September 23, 2014

What's missing from this list of the best series finales?

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 30th 2009 12:25PM
Buffy
Everyone loves lists, and everyone has an opinion, so it's not always nice or productive to point out that another person's list might be lacking in some way. Having said that, let's talk about how this list is lacking in some way.

It's a list of the 10 best series finales of all-time. I'll get right to the point: Newhart should be on this list.

I mean, come on, how can Bob waking up in bed next to Suzanne Pleshette, one of the great, most unpredictable, most satisfying endings in TV history, not make it somewhere on this list? And it's not like the author chose only recent shows, because the M*A*S*H series finale from 1983 is one there. Though it is really heavy on recent shows. The finales of Battlestar Galactica, The Sopranos, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Oz all made the top 10.

The number one series finale of all-time? Six Feet Under. The fans of those shows can argue the merit of the list, but I have to take exception to his reasoning for including M*A*S*H. Not that it was a bad finale, but to say the reason that the last episode remains the highest-rated television program in history is because "it's one of the most satisfying, gut-wrenching finales ever" doesn't make any sense. It's highly rated because it was the last episode of M*A*S*H. It could have been terrible and still gotten the same ratings. After all, it's not like viewers knew it was going to be great beforehand and that's why they tuned in.

So, besides Newhart, what else should be on this list (shows that actually had a chance to do a proper series finale and didn't just "end"). Maybe The Fugitive?

MarcDom7

The Wire
Homicide
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Seinfeld (just kidding)

March 31 2009 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Howard

These lists usually suck. This one is just ok, but I'm glad to see they nailed #1. It was perfect.

March 31 2009 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessica

I agree completely that Newhart was the best. Commentors have said they don't remember the episode save for the end, but the ending was so clever and original, you forget the rest in comparison!
Many of the others are on this list are not even in the same category.

March 31 2009 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjh

Hopefully in a few days we can ER to the list... hopefully, but not likely.

March 31 2009 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alessandro

I think that chosing The finale, Everyone's Waiting, was a perfect choice for number 1. Though I have to say that there are two amazing finales missing from this list: Friends and the Shield. I get the Buffy thing (even though I keep not understanding the show), but Angel?!?! C'mon... the 2nd place for Angel?!?! And Friends is not in the top 10?!?! C'mon...

Alessandro

March 31 2009 at 4:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I definitely agree with Cander's mention of Blackadder - that episode breaks my heart every time I see it.

How about some love for The Prisoner? 40+ years later, and everyone's still trying to figure out what exactly happened there.

And I agree with Bob - what about The Fugitive?

March 31 2009 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tania

I think the "Charmed" series finale really gave closure to the audience. Those who stuck with it for all those years anyhow. Or even ABC Family's "Wildfire."

As for the ER finale this week I really really hope it gets the ending it deserves. However I believe they should have aired this seasons episode 14 as the finale. Well the concept anyhow. With the doctor from the early years of county. It was a beautifully written and executed episode.

March 30 2009 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ChristopherP

In my opinion, the greatest series finale ever (at least that I've seen) not only was not on the list, but it was also not mentioned in the comments: The Wonder Years!! Not only is this easily one of the best shows of the late 80s/early 90s, but this finale was perfect and had it all. It made me laugh and cry. It produced closure but also made you re-live the entire run of the show. And I didn't mind learning the fate of all the characters. How could this not be mentioned but have modern and not nearly as great shows such as Angel and Buffy on there?!!?

March 30 2009 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

The last episode of the British aka original Life on Mars was amazing. Perhaps the best episode of TV ever produced.

March 30 2009 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JoNike

Twin Peaks finale was quite something back in the time.

March 30 2009 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply