December 20, 2014

Saying goodbye to Angel's Lorne, Andy Hallett - VIDEO

by Mike Moody, posted Mar 31st 2009 11:33AM
Andy Hallett Lorne AngelFans of Joss Whedon's Angel were hit with some sad news this week. Andy Hallett, who played Lorne on the WB show, died of heart failure Sunday night. Hallet passed away at L.A.'s Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles after a five-year battle with heart disease.

Hallet played Angel's friendly horned and green skinned demon from 2000-2004. I always wanted to see Hallett show up in primetime without the horns or green makeup. He was a fine actor with a great singing voice, which he put to use several times during his four year run on Angel.

Lorne was a great character who was always good for a laugh, but Joss Whedon and crew didn't let Hallett's chops as a dramatic actor go to waste. Hallett brought a charm and vulnerability to the role that made you forget about the horns and makeup during several poignant scenes. The character evolved on the show from being the eccentric owner of a karaoke bar for demons to finally becoming one of Angel's trusted team of supernatural investigators.

His final scene in Angel's series finale is heartbreaking, but it also reminded audiences of Hallet's remarkable gift to turn what could've been a one-note role into a beloved three-dimensional character.

I thought it would be appropriate to post the following clip, Hallett's debut as Lorne in the first episode of Angel's second season.

Michael S Terrell

we have all the Angel series...so Andy "Lorne" Hallet will live on in our hearts and on our TV...God Rest his Soul

April 02 2009 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

I had the pleasure of going on a slayercruise and having Andy there the whole week to entertain us, He was truly a gentlemen and appreciated his fans. At a signing table once he was at the end and James Marsters was at the beginning and James noticed the line was going really slow and yelled down to Andy to "hurry it up!" cause you see Andy greeted everyone of his fans with a smile, an appreciation, he didnt just sign the photo and not look up he engaged everyone and thanked them for their support. I will remember his smile always, and his lovely spirit. We will miss you Andy!

April 02 2009 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy J

Rest in peace Andy...you brought a whole new level to a wonderful show.

April 01 2009 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RT

I had often wondered why I'd never seen that talented guy since Angel. He certainly brought a lot of life to that character.

Sad that he never got to realize his full potential.

March 31 2009 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

I also wanted to add I have never seen a picture of him without his green makeup & other than his great talent he was also a very good looking man. Rest in peace- such a sad loss !

March 31 2009 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

This is so sad, he was so young & had his whole life ahead of him. I also watch him every morning & love the shows he has been in. He will be missed by many people, he made you laugh & smile which is very hard to come by these days, I hope his family will read this & know he had many fans who loved him & are in mourning also. I am praying for his family that God will give them peace in the days ahead. We all should treasure today as the Bible says that no one is promised a tomorrow !

March 31 2009 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Aw, that is so sad. I'm watching Angel right now, and I love his character.

March 31 2009 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brian

I actually got a chance to know Andy when I was young. My mom was really good friends with his mom and I would go over there and hang out a lot. Although I was young I remember how nice and caring he was. he always had a smile on his face and even thought i was about 10 years younger than him he would always just hang out with me like I was one of his friends. I have not seen Andy for over 15 years but I will never forget him. he was a great man and talented actor. May his soul rest in peace and I wish the best for his entire family. God bless

March 31 2009 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tobias

I just started watching the show, so I haven't seen this character yet, but after watching the clip I'm already impressed. It's so sad to loose such a talented person.

March 31 2009 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply