September 30, 2014

Was anybody else disappointed in the Star Trek/Family Guy episode?

by Brad Trechak, posted Mar 30th 2009 1:16AM
Star Trek on Family GuyI made it my business to catch the episode of Family Guy which guest-voiced the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and I have to say I was somewhat disappointed.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed some parts of the episode. The "shut up Wil" line by Patrick Stewart had me in stitches, as well as the sudden death of Denise Crosby (obviously, the writers are ST:TNG fans). Hell, Patrick Stewart is a recurring guest on Seth McFarlane's other series American Dad.

It just seemed to me that after the brilliant Star Wars parody from last year, they would do something more with such a line-up of talent than simply "Stewie gets to hang out and go bowling with the cast." It was even relegated to the "B" plot, with the "A" plot being Meg's sudden faith in God as a result of watching Kirk Cameron on TV.

I was hoping for something more akin to an episode of The Next Generation done Family Guy-style. Or would that have been redundant of the Star Wars episode? What do you think? Was the episode decent or could it have used improvement?

Jeff Goebel

I find it neat that a blog post that starts off negative yields so many "I agree" negative comments, and elsewhere online all the positive "I loved it" blogs yield mostly "me too" comments. I guess that's why news anchors don't offer opinions. Blogs do, and the fans follow the leader. Neat.

I liked the episode. More laughs than usual per episode for me in both A and B stories... but I might have loiked it a bit more if I had not been hyped into expecting it to be one of the best ever.

March 31 2009 at 6:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lam

Why do people need to ceremoniously announce that they are 'done' with something. If you posted to this entry, you're not done, and I'm pretty sure you'll be back. We will see the same people reply to next weeks review... enjoy your melodrama, it's just a cartoon.

March 31 2009 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

I was disappointed. I love TNG and with the whole cast there I was hoping for so much more. Each actor got about two lines... Seth if you're out there, next time have the entire episode take place aboard the Enterprise!

March 30 2009 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William

I thought it was funny and I actually laughed out loud at a few moments; I do wish the TNG stuff had been the main story though.

March 30 2009 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

The ep was okay. Not the best FG, but not the worst. I wish the whole ep had been about Stewie and the ST:NG crew (cause Seth ain't changing anybody's mind about their faith.)

But it had some laughs and the ending was funny when Stewie finally transports them back their ship in frustration.

March 30 2009 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
screaminghello

I disagree w/ people who thought thw show was preachy. Just b/c it was bashing organized religion does not mean it was promoting atheism.

Glad that Worf can still get a paycheck every now and then.

March 30 2009 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

Because Meg plots come along oh so very often... I find them funny.

The ST:NG Being the B plot I think was perfect. I loved Stewie's meltdowns at the convention. Anyone who has been to one has felt frustration. LOL

As for the god/athiest storyline... I didn't find it offensive. I didn't find it preachy.

March 30 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tingrin87

i loved the ST:TNG plot, if only because the TNG actors are like the kids where i work.

March 30 2009 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Megan

Family Guy is a horrible show. I should of known it would be disappointing.

March 30 2009 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beast

My subconscious listened to Peter. I feel asleep and woke up at the last few minutes. I get the feeling I saw the best parts.

March 30 2009 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply