December 21, 2014

Could My Name Is Earl jump to Fox?

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 3rd 2009 9:05AM
my name is earl cast

According to industry scuttlebutt, My Name Is Earl is on the ropes and at risk of being canceled by NBC. Nikki Finke is reporting that it's practically a done deal at NBC, but Earl could be moving to Fox.

It's not just the lousy Nielsen ratings that have done the shaggy-dog sitcom in, it's also the rising production costs. NBC has an entire line-up that's bleeding in the ratings, so surgery is required. It is very likely that Earl will get the ax.

But that may not be the end of Earl Hickey. Like Scrubs before it, My Name Is Earl may find a more friendly home on another network. Fox reportedly is inclined to pick up My Name Is Earl. The Fox roster is devoid of sitcom successes, unless they're animated. Brad Garrett's 'Til Death may still technically be coming back in the fall, but nobody would call it a hit show. The last legitimate sitcom of quality on Fox was Arrested Development.

Well, former NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly is now running Fox and he's interested in bringing Earl to his net. His interest isn't purely altruistic or even nostalgic.

20th Century Fox Television produces the show and without enough episodes broadcast, the value of the program in syndication is zilch. Also, Reilly would probably like to see Earl succeed on Fox so he could stick it to NBC. I would.

memo to greg garcia

maybe My Name Is Earl is getting cancelled because NBC & 20TH Century Fox
know now after all the evidence
that was provided by Mark Gable's
world renown lawyers, that garcia really
did rip off Mark Gable's script Karma. And NBC & 20TH Century Fox are embarrassed to be associated with garcia.

cause greg is full of shit.
ask greg to explain Karma by Mark Gable.
Mark Gable wrote My name is Earl, read the lawsuit.
what kind of man accepts an award for work he didn't create?
pats on the back, limo's, champagne, hamptons mansions, red carpet events and lunch at the ivy mean everything to hacks like greg garcia.
it's really tragic when the only way a man can get a hit and win an award is by pretending someone else's work is their own.
writer? Toni morrison is a writer.
greg garcia is a hack and he should step up and return Mark Gable's work.

May 16 2009 at 3:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erin

i think my name is earl is getting better. i think it still has hope for another season. im sorry to say i think 30 rock has to go. at lease a certain actor. i think joy and earl is pretty funny together.

May 02 2009 at 11:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donkey23

Oh snap!

April 04 2009 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yourstarla

I loved Earl the first two seasons - but lately it has just gone a tad over the line, in terms of being completely ridiculous. It's always had a colorful cast of characters - but there's only so far into the obsurd that people are willing to go (well, I guess I should just speak for myself). But, no matter what else is happening, I still love the scenes with Joy. I'm sick of the rest of them, but I could watch a half an hour of Joy.

No matter what though - it's still waaaaay better than Kath and Kim.

April 03 2009 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

Earl's still one of the best shows on TV. After it's cancelled or moved, The Office will be the only thing I watch on NBC.

April 03 2009 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stg

I agree on Earl being stale and kinda boring now. There's only so many good deeds you can do with your never ending lottery money

April 03 2009 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcc3

Then Fox could cancel it.

Its like hiring a hitman instead of doing the deed yourself.

April 03 2009 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CeCe

Don't take away my Earl. I think it has hit its stride again this year. Every ep as been solid, funny, and in such an odd way, sweet. There are only 4 sitcoms on the air that are worth watching, BBT, HIMYM, 30Rock and Earl.

April 03 2009 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Would be one less Scientology show on the air. Good riddance.

April 03 2009 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.

Well it's already jumped the shark. One more jump won't hurt anything.

April 03 2009 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply