April 24, 2014

The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Adam Raised a Cain

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 4th 2009 11:07AM
terminator the sarah connor chronicles adam raised a cain
(S02E21) Wow. Just, wow! This was one of the best episodes of the season. It was also one of the most heartbreaking episodes of the entire series.

I loved everything about this ep -- the pacing, the storytelling, and the surprises. It was all great. But did I mention the heartbreak? Click through for the spoils.

I never imagined Derek Reese would go out like this. Just one week after we said goodbye to Charley Dixon, we saw Derek take one in the head, courtesy of random Terminator #500. (TSCC is starting to remind me of Lost with all of these back-to-back character deaths.) Derek's death was so abrupt and it came so early in this ep – the opening credits weren't even done yet! – that I kept expecting him to show up alive in the final act. It didn't happen. It looks like Derek is gone, and TSCC has lost Brian Austin Green, a great actor who did the finest work of his career on this show. Brian and Derek will be missed.

Derek's death didn't prepare me for the shocker at the end. In the final moments, we saw Sarah walk out of the movie theater and notice what seemed to be a Terminator suspiciously waiting in line at the concession stand. But a squadron of L.A.'s finest was waiting for her right outside the door.

It was painful watching Sarah try to fight her way out of that situation. There was no way she could've escaped, but you can't blame her for trying. I'm certain Ellison had nothing to do with it, but it's a sure bet that John, Cameron and Sarah will never trust him again. He's lucky Cameron didn't break his neck right there. She's been itching to kill him for a while now.

So where do we go from here? We got a few cryptic clues about what Weaverbot is up to with John Henry and ZeiraCorp. She told Ellison that his and Savannah's survival depends on John Henry's survival. Does this mean that humanity's survival depends on the survival of John Henry?

I think so. I'm under the impression that Weaverbot is using John Henry, and teaching him morals and an appreciation for humanity, so that he can combat Skynet and stop Judgment Day. Or something like that. Like the eel in Weaver's fish tank that eats other eels, Weaver is out to stop her own kind from taking over the world. Does this mean she's a good guy? Probably not. She just has her own agenda, and it probably doesn't involve wiping out mankind.

The Connors finally found out about John Henry in this ep. It seemed like these two storylines would never converge, but it finally happened thanks to Savannah's conversation with John. Before getting arrested, Sarah wanted to storm ZeiraCorp and burn it to the ground. That might not be the best plan considering that Weaver and John Henry might be working against Skynet. I'm looking forward to the Connors coming face to face with John Henry and Weaver, hopefully in the next (final?) episode. Will they work together or try to destroy each other?

The episode began with the Connors meeting at the cemetery where Kyle Reese is buried. That scene, especially John's "everybody dies for me" remark, reminded me that John and Sarah have many tough battles left to fight before the war with Skynet is over. It's a shame that we might not get to see it all play out after next week's season ender.

Other Observations:

• The action sequence at the beginning was intense. Finally, we got to see Cameron throw down with another robot twice her size again. It seemed like old times.
  • Shirley Manson is doing a great job in this series. She gave her finest performance yet in this episode.
  • Did anyone else have to laugh when Savannah told Weaver, "But you can't sing"?
  • I'm bettin' that John and Cameron will break Sarah out of jail in the next ep. How do you think they'll do it? Will they go in guns blazing like Arnold in T2, or will they come up with a sneakier plan?

Gossip Girl' Show & Cast Photos

Actress Leighton Meester attends the Gotham Magazine Leighton Meester cover party at Marquee on September 27, 2008 in New York City.

Duffy-Marie Arnoult/WireImage.com

Duffy-Marie Arnoult/WireImage.com

Leighton Meester attends the Gotham Magazine/Leighton Meester Event sponsored by Jose Cuervo Platino at Marquee Nightclub on September 27, 2008 in New York City.

Brian Ach/WireImage.com

Brian Ach/WireImage.com

Brian Ach/WireImage.com

Leighton Meester attends a Gotham Magazine celebration at Marquee on September 27, 2008 in New York City.

Michael N. Todaro/FilmMagic.com

Michael N. Todaro/FilmMagic.com

Blake Lively on location for "Gossip Girl" on September 22, 2008 in New York City.

Bobby Bank/WireImage.com

Cynthia Sparer, Dr. Herbert Pardes, Leighton Meester, Alex Cohen and Pamela W. Barnes attend the Kids for Kids celebrity carnival benefiting the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation at the Park Avenue Armory on September 20, 2008 in New York City.

Jason Kempin/WireImage.com

Actress Leighton Meester attends the Kids for Kids celebrity carnival benefiting the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation at the Park Avenue Armory on September 20, 2008 in New York City.

Jason Kempin/WireImage.com

Frank Homstad

wy is it when a show as good a sarha conner chronicals is being taken off. some people not so yeppy and are sick of reality. enjoy this show. thanks for nothing

April 17 2009 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
me not you

I have a theory - Remember the Submarine episode? Weaver is the metal thing that escaped the box and swam to the surface as the ship sank. It said tell John Connor no but Ithink it changed its mind and John sent itback to teach John Henry (NOTICE THE NAME!!!) to combat his "brother" the virus inside the system before it could even take human shape.
I cried like 3 times inthis episode. Was NOT a brian fan until this show - he was sooooooooooooooooooo good as Reese. :( I think we will still see him in flashbacks....I hope we will anyway.
I LOVE THIS SHOW PLEASE DON"T CANCEL IT FOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 07 2009 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

This is why I watch less and less network programming. They cancel stuff too quickly.

Yo! Studio Execs. If you want viewers, you better start giving them some respect. Otherwise, we will just watch movies via download and surf the internet more. Eventually, we won't even care about network stations...they will just be the "old stations we used to watch."

April 07 2009 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bluestar00

I really hope they donot cancel it. I hate it when they moved it to Friday. Wish they would move it back to a weekday maybe Wed or Thurs...I tape it every time I have to work on that night. The reason people lose interest is because they tale it off and start watching something else. Its like a game show...you keep watching and watch to see what happens...but with this you take it off for a few weeks and months and we wait and wait then we forget. But I have my DVR taping it whenever it comes on. But I love watching it....hope it stays on. Too many things are getting cancel...its their fault FOX, not ours...you keep running 1 or 2 and then we have to wait and some lose interest. Be wise...keep it on and play it running. I love it.

April 07 2009 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

"It looks like Derek is gone, and TSCC has lost Brian Austin Green, a great actor who did the finest work of his career on this show."

Wait. Whaaat?

Has the reviewer lost his mind? Brian Austin Green is a "great actor???" On what planet? If I look Green up on IMDB, what body of work should I revere him with?

Unless he was being wonderfully sarcastic, Mike Moody has got to get to rehab soon. Unless he'll be reviewing that fantastic show with the underrated Miley Cyrus and her thespian father next.

You're fired.

April 07 2009 at 3:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tri

BTW, I also thought Sarah attached the cops to divert attention from John. At the very end, when she was sitting in the police car, it seemed like she saw the terminator who attached them at Weaver's house in the crowd.

April 06 2009 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tri

With all the shock over Derek's death, I don't see anyone discussing some of the more interesting plot developments:

- The new Terminator was after Savannah, or all people. Why? Is he the brother of John Henry? The Connors made the connection with ZieraCorp after they saw a picture of Savannah on the cell phone of one of the assassins that attacked John. So, John Henry's brother, who was directing them handed them the pic as the next target?

- What did Weaver mean when she told John Henry that in this situation, he is not one of the biblical brothers, but God?

- With John now finally really alone and on his own (plus Cameron), will he go after his mother (who is arguably safe in prison) or after ZieraCorp with its SkyNet-in-training?

- Was it Weaver who set up the Connors? Why? Clearly she is now aware of John Connor (if she wasn't before) and killing him is not on her agenda.

April 06 2009 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tri's comment
Ryan

Yes, the picture of Savannah was one of the pieces of data John Henry's "brother" downloaded from him during the infiltration. You can see it pop up on the wall screens during that scene. I assumed that the brother AI sent the terminator to kidnap Savannah for leverage against John Henry and Catherine Weaver. I don't think the terminator is the AI itself, as it doesn't have the sentience to consider itself John Henry's brother.

I'm not conversant in Biblical analysis, so I simply thought Weaver was pointing out that John Henry did not merely have to be the killer or the victim, but could be more powerful than either.

With Derek gone, John will probably need another gun in Sarah to take on ZeiraCorp. Also, remember that a T-888 once got itself arrested in order to kill Derek, so Sarah's definitely not safe in prison.

Either Weaver or John Henry could have called a tip in to the LAPD, as both know that Sarah was close to finding ZeiraCorp, and would probably blow up John Henry and the whole building. And if Weaver had wanted to kill John or Sarah, she could easily just have gone to the theater instead and did it herself.

I replayed the arrest scene and Sarah raises her hands in surrender immediately. It is only when she looks back through the swinging door and sees John standing there that she attacks the police, both to force him to run rather than try to rescue her, and to cause a commotion to aid his escape. And it is the same terminator standing in the crowd watching her. He even has two scabbed-over cuts on his face from the bullets.

April 06 2009 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

BAG had to go...90210 is calling, remember? I was over him anyway. He and John Conner are brooding 90% of the time...it made their scenes way too intense (in a bad way). Magically, as soon as he died John Conner seemed normal again.

April 06 2009 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gaz2727

I had to keep rewinding the scence as i could not believe they killed him off like that.

April 06 2009 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ssco

Am I the only one thinking John Henry will become John Connor in the future?

April 06 2009 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ssco's comment
bsgfan2003

A very interesting thought.

April 08 2009 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply