October 2, 2014

Wanda Sykes heading to Fox

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 1st 2009 10:01AM
Wanda on ChristineAside from being a very funny performer, nobody would ever accuse Wanda Sykes of being a shrinking violet. She's a strong, determined and no-nonsense woman and if I was in a foxhole, I'd want her with me.

Therefore, it's my belief that Sykes' deal with Fox for a Saturday night late night show will succeed. It won't be easy, going up against the giant of Saturday night comedy Saturday Night Live, but Wanda's a good bet to give them a good challenge.

The proposed hour comedy show, which is being called topical and will include a panel to discuss issues like The View, would premiere this fall. It'll be taking over for MadTV. In addition to the free-wheeling conversation, Wanda will also venture outside the studio for field segments. Knowing Sykes' comedy style, the out of studio bits will be a cut above Jay-walking.

In fact, if the show is anything like Wanda's stand-up, I predict the Fox censor will be quick on the trigger. She is ribald and raw in concert and completely hilarious. Nothing is off-limits.

While I'm thrilled for Wanda getting her own show, I'm hopeful that this doesn't mean that The New Adventures of Old Christine will not be returning. The latest buzz is that CBS has been satisfied with the performance of Julia Louis-Dreyfus' sitcom in the Wednesday lead-off spot and were leaning to renew the show. If so, the show has to find a way to keep Wanda Sykes in the mix as Barb, Christine's on-again/off-again wife and full-time best friend.

Will

I love Wanda and hope this will be a success for her (though, like a previous poster said, I don't want it to mean she's off "Christine").

April 02 2009 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

hack

April 01 2009 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

Just cos a girl likes to dress fancy on the corner next to some street whores, DON'T MEAN SHE HOOKIN!

April 01 2009 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.

Hopefully she'll turn up on Curb Your Enthusiasm again too. That and the Seinfeld reunion should make it a blast.

April 01 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

"Aside from being a very funny performer..."

I love April Fool's Day humor!

April 01 2009 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Barb is Christine's wife? I must've missed something. I've only seen the first two seasons on DVD.

April 01 2009 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Galley's comment
Ðan

Yup, Christine and Barb got married in this current season, season 4 episode #1 A Decent Proposal
After Barb and her husband's divorce becomes final she
is to be deported back to the Bahamas so Old Christine talks Barb into marrying her to stop Barb's deportation.

April 01 2009 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George McBain

This better not mean she is off Christine. She is a riot and, though the show is great with everyone else, the show would suffer without her.

April 01 2009 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply