November 29, 2014

It's official: Guiding Light is canceled

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 1st 2009 3:27PM
guiding light cast at 70
The die was cast today. CBS canceled Guiding Light, the longest running TV program still on the air. The soap opera will cease broadcasting on Friday, September 18, 2009.

As I wrote the other day, the prospects looked grim for Guiding Light, and apparently my idea of letting the show continue until it reached its 75th anniversary (three years from now) was only popular with fans. I heard from many the past couple of days. They, like me, are sorry to see Guiding Light come to an end.

This means the CBS daytime soap presence is down to two and one-half hours, three shows – The Young & the Restless, The Bold & the Beautiful and As the World Turns. ABC still has three one-hour daytime dramas – All My Children, One Life to Live and General Hospital. NBC has only Days of Our Lives remaining. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the soaps are becoming dinosaurs among the daytime landscape. Ten years from now they may all be gone.

Sad to say, but the heyday of the genre is definitely long past. The soaps have never really recovered from the loss of audience suffered during the O.J. Simpson trial, not to mention the plethora of viewing options in daytime that simply didn't exist before expanded cable programming.

To Guiding Light loyal viewers -- and I know you're out there -- my advice is this: enjoy the last five months. I expect Executive Producer Ellen Wheeler to make the most of the time they have left. That should mean more good stuff with Grant Aleksander, as well as this exciting Olivia/Natalia romance. Kim Zimmer will be around for the wrap, not to mention some other faves like Robert Newman and the always brilliant Justin Deas.

Joe Graefe

I can't believe that some network TV station has not picked up Guiding Light. CBS is plain stupid for cancelling this awesome soap!! GL has by far the most talented cast on daytime. I can't envision daytime without Kim Zimmer, Grant Alexesander, or Justin Deas. I have watched this soap for over 30 years and identify with it so much. How about NBC picking it up. They have only one soap on their network currently. I hope some network will keep the "Light" shining after September 18. GUIDING LIGHT ROCKS!!!

June 30 2009 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura Arnett

i am going to miss guiding light i remenber watching the show years ago it would be on when i would get home from school my mom would be watching it that was manyyears ill miss all of you i though of all of you as family

June 26 2009 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JustSad

This is just sad. CBS does not have alot of good shows on now as it is. I remember coming home from school and listening to this on the radio, then watching Bert, Bill and Pappa Bower for 15 minutes a day in black and white.

Have not watched Y&R, Bold and (yeah right), nor ATWT in many years, but I did however grow up with the Bowers, Spauldings, and Coopers.

Shame on you CBS, you lost me as a viewer.

June 19 2009 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

I Just heard about this horrible news the other day. I'm so sad. I've been watching this show since I was three. I am now 32 years old. I have never misssed a show in all these years. I love Guiding Light and the whole cast. September 18th will be a very sad day. I wish this wasn't true.

June 07 2009 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I agree this is totally wrong. I agree with Steve, take Old and the ugly off. Not my Guiding Light. I also tivo Guiding Light and As the World Turns everyday. I look forward to seeing them in the evening. I cried when Hart & Tammy died. I couldn't wait to buy the book about Jonathon. I feel like I have grown up with Phillip, Beth, Mindy, and Rick. I am also having my 20 yr high school reunionl this year. Kim Zimmer is one of my all time favorite actresses. Please CBS rethink what you are doing to us the fans. We are what keeps you in business.

Just remember Guiding Light Family I love you and will miss you if this really comes to an end.

May 04 2009 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lisa

i remember coming home from kindergarten in the 70's and i've watched ever since. it's a shame that such an icon of a show is going away. the show that should go is bold and the beautiful, that one is boring. It should br called the brooke and ridge drama show.

April 30 2009 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie

To be honest! When I heard the BAD NEWS about Guiding Light being cancelled this next september...''I CRIED'' This TV show is my favorite show ever! I been watching Guiding Light since the age of 6 or 7 with my mother, And I've never stoped watching it! I'm now 23 and cant beleive that my favorite show will no longer be my little private time to myself!! I've lurned alot from that show since my chilhood time till now! I feel horrible to know that its ending this year! I just wish that this bad news becomes GOOD NEWS for all of us THE FANS of Guiding Light! Why not take The Bold and the Beautiful out of there! I hate that show, its NOT REAL...GUIDING LIGHT IS THE MOST REAL TV SHOW EVER! WHY CUT IT NOW?????? I'll miss all of you guys!! Reva,Josh,Billy,Rick, Shane,Dinah,Olivia,Nathalia,Bill,Lizzy,Frank,Marina,Mallet, Beth,Phillip,Daisy,Remy,Melanie,Jeffrey...I could go on and on but everyone knows them! =) Please CBS..DONT TAKE GUIDING LIGHT AWAY FROM US!!!!!! =(

April 26 2009 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
June Ezekiel

I am very disappointed about your decision. I listened to Guiding Light when it was on the radio then when it came on TV, on my lunch period, I would come and look at it wth my grandmother.

Guiding Light is the only soap that I look at on a daily basis. I was very disappointed when you changed the time now your axing the show.

Who is responsible for this decision? I thought us fans had more of an input into your decision. Should you choose to continue the show on another network, please let us know.

April 18 2009 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darlene

GL coming to an end, saddens me greatly, I have watched this program since I was a little girl, with my mom. Then, after I was married and having children, kept my interest while feeding baby, now while caring for grandchildren.
It is my hope another network will pickup GL.
I dread the thought of another talk show, to bore us to death. Why don't producers listen to the fans??
Send my love to all of the actors/actresses in GL.
God Bless each of you hope to see each of you on a continuation of GL on another network???

April 18 2009 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dale

I am very upset "Guiding Light" will go out in September! Why not turn the show into a night soap... like "Knots Landing" and "Dallas"... I miss those shows as well. Try something different, but don't kill it! For one thing, get rid of those ridiculous hand-held cameras! Not all of us like the way reality tv looks! Put money into the show... not away from it. It's worth it. Just 3 years ago the show won Emmy awards for best actress, supporting actress, and supporting actor. It is well known that "Guiding Light" has the best actors in daytime television! Give them something to do! I have watched this show for 32 years! Ending the show is like my favorite neighbors moving away! What would Bert Bauer have to say about all this?

April 11 2009 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply