August 27, 2014

Heroes: Turn and Face the Strange

by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 7th 2009 1:05AM
Cristine Rose as Angela Petrelli in (S03E22) Considering how secretive Angela Petrelli is about absolutely everything, I guess it should come as no surprise that even her family will have to dig for answers. And this when she's indicated she's going to come clean. Yeah, I can't say that I really understand the point of the ending of this episode. Why would the digging be necessary? Nevertheless, despite this odd bit of episodic closure, the rest of the episode continued to raise the bar for the show creatively.

Giving Sylar shape-shifting abilities ratcheted the tension in almost every scene. When Sandra first showed up, I was wondering if she was Sylar. Then Danko. Then Sandra again. Well, he was at least one of those. I guess when he picked up the power last week I didn't fully realize the full implications it would have on my viewing experience. You have to pay even more attention to the subtle character nuances. It was fun, though, to see different actors carrying off some of Zachary Quinto's "Sylar mannerisms." It's a fun power to play with and certainly makes him a hell of a lot more intimidating.

That said, when HRG shot him and yelled at him to get up, wouldn't it have been logical to stoop down and maybe check to make sure Sylar wasn't playing possum. It's not like he can control the healing. Hell, Noah didn't even lift up the back of his jacket to check the wound itself. Sloppy work, but I guess paranoia can make you sloppy. Plus, we needed to get him fully separated from Danko's operation so he could show up in time for the dig-fest I mentioned earlier.

In other storylines, I have no idea where they're going with the Baby Matt story. Matt's ex-wife is still in government custody, as far as we know, and she knows that Ando and Hiro have her baby. As we learned from Chuck (you do watch Chuck right before Heroes right?) "everybody talks," which means the government might know by now, too. And while Matt is thrilled to find out he has a son, not to mention the implications on the fact that his ex named the baby after him and what that says about residual feelings she must have for him, what now?

The "Baby Touch and Go" power set is intriguing, but it's still a little unexplained. The baby touched Hiro and turned his powers on. Now we learn that when he's unhappy, he turns things off. I guess the car seat touching the truck was enough touching for it to work. Does that mean that he can turn of peoples' abilities, as well, if he's unhappy?
It looks like Mohinder's on his own path to Coyote Sands, or "The Ass End of Nowhere." So he'll follow the trail of his father and reunite with the Petrelli part of our intrepid gang of do-gooders. But the question remains, what are Angela's secrets? And as I posited at the beginning of this post, why is she making her family dig quite literally before she will tell them anything?

"How many (bodies) are here?" Nathan asked her. And her response was not a number, a guesstimate or anything like that. Just "keep digging." Is she torturing them? Can't remember the number and is curious herself? And why wasn't she helping? The whole scene played off as very odd. If it's just to reveal that people were killed and buried here, then why do they need to dig up skeletons? Just say "Hey, we killed a bunch of people and chucked their bodies out here."

stg

Baby Parkman is going to grow up to be one bratty kid with that power of his

April 08 2009 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

heroes finally seems interesting again. im actually excited to see next weeks episode

April 07 2009 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Archon

I think they were a little too obvious about the shapechanging. I could always tell who Sylar was, who Sylar wasn't, and I could even tell that HRG fas faking Sylar being him. I mean, nice try Heroes, but your effort to bamboozle failed.

I wonder how Coyote Sands relates to the rest of the story. This Volume is a vast improvement over the past tow, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of urgency or long-term goal. They're floundering a bit, and hopefully next week will provide some sense of urgency.

The Nathan thing always did confuse me. First he tries to give everyone powers, then an episode later he's trying to lock up everyone with powers? Oh well, I guess he thought that locking everyone up was the next best thing. I just wish they could have explained his train of thought for this change more.

Did anyone else think there were too many coincidences in this episode? I mean I get the theme of destiny, as it worked will in Season 1, but how did Hiro know where to save Matt Parkman (and save him at the exact last second, you kidding me)? And then Mohinder just happens to go back to his old place where the super guy just happens to tell him his dad left some other papers which just happen to be about the Coyote Sands place everyone else is going to. The whole coyote Sands thing feels a little rushed and out of nowhere. They didn't really lead up to it the way Heroes normally does, they're basically just like "Oh, btw, there's this new place and it's really important." Hopefully they'll connect it to the past. The company was founded in 1962 according to certain media, so next week, 1961, will probably definitely explore the Company's origins! Then maybe in flashbacks we'll see Adam and Arthur again, the embodiments of two fantastic volumes! Hooray! (That was sarcasm by the way)

April 07 2009 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy

I hope the Coyote Sands internment camp turns out to be an interesting story. It could be a fascinating twist and answer some perplexing questions. I'm remaining optimistic . . . digging and all!

I loved having Hero and Ando appear again. Their comic style is fabulous!

And I'm waiting for Peter to touch Sylar in an upcoming episode and gain all his powers. Now that would be sweet!

April 07 2009 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cindy's comment
LC

It is weird how the writers had Peter gain Sylars power when they first met. Sylar's primary power is to completely understand how things work, yet Peter only absorbed his telekinesis. Maybe Peters ability only allowed him to absorb the most active powers, otherwise he would have absorbed all of Sylars powers when he saved Claire.

My guess is that Parkmans kid will restart Pete's power. He could then reacquire powers like he did before. Hopefully Hiro only keeps his time stopping powers, so Peter won't be able to time travel either.

April 08 2009 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Age-K

As far as Bennett not bending down to check the "body" of shapeshifted-Sylar goes, there were a lot of guns trained on him. If he bent down, he puts himself in a more vulnerable position in front of a whole bunch of trained guys with aimed guns who just saw him kill their team leader.

April 07 2009 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

Does anyone else think that baby is Greg G.'s real life son? (I didn't hunt down the credits or anything) but that baby was so happy to see him, and was really playful with him. It was my fave part of Matt Parkman's story-line.
I also believe in the Coyote Sands "this all happened before" theory.
How great was truck-guy? I was laughing the entire time.

April 07 2009 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to La-Di-Dah's comment
clgbutterfly

My husband used to have a joke about a News Reporter that worked for the "Japanese Jewish Cowboy Journal"

April 07 2009 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

Now that Daphne is dead and Parkman has got closure (revenge) maybe he can go back to being a cool character we all liked.

April 07 2009 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven

I'm not trying to be a hater b/c I still love the show, but I'm not sure why the "shapeshifting" ability is so important. Doesn't Syler already have a similar ability that he picked up when he killed Candice in the second (or third) volume? Did they forget about that, or am I not remembering correctly? That ability was better anyway b/c you could change the whole surrounding, not just your body.

April 07 2009 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Steven's comment
E

You're right that Sylar killed Candice in the Second Volume. However, his powers weren't working then so he was unable to take Candice's.

April 07 2009 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superrrguy

Save the chubby guy, save the world. Are they going anywhere with Hiro's story?

Are we all pretending that Nathan didn't try to lock up everyone? Did they ever give a good reason for why he wanted to lock up everyone?

Best part was when HRG took his glasses off and pretended to be Sylar pretending to be him. Worst part was when Sylar told Danko to get the mole checked out and the whole Russian girlfriend stuff, especially the accent.

Does anyone think that Denko is crazy miscast? He's tiny like really visibly smaller than everyone else and old and there may be something wrong with his neck. He's supposed to be a tough guy. I'm only asking because I wonder if there is a reason for this. Will he have his own secret powers?

April 07 2009 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

This will either be a pretty good episode or a really boring episode depending on the rest of the story arc.

Noah made a smart playing in outting Denko. I enjoyed that. Reminds us how smart his character is.

Parkman: still boring and forced.

The digging: yeah, we'll have to see where that's going and I hope it's interesting...

April 07 2009 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply