September 2, 2014

Reaper: I Want My Baby Back

by Debra McDuffee, posted Apr 1st 2009 12:25AM
Andrew Airlie as Sam's zombie dad in Reaper

(S01E05) "Lookin' sharp, Buffy, lookin' sharp." - Devil to Sam while he was holding a wooden stake

Season two of Reaper continues to entertain: it's funny, smart and unexpected, while still delivering all the things we loved about Reaper in season one. From using Sam's zombie dad to scare the poop out of Ben in the car, to the tongue-in-cheek shout-out to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this episode delivered.

One thing this episode did suffer from, though, is something I feared. Because they've introduced so many characters, we only saw a brief bit of them this week (and we didn't see Nina at all), and I was left wanting more of some. I guess we got a good fill of the dad, and it was so great to have demon Tony back. But I missed Nina, and I craved more Morgan. I'm wondering, too, if Kristen will end up being more than a bizarre sex symbol for Sock.

Oh, and Andi fighting with Sam, again. I was really hoping that between her new role at The Work Bench and her quest with Sam to find Alan (where did that storyline go?) that we'd see a new and accepting Andi. Sure, Sam did keep a little tidbit from her -- OK, a big tidbit -- but why can't she ever discuss anything with Sam? Or perhaps trust him once in a while ...

But will Reaper deliver us a coherent back story? It seems to me that they are still floundering when it comes to this. I guess we sort of knew that Sam's dad was sick and he sold Sam's soul so he'd live, but I guess we didn't really know he could never die. I'm trying to decide if that's going to give us enough mileage with that back story. I for one would like there to be something deeper behind it all. I'm fearing that the pages from the contract we saw Sam's dad burn in season one simply said that Sam is the Devil's son. I suppose they could still go there, and we could delve into how that whole thing came about.

I'm waiting -- and I'll wait patiently because I love every second of Reaper -- for the back story to come together; for the escaped soul to converge with the burned pages; for the demon assassins to conspire with Morgan; for something to have all the back story seeds they have planted to finally bloom and create a complex garden of Reaper goodness.

Other things worth mentioning:
  • Sam's dad was so pathetic, you've got to feel bad for him. From the badminton to moving into the storage unit, it's gotta suck being undead.
  • Did the scene with the three guys singing to the baby throw you back to Three Men and a Baby?
  • Chemical castration ...
  • When Tony wanted to name the baby Stevie, Sock replied, "Um, I already named her Magnum P.I."
  • Kristen doing karaoke: the mere fact that Sock found that sexy is what makes it so funny.

csttar63

Andi has a beautiful pair of legs. she should show them more often. she must really work out.

April 06 2009 at 7:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clgbutterfly

I'm impressed with Ben in this series. He's the innocent logic. He's sweet and always comes up with the pure answer. His idea about christening the baby was brilliant and apparently the right direction since the devil didn't want it happening.
Yeah I don't buy the the Devil is Sam's father, but there are layers of lies and deceit and they do a really good job of making it difficult to know when the Devil is telling the truth. He is the Master of Deceit. the Lord of Lies and the actor plays that perfectly.
I was also peeved at Andi's attitude. I thought she had grown and I would like it if those two would communicate. It's very annoying how much they avoid communicating. Often her and Sam's arguements end up sounding pithy even if it is a serious issue. Plus the storyline angle their working for Andi and Morgan to get together.... badly written and will make it harm to redeem Andi if she does go down that path.

Though I am a fan of Sock I think his storyline is terrible. It isn't really that funny and more pathetic. He did better with his old girlfriend who's apparently no longer on the show. The current storyline doesn't make him look cute or charming at all.
Morgan is an interesting new character and I'm curious at his purpose besides ruining Sam and Andi's relationship. The actor is hot, arrogant, and shallow. His evil will come from a malicious selfishness.
Overall I find each episode enjoyable, but the arcing storyline is weak and full of holes with clues that are so sporadic its hard to follow even if you've watched every episode, which I have done.

April 02 2009 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Lucky me. I saw the second half of the show twice in one hour. I was so frakking confused the first time I watched the second hour, because I felt like I lost a week. Surprise! The same scene shows up halfway through and plays on. Guess I have to watch online. My stupid CW station has lost its mind, is picking up the east coast feed (I'm in Denver) and has do damned idea what they are doing. Idiots.

April 01 2009 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Morgan (played by Armie Hammer) - He is the son of The Devil and presumably Sam's paternal half brother. He first appears in "The Favorite", where Sam unwittingly bails him out of jail with his lottery winnings.

April 01 2009 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Biggus Rickus

Based on zombie dad's reaction I get the impression that the Devil is lying to Sam about being his father. Who his actual father is I have no idea. An angel? God? Something else entirely? The God angle would explain the Devil's interest in him and set up for some interesting confrontations down the line with Morgan. Though that would make his dad an even bigger dick for making the deal.

April 01 2009 at 5:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Biggus Rickus's comment
xnifex

Who the hell is Morgan & why does everyone keep mentioning him?

April 01 2009 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

I watched the first episode of reaper and forgot it came on. I picked it back up for season 2 and I'm absolutely loving it.. I kinda enjoy the enormity of the cast.. even though I missed Nina I don't think the epi suffered at all.. each story line is funny and exciting.. (Heroes should take note..)

Question: how can Sam's dad give away Sam's soul if Sam is not even his kid? and how can Sam be the son of the devil did the devil impregnate Sam's mom?

April 01 2009 at 4:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph

Everything Kristen does is sexy.

Refresh my memory - how exactly did she become his "sister" - I must have missed that bit in the season premiere.

April 01 2009 at 3:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply