are truly, honestly affected by the 3 dui deaths than you make that girl work her booty off and have her do some good.

April 06 2009 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
IRISHJOJO

I thought the FIRE-ES were wrong!!!
It's not Chloes fault she was hired, and I think THE DONALD would not want Joan's ire if he fired Melissa.

April 05 2009 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matt

"DONALD TRUMP FIRED CHLOE KARDASHIAN BECAUSE SHE HAS A DUI, NOT FOR ANYTHING CONNECTED TO THEIR COMMERCIAL."

I have to say this was the final straw. I have no intentions of continuing to watch this show. Clint Black should of been fired for his power trip. Rodman should of been fired if not the first show at least by the second show. Trump keeps making emotional decisions and not sound business decisions.

Good thing daddy left him so much money because he could not of made it in the real world without it!

On the bright side this frees up a couple hours a week on my Tivo.

April 05 2009 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary frankenburger

DONALD TRUMP FIRED CHLOE KARDASHIAN BECAUSE SHE HAS A DUI, NOT FOR ANYTHING CONNECTED TO THEIR COMMERCIAL . ICAN'T BELIEVE HE DOESN'T WATCH HOW CLINT HAD COMPLETE IDIOTIC CONTROL OVER THAT COMMERCIAL. CLINT HAD TO EVEN MAKE HIMSELF THE STAR BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY WAY HE'LL GET AN ACTING JOB. MR TRUMP'S MALE CHAUVENISM REALLY SHOWED TONIGHT.
OF COURSE CHLOE YOU'RE NOT MISS AMERICA .

April 05 2009 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat

I agree with you! Sad as it is, I don't really expect the winner of Celebrity Apprentice to be the hardest working, smartest one. We want star power! Dennis Rodman's star power could make just about anything successful, regardless of his business savvy.

Not sure if I'll keep watching. Might as well rename it "Vaguely Familiar Apprentice."

My take: http://squareeyes.blinkx.com/2009/03/the-donald-fires-the-dennis-on-celebrity-apprentice/

March 30 2009 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

This may be a little off topic, but I just want to say how much I appreciate how "business appropriate" Ivanka Trump appears on this show in terms of how she dresses. She is gorgeous and could easily take the Paris Hilton cheesecake route, but clearly she's got too much self-respect to do so. I'll admit that she may have been a tad "buttoned up" on this episode with the tailored knee length skirt and ascot accessorized blouse, but at least her attire gives credibility to her professionalism.

She also tends to give quite astute commentary on the team task performances and judging from last season to this season, it's clear that although she's gracious, she does not suffer fools gladly. Seeing how Donald and Ivana have raised their children reminds me a bit of how Jacqueline Kenney Onassis raised JFK Jr. and Caroline. I have to commend them in that regard.

March 30 2009 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to deebopalula's comment
deebopalula

Obviously meant that to be Jacqueline KENNEDY Onassis. When will TV Squad add an edit function? Please!?

March 30 2009 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rassi

I think you have Khloe Kardashian confused with her sister Kim who is famous for the large "booty".... other than being part of their reality show, I honestly don't know what Khloe is "famous" for....

March 30 2009 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rassi's comment
Joel Keller

I heard Khloe say in an interview that the feature runs in the family and that she, indeed has the Kardashian behind.

March 30 2009 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply