October 20, 2014

I hope you didn't get too attached to Kings

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 7th 2009 3:35PM
Kings
There are two ways to get rid of a show. The network could just cancel it outright and never show it again, or they could take the show and burn off the remaining episodes on Saturday night, once a night of must-see TV but now a night filled with reruns, movies, and shows like Cops. Some would say that the latter is the worst of the fates, since you know it's going to be canceled but it's still on the air as a tease. Guess which NBC did with Kings?

Yup, the network has taken the show off of Sunday nights and will air the remaining eight episodes on Saturday nights at 8PM. The ratings kept falling and falling, with last week's episode getting the lowest ratings yet. NBC just sees no reason to leave it on Sunday nights. To fill the hour, Celebrity Apprentice will expand to three hours.

Just kidding. They're expanding Dateline to two hours. Is that better?

jffm

It's a great show, but the ratings were tanking so I can't blame NBC for taking care of business. I'm very happy they're running the remaining shows, and in a way that won't make me wait months to see them.

I wish it were otherwise, but not everything I like is going to be successful. That's life. My thanks to all the creatives involved in "Kings" for the entertainment the show has provided and will provide in the final episodes.

April 08 2009 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Imp

I'm in love with this show, I think it's fantastic and has been helping fill the void in my heart left by Battlestar. And they moved it - oh well, it wasn't gonna get a second season anyway. I'm just happy they did that instead of canceling it and not letting us see the rest of the episodes. Here's hoping for an ending that ties up a couple of the awesome plotlines they started.

April 08 2009 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

OH LORD do we really need a extra hour of celeb.app. ?

April 08 2009 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathanael

I disagree - I thought the pilot was engaging and fairly well-written. It'd be nice to see this move to a cable network where it doesn't need to pull 5mil+ each episode to not get canceled.

April 07 2009 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

They lost me after the first 5 minutes.

Would have been great to have a good show, but if you can't do a good pilot/premiere episode, then forget it.

April 07 2009 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike MacDonald

I'm not sure what you all are talking about, but the "kings" I watched a few weeks ago was not very good. Just kidding, I know what your talking about, I just find it hard to believe anyone actually made it to the end of the pilot episode let alone watched episode two or three. I lied it wasn't just not very good, it was really, really, really, really bad.

April 07 2009 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

very disappointing. everytime i find a new show i like it gets cut.

i watched kings, drive on fox, justice on fox, traveller cant remember what station it was on and all cut. it really sucks. justice and kings starred the same black guy (dont know his name). the lady from kings thomasina the black woman used to be a vj for muchmusic out here in canada. sorry no she was on musicplus the french version lol.

i think what someone mentioned was right they promoted the first episode very heavily but then they didnt re-air the pilot. they should have put that on at least 2 or 3 more times through the week.

also i feel the guy that played david was too pretty for the role. he was supposed to be some regular guy magically whisked from like a rags to riches type story. he looked more like a prince than the actual prince. they should have made him look a little more rough originally .

thats my 2 cents

April 07 2009 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

This show is less interesting each week. It is better than most network television, no doubt. But it does not compare to some of the riveting series on HBO and Showtime. I could not seem to care about these characters, even though I wanted to. Capt. Shepherd's character is by far the worst acting on the show. The best by far, of course is, Ian McShane as the King. There just doesn't seem to be interesting back stories. There is a lack of chemistry between the characters. Maybe it is the fact that is is set in a mythical kingdom that doesn't let me engage, but it's just not that good. However, it will be a welcome addition on Saturday night, since there is nothing else to watch then.

April 07 2009 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

It's better than being relegated to the Web, like NBC did with Kidnapped.

I watched the Kings pilot and knew I shouldn't invest any more time. I'll stick to FX and AMC for my dramas.

April 07 2009 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Very sad. But expected.

Oh well. Life moves on.

April 07 2009 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ryan's comment
ricky19

unless they cancel that show to. ZING!

but im really pissed about this i was really liking this show, i'll still watch the rest either on saturday or they have NBC ondemand now so i can watch it on that if they proceed with that.

April 07 2009 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply