American Idol: Top 9 Perform

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 1st 2009 12:15AM
American Idol - Top 9 PerformI kind of like the beginning of American Idol these days. The judges enter on the stage, so we get to see whatever awesome dress Paula is wearing. Not sure about last week's tutu, but I like her tulip-inspired red dress tonight.

Then Ryan descends from a big long stairway on the stage, like he's some old-time movie star or something. It's a little weird and cheesy, but also kind of fun. The theme this week is wide open, with the contestants choosing any song that's a popular download on iTunes. Let's get to it.

Anoop Desai started things off with Usher's "Caught Up." He cranked the pop factor up a few notches and showed that he's got the chops to switch it up a bit. Randy's a little torn and doesn't like the song choice. Kara thinks it's like a bunch of "frat guys dared you to get up and do Usher." Paula loves his more playful side, but says Anoop's stage presence needs a little work. Simon thinks it's "a complete and utter mess," saying, "It actually gave me a headache."

American Idol' Season 8 Results

Feb. 26, 2009: Adam Lambert Makes the Top 12
    "I like this guy more than [David] Cook, he is just more energetic and he owned the night."

-- Lindahbird

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Nick Mitchell Is Eliminated (For Now)
    "We all know that Norman will not win 'Idol,' but I'm glad that he was in the Top 36, and he does have a good voice! He was very entertaining and funny, and I'm glad that he was chosen for Top 36! He will probably get some gigs in Hollyweird! I actually voted for him, ha ha!"

-- PinkSunset77

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Allison Iraheta Makes the Top 12
    "She is just awesome ... there is so much talent in that 16-year-old ... just amazing!! She really is my favorite so far. But it has been a tough couple of weeks as far as song choice!!!"

-- DEBBIE8863

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Kris Allen Makes the Top 12
    "He's cute and I liked him but I thought that Matt had more potential."

-- BESTBUNNY10

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Nick Mitchell Is Eliminated (For Now)
    "I honestly don't think Norman is the least bit funny. I think he is making a huge joke out of 'American Idol.' There are 35 other contestants that are being serious and really trying and then there is Norman."

-- Bpadra

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Megan Corkrey Is Eliminated (For Now)
    "I knew I liked this wild card thing. Megan will be back."

-- PETCRAB

Fox

Feb. 26, 2009: Adam Lambert Makes the Top 12
    "I didn't care for him at all. I thought he was way over the top and way too theatrical for that song. I'm sure he'll get through. I'll be interested to see what he does when they have themes. Maybe he'll grow on me, but right now I would put him second or third behind some of the other ones I've heard."

-- JandeCBS

Fox

Feb. 18, 2009: Danny Gokey Makes the Top 12
    "When [Danny] and Tatiana were called up, he had the cockiest look on his face.
    Like he's a really good singer, but whenever I see him, I just think about how cocky he looks."

-- RoshanMcG

Fox

Feb. 18, 2009: Alexis Grace Makes the Top 12
    "Alexis is the whole package! So cute ... with such a big voice."

-- clammy1954

Fox

Feb. 18, 2009: Michael Sarver Makes the Top 12
    "I don't really get the appeal. I mean, he's a likeable guy, but as a performer, he just doesn't seem that good to me. I definitely thought Ricky and Anoop sounded better."

-- TGirl1045

Fox

Megan Joy Corkrey sang Bob Marley/Lauren Hill's "Turn Your Lights Down Low." She's a beautiful girl, but she's got this distracting array of necklaces atop a blue bustier-type top. It's kind of hard to concentrate on her voice, but I'm still a fan of her voice, which reminds me of Duffy's voice, only without the control. Kara thinks she's in trouble, and the audience gets a little tense and starts heckling Kara. Paula says she needs to dig deeper and do a song with just her on a stool with a spotlight and no distracting movements. Simon says the song was boring, indulgent and monotonous. The crowd again heckles. Randy says it was like watching paint dry. Ok, I don't think it was that bad! I kind of liked the song AND her voice, so maybe they're hearing something different in the studio than I'm hearing out here. But Megan isn't too put off by the judges' harsh comments, and tells her fans to vote for her.

Danny Gokey sang "What Hurts the Most" by Rascal Flatts. The toned-down song featured a beautiful solo by a violinist on the side of the stage. Really nice, and the audience loves it, too. Paula says this is the type of song where Danny shines, and Simon calls it his best performance. "Get a great song, sing it brilliantly, and do your version," advises Simon to all the contestants. Randy loves it, but says it's ok for Danny to keep his "swagger moving" and rock the mic stand. Simon tells Danny to ignore Randy's comments. Kara says Danny moved everyone in the room emotionally.

Allison Iraheta sang "Don't Speak" by No Doubt, accompanying herself on the guitar. She's sporting a wild shag hairdo and mini-dress over leggings and white heels. With the shadowy lighting, she rocks it out. I haven't heard Allison give a bad performance, and she brings it again tonight. Randy thinks she was rushing the band a little, and says, "Dude, what are you wearing?!" Kara says it doesn't matter what she's wearing, she can sing. Paula says her vocal prowess rivals singers twice her age, and she's "skating by and going right to the finish line." Simon says her outfit is something out of the Adams Family, like she's playing dress-up.

Scott Macintyre
sang Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are," accompanying himself on the piano with no back-up from the band. Scott has such a beautiful voice, and I love this performance. Kara says he made some smart decisions tonight by picking that song, stripping it down, and just singing to the audience. She also loves his new look (he got a haircut!). Out of all the contestants, Paula says she's most proud of Scott, because when he sings, she forgets about his physical challenges. Simon says it's his best performance so far. Randy agrees. I want to play the song back and hear it again. I'll do that after I finish this review.

Matt Giraud
sang The Fray's "You Found Me," hoping not to end up in the bottom three like last week. He accompanies himself on a keyboard placed in the middle of the audience, which is really cool. The girls surrounding him clearly love it. He's got the perfect "Fray" voice, and hits a couple high notes that I didn't know existed. The judges think the exact opposite of me (are we watching the same program?). Paula appreciates the contemporary song, but calls it a sound-alike to The Fray. The crowd heckles again. Simon calls it uptight and uncomfortable, and says Matt should be happy because the judges don't like him this week (meaning, the voters will). Randy says it's the wrong song. Kara says he's a talented guy who doesn't deserve to go home.

Lil Rounds sang Celine Dion's "I Surrender." I'm not crazy about her dress. She looks like she's going to a toga party. But I've always loved Lil's voice, and it's big enough to tackle Celine Dion. Randy didn't like the song choice initially, but says she sang it well. He wants her to "young it up a little bit." Kara loves it, but Paula wants to see a younger Lil. Simon says it was like a wedding song. Ryan talks to Lil's kids in the audience, and Lil weeps onstage as Randy hugs one of her kids!

Adam Lambert
sang "Play That Funky Music." After his stripped-down performance last week (which I was crazy about), he funks it up this week. He has such a strong stage presence, it really doesn't matter what he sings - it's always magnificent. The crowd goes wild, and Paula dances it out. She pants and compares him to Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler. Simon says it was brave. Randy thought the song might be corny, but he worked it out and is "in the star zone." Adam praises Ricky Miner and the Band. Kara says she can't wait to see what Adam does every week.

Kris Allen
sang "Ain't No Sunshine," accompanying himself on the piano with string players surrounding him. I love all the different setups tonight. This is one of my favorite songs, and Kris does a great job with it. I wasn't that crazy about him at the beginning of the competition, but he's now one of my favorite singers. Randy says it was one of the best performances, and Kara says "that was artistry!" Paula says he took a 30-year old song and made it new again. Simon loves the arrangement, and says Kris' confidence is getting better and better.

My favorites tonight: Danny Gokey, Scott Macintyre, Adam Lambert, and Kris Allen. If I had to pick one to go home, it would be Anoop. What about you?

Which American Idol contestant should go home this week?
Anoop Desai347 (16.8%)
Megan Joy Corkrey1273 (61.6%)
Danny Gokey27 (1.3%)
Allison Iraheta26 (1.3%)
Scott Macintyre171 (8.3%)
Matt Giraud73 (3.5%)
Lil Rounds75 (3.6%)
Adam Lambert48 (2.3%)
Kris Allen25 (1.2%)

sandy

Adam is the best singer to come along. he is so spot on when he sings. He reminds me of lead singer freddie of "Queen".It will be adam,danny and allison in the final!Love them all!

April 07 2009 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doda

what sets adam apart from the others is that he has stage presence.mick jagger ,steven tyler ,bono, greenday all have this quality.he is a rocker who can adapt well to
all forms of music. each week he consistantly brings professionalism to the competition yet is still true to himself.win it or not , he has a great future in this business.

April 02 2009 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Just a note that after a slew of emails, I corrected the Billy Joel song to "Just the Way You Are." (And yes, I actually bought the album new when it was released back in the dark ages.)

You guys have to keep in mind that we watch these shows, take notes, write up the reviews, find photos, AND publish them all in the span of an hour or two.

So we don't have a team of fact-checkers on hand during that time, but we try to catch everything we can. That's what we have you guys for, right? :-)

April 01 2009 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brin

Adam is actually too good for this show. I think that's why he stands out too much. He will be a star no matter where he places. As for Meghan, she makes me wish I didn't have ears. I actually had to cover them by the end of her "performance".

April 01 2009 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rae

I thought Matt Giraud's song was bad. I even turned the channel because it was uncomfortably bad. I loved Danny the most and Lil gave me chills - I thought she did much better than what she got credit for.

April 01 2009 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

Anoops vocals were good, but I didnt like the song or his flailing about on stage. Megan had me thinking she was going to give a good performance at first, but then it just got more boring as it went along. As much as I dislike her performances, not her, mind you, I thought the judges were a little hard on her. But I dont know that song, so maybe it went over my head. Danny really knows how to deliver a song, but this was my least favorite performance from him. I didnt like the song and I didnt understand all the praise from the judges. Must be force of habit on their part. Allison gave another good performance and I also thought the first part of her song was better than No Doubts. She did get a little shouty toward the end, but it wasnt that bad. The judges were more concerned with her outfit for some reason. Finally, Scott gave a good performance. I have been critical of him in the past and think he should be gone already, but he picked a good song within his very limited vocal range, and did a good job with it. One of the best of the night.
Matt is a very talented guy who keeps picking bad songs. I hated that song and wanted to fast forward through his performance. Should be in the bottom three again. Lil once again gives a disappointing performance. I love her big voice, her personality and her good looks, but she hasnt delivered like a I thought, and hoped she would. Lil seems like such a sweet, genuine person, but like Matt, she keeps picking bad songs that dont showcase her strengths and talents. Last week Adam had one of the best performances I have ever seen on AI, so it would have been very hard to top or equal that effort. He didnt, but that isnt a knock against him. He was still very good and kept his spot at the head of the pack. Kris had, hands down, the best performance of the night. I have always loved that song, and he did a terrific job with it. He has been coming on strong the last few weeks and, to me, he has earned a spot among the top three, along with Adam and Allison. I am wavering on Danny.
Bottom three are Megan, Matt and Anoop. Megan seems to possess some unexplained immunity, so I think Anoop goes home. Matt slides by on the strength of his potential, which he better start living up to. I wish Megan would leave, but dont see it happening.
Lastly, I noticed that all you Adam haters are back after being subdued after last weeks "blow it out the box" performance. I understand his act isnt to everyones taste, but I like him a lot and think he brings a lot of excitement and anticipation to the show.

April 01 2009 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Kris, yet again, is garnering the least amount of "go home" votes from TV Squad readers. Everyone is so transfixed on Danny and Adam, but Kris is the definite dark horse.

Go Kris!

April 01 2009 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mlhughes68

Adam sounds like a girl most of the time...ick.

April 01 2009 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Let's face it. outside of a miracle happening tonight, Megan is going home. I don't want her too, but she was just bad last night.
I'd really like to see Lil go because she is so boring. Or Adam go because I'm not a fan of his musical theater.

April 01 2009 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jdog

"I don't think it was that bad! I kind of liked the song AND her voice, so maybe they're hearing something different in the studio than I'm hearing out here." WHAT!?!?! WHERE are YOU listening from, TV SQUAD!!!??? Come on!!Megan was AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL!!! She has a range of about 3 notes & she sings them monotone. And, yes, she is beautiful & quirky, but she has NO TALENT and absolutely no control over her voice.....her intonation and tone is all over the place....she doesn't know how to sing a solid note. I have directed talent competitions for years and there are thousands of 10 year olds who have better voices, better control of their instrument, and better rhythm than she has!! The judges should be ashamed of ever sending her past Hollywood week. I think they are feeling a little embarrassed right now!!! Not only that, she is starting to act really weird and arrogant. Flashing her "numbers" and dancing around behind Ryan was obnoxious and childish, and her stock answer that "her fans" still support her is funny since her only votes must come from 5 year olds and from VOTE FOR THE WORST....who is really pushing her right now. They at least have enough sense to call it like it is..."The Worst"!!!

April 01 2009 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to jdog's comment
MK

Couldn't said it better myself! Bravo, jdog!

April 01 2009 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

You clearly have no musical training, and you have no idea what you're talking about, musically. Megan is a really strong, very distinct talent. Being a superstar isn't always about just having the best voice. God knows, Madonna is no vocal powerhouse, yet she's had one of the most successful recording careers of a female artist.

April 01 2009 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply