November 27, 2014

24: 11:00PM - 12:00AM

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Mar 31st 2009 8:03AM

Carlos Bernard
(S07E16) "But I don't know anything... Mr. Hodges." - Tony

Nooooo! Jack Bauer cannot die! After last week's shocking conclusion, two questions have been on everyone's mind - just what exactly was Jack exposed to and more importantly, is he actually infected? Now that we have our answer, something tells me 24 might never be the same again.

So Jack did get infected and this toxin isn't some minor thing either - it's a variation of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and instead of killing slowly over a string of many months, this one does its job in two days. Think "mad cow" for humans. Turns your brain to mush. If you want to know more about CJD, I highly suggest reading "Deadly Feasts" by Richard Rhodes. Great book, but it'll scare the sh*t out of you because it's true.

So Jack has this variant of the disease and Sunny is quick to point out that there's no cure but at least Jack isn't contagious. Which is good... Jack Bauer stuck in an isolation tank for the final eight hours of this season wouldn't have been much fun. (Oh and speaking of Sunny, did anyone else find it weird that there wasn't at least one season three reference between her and Jack? Even a brief mention of something along the lines of "this CJD is ten times as worse than what the Salazar brothers were trying to buy" would have been fine. I just don't get the point of bringing back a minor character like that if there's no mention of the past.)

Anyway, there is supposedly no cure and that certainly ratchets up the tension for the remainder of the season. My gut says that there is a cure (I can't see Hodges getting near this stuff if there wasn't) and Jack will certainly get a dose of it at some point, but not before it does a little damage to his brain. We saw him with his shirt off this hour and his chest clearly has no more room for scars, so I guess his brain will have to pick up the slack.

As for the Starkwood mess, at first I thought Greg and Hodges (couldn't they pick names that aren't the same as CSI?) were trying to fool Tony. I thought that maybe they were playing him based on that brief "know your enemy" exchange. But it turns out that Greg was just really trying to save himself, despite the fact that he still had some loyalty to Jonas. So he duped Tony and Larry, got immunity for himself, and managed to lead the strike team to a different building. From his perspective, it's win/win. I'm guessing he gets killed next week - no way Jonas lets this one slide.

A few more thoughts...

• How stupid is the President?!? Does she really not understand that her daughter is quite possibly the worst candidate for chief-of-staff?
  • Speaking of Olivia, bringing on Aaron as her personal CIA escort will be her own downfall. He might be trustworthy but he'll defend his country over Olivia in a heartbeat. I can't wait for the moment when he sees her doing something she shouldn't be.

Alright, so I've got to know what everyone else thinks about Jack. He obviously isn't going to die (he's already signed to do Day 8), but will the CJD have any adverse affects on him? Or is this just a gimmick to add tension? Any chance Jack turns into a zombie?

Paulie

I think having Jack die a slow death from a disease like CJD would be fitting and to introduce some phony deus ex machina to save him would be a cheat. The irony of him dying of something totally out of his control would be perfect. Instead of going out a guns-blazing hero he goes out as a helpless invalid---surely this would be the thing Jack fears most, to die as an obscure casualty of a contageous disease, it's one thing he can't fight or beg or negotiate his way out of. While he's quarantined he can spend his last hours doing some soul searching. By now people should know that sacrifice isn't always rewarded and real-life heroes often don't get a happy ending so to highlight that Jack should go out with a whimper instead of a bang.

April 06 2009 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe

I wish the show's writers would listen to you guys about show idea, hell, better yet, some of you, I wish were the writers instead. some great ideas and story's lines from all of you. hope they listen and use some of your story lines, enjoy reading them, thank you.

April 04 2009 at 10:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

"But it turns out that Greg was just really trying to save himself, despite the fact that he still had some loyalty to Jonas. So he duped Tony and Larry, got immunity for himself, and managed to lead the strike team to a different building. From his perspective, it's win/win. I'm guessing he gets killed next week - no way Jonas lets this one slide."

I think it is pretty obvious that Greg and Jonas were working together to buy time to get the bio weapon ready to deploy. Greg didn't even shoot the guy about to kill Tony, since we saw him exiting the Hummer and leading his team to a standoff with the FBI.

April 02 2009 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Pierce is Secret Service, not CIA.

April 01 2009 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

I have been an inveterate watcher of 24 from the beginning. I love the tension and I love people getting knocked off especially the ones you don't want gone. Jack will be hale and hearty by the end of this season. But truth be told have the writers not come up with more lame deus ex machina solutions to problems than this season? They'll come up with one for Bauer also for this "disease." Eventually he'll get his but he's got a contract through Day 8 and his demise will be either with a bang or a whimper. Can you imagine a Day 8 with Jack flashbacks or as a ghost who will help out Renee?? Jack's end may even be laughable as so many of the complications & denouements on this show have turned out to be. This show is like eating candy. Good thing it's only once a week.

April 01 2009 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathanael

I could see this going a couple of ways:

- Jack finds a cure at the last minute of season 7 and is okay. They made a big point of spelling out in this ep that "there is no cure", however, and according to wikipedia, that's true.
- Season 8 occurs directly adjacent to season 7. That would be kinda cool, if it was written well. And the idea of Jack trying to save himself instead of the world sounds interesting. (That's what I originally thought the whole season 6 Jack-in-China subplot was going to be, but instead they brought him back to the States in episode 1. bummer...)
- The news about season 8 going into production is just a giant red herring so that everyone will be surprised when Jack dies. Long shot, but this *is* 24!

March 31 2009 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RT

If they ever take out Jack it will be doing something heroic, not as a victim of a disease.

He'll go out like Butch and Sundance.

March 31 2009 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
antonio69

Are you insane¡ Bauer don´t need vaccine he is the vaccine¡

March 31 2009 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jierardi

i dont think anything is going to happen to Jack. I just think that he is going to be 0kay, maybe is system is immune to it and wont get any effects from it at a time that would pass it over and he would be cured. Also, remember too, there is an season so how can that be without out Jack. He has to go out with a happy ending, thats my theory because he has done so much for his country and has put is life on line so many times to save so many people.

March 31 2009 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
griff

send bourne in ... my scientific methods of dramatic re-enactment prove he is superior ...

March 31 2009 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply