September 17, 2014

How big will the next Sex and the City movie be?

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 6th 2009 12:07PM
Sex ladiesThe first Sex and the City movie wasn't just a hit. It was a big, big hit. The worldwide box office was $400 million, which even in today's inflated dollars is an awful lot of cash. Therefore, it was no surprise that New Line has green lighted a sequel to the feature based on the HBO series for release in 2010.

Debra wasn't thrilled with more Sex features, but I have faith in Michael Patrick King. However, there is another issue; while all the ladies are inked for the Sex and the City sequel, Chris Noth is not, which may -- or may not -- be a "big" deal.

Reports claim that Noth is balking at playing Big again because of scheduling conflicts, but the true conflict is money. It's not unusual that he would be looking for a more this go-round, especially in light of the film's boffo success.

Here's the thing, though; Sex and the City doesn't need Mr. Big. During the HBO run, Carrie had a variety of boyfriends, even though she always drifted back to Big. But after the way Carrie was kicked around by Big in the first movie, including being left at the altar, it might be more realistic for her to return the favor.

Couldn't Michael Patrick King choose to liberate Carrie once and for all from the spell of Mr. Big by dumping him at the beginning of the next movie? There would be a lot of women -- and SATC fans in general -- who'd applaud that.

It would leave the door open for either a new man for Carrie, or maybe a return of Aidan, the always wonderful John Corbett, or what about The Russian (Mikhail Baryshnivov) or Jack Berger (Ron Livingston). There's a wealth of possibilities for Carrie, so Noth might not be a necessity.

By the way, one character who has already said she'd be happy to come back for the sequel is Louise, Carrie's assistant. Oscar-winner Jennifer Hudson would love to be in the new picture.

Islandaise

I loved the movie, and I can't wait for the next one! I didn't care for The Russian or Jack Berger, and I wouldn't want them back.

April 07 2009 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Oh, please, no, not Aidan! I love John Corbett but I always hated Aidan. He was such a drip and so not right for Carrie. Anytime they show a rerun with Aidan I skip it because he simply never brought any fun to the show. He was created to have this "humanizing" effect on Carrie but to me all he did instead was try to make her into something she wasn't -- i.e., the kind of woman who puts her husband's needs and wants ahead of her own -- and I was so glad when she finally came to her senses and dumped him before the wedding. Good riddance.

On a separate note, to each his/her own, but I do not understand all of the people who are always going on and on about how much they HATE this show and everybody on it but yet they know every episode (because they watched them all) and then paid money/took time out of their lives to see the movie. If I don't like something, I don't watch it, period. Makes no sense to me.

April 07 2009 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

I wouldn't be too concerned with Chris Noth signing, I mean what else does he have to do?

April 07 2009 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

I thought the 1st movie was a fitting end to the series. Carrie and Big belong together so please no breakups.

April 06 2009 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nei0327

They may be able to do the movie without Big, but she should not dump him. He didn't really jerk her around in the movie, it was all Miranda's fault. Carrie and Big are meant to be together. Aidan is too good for her, and Berger and the Russian were jerks.

April 06 2009 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goodneighbor

The movie tied up all the loose ends from the show. Its a show & a movie and all lived happily ever after. Leave it be. No way should Carrie leave Big!!! If you were a diehard fan of the show you would know that!
Just my 2cents worth.

April 06 2009 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khia213

I enjoyed the series and I even organized a party behind the opening of the movie. I was so disappointed by the movie that when this new one comes out, I'll wait until it shows up on cable. The movie went for the worst tendencies in the series. It was sexist, racist and materialist. Not a experience I'm willing to pay for again.

April 06 2009 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carrespondent

The show was fun and had zip before it became a star vehicle for Sarah Jessica Parker instead of an ensemble. The sex, humor and dirty fun are pluses. The materialism and gold-digging are the problem. All four lead characters are bad role models -- not just for women and girls, but for all humans.

Plus, who the f**k wears a bra when having sex? It's just wrong!

April 06 2009 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Oh come on Jimmy, have a sense of humor. My underlying point is that there is absolutely NOWHERE else for SATC to go after the series and the last movie. Plus the characters are all extremely annoying, shallow, and irritating.

I'm not saying I actually have the desire to watch a ten minute rape scene.... but the only place SATC has to go that would be fresh and interesting would be for the 4 girls to be murdered. And it would be a satisfying ending to the series. Kill 'em off.

April 06 2009 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
Anita

I actually have to agree with J. Joking about assault, isn't all that funny. Just snarking about their need to do something fresh is enough -

April 06 2009 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I just want to see all 4 of them robbed, raped, and murdered... and all their shoes stolen. Then we can have Tommy Lee Jones track down the "Four Whores" killer.

I'd pay a lot to see that. It'd be awesome to have the rapist/killer turn out to be one or more of the various ex-boyfriends. Kyle MacLaughlin and John Corbett, maybe.

Make it a violent slasher flick. Would there be any greater movie crime scene than the dead, bloody bodies of Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda lying in a Manhattan alley?

April 06 2009 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
Jimmy

Dude, seriously, even if you mean this as some sort of sarcasm it's way out of line. Not to mention a bit creepy.

April 06 2009 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply