October 23, 2014

I'd rather not watch Leno every weeknight

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Apr 7th 2009 10:02AM
Jay Leno looks way too smugI'm dreading the fall 10 PM ET/PT time slot on NBC. Oh, I know there's still a lot of time between now and then. But I figure I need to plan ahead. Sure, I realize I'm a Letterman fan who never took to Leno. However, I don't think I'd enjoy seeing Letterman each weeknight in a primetime slot, either. Sigh.

If you've been living under a rock, you might not realize that Jay Leno will be hosting his show every night during the 10 PM hour while Conan O'Brien hosts The Tonight Show at 11:30. I don't like this, not at all.

So I have to get a contingency plan in place. I've been trying to think of what I'll do for my TV fix at that hour.

Let's see ... I could:
  • Plan a nightly bubble bath with a glass of wine and classical music wafting in. Of course, that's not quite television, but it's better than Jay Leno in my living room! Or, even worse, Jay Leno in my bedroom. Ew!
  • Rewatch my DVDs of The Wire including all the commentary extras for an hour each night at 10 PM. I know that wouldn't last all that long, as the series was only on for five years. But it would remind me that well-written dramas with clever humor are possible.
  • Watch the local FOXNY news so I can be up on all the local murders, sports, and weather. You never know. There may be a pop quiz at work about current events.
  • Crank classic rock on my stereo so my neighbors will call the cops and I might get a cameo appearance on Cops.
  • Light a candle each night mourning the death of the NBC 10 PM primetime hour.
  • Get hooked on the Animal Precinct and Animal Cops shows on Animal Planet at 10 PM.
  • Read a book during Leno, thus snubbing his existence on my television.
  • Go to bed early. But then I'd have to get up to watch Letterman.
  • Give TNT and TBS a lot more of my attention at 10 PM. I'd say CBS, but CSI: Miami has David Caruso whose talents I enjoy about as much as I do Leno's. Blech.

If we have to have a "variety" show on every weeknight at 10 PM, I'd rather they show old shows which you never see aired anywhere, like:
  • Ed Sullivan -- I loved that mouse!
  • The Smothers Brothers
  • Heck, even Laugh-In
At least I'd be entertained, not creeped out by Leno!

Will you be watching Leno in primetime?
Yes, I love him!46 (14.5%)
If nothing else good is on.70 (22.0%)
No way ... I'd rather (tell us in comments!)202 (63.5%)

Ðan

AS long as NBC finds a new timeslot for MediuM - Jay Leno can have the 10pm time slot on weekdays P.S. I ain't watching him though.

April 08 2009 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sparta

I think it sucks that this may cause great shows (like Chuck) to be canceled.

April 07 2009 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riki

You. could. turn. it. off.

April 07 2009 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Riki's comment
Jennifer

This kind of thing is what Netflix is for, dude.

April 07 2009 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Holtzinger

I like Leno over Letterman. That being said, I watch Leno maybe once every fortnight depending on the guest(s) he has on. I currently tivo a number of shows and seldom watch any show "live". I'll likely just keep watching my dvred dramas and ignore Leno completely. Hopefully ABC and CBS will counter program some decent dramas. We can only pray for the cancellation of CSI:Miami, David Caruso is abysmal.

April 07 2009 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I like Jay Leno. Granted, he's not as funny as he once was (IMO), but I always preferred him over Letterman's wit. Watching him at 10pm, however, will only be on occasions when nothing else of interest is on. I'd prefer to watch Johnny Carson's Tonight Show reruns over either of these guys.

April 07 2009 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MarcDom7

Save LIFE and CHUCK. Destroy Leno and this scheduling debacle.

April 07 2009 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

I just don't see this show lasting beyond one year. I think NBC have too much confindance that "The Tonight Show" is a hit because of Leno and not the fact that its "The Tonight Show." A show that's been around since the 60's. "The Tonight Show" is like "The Price is Right" it will always be there, no matter who the host is.

April 07 2009 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

I'm from Boston, and proud that my local NBC station said "no" to the 10 pm Leno hour. I'd rather watch news, cable, hell, I'd rather watch paint dry than watch Leno.

April 07 2009 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladytex

I prefer to watch dramas at that time, so I'll be hunting good ones to watch. I guess I'll be watching more TNT. I'm not crazy about Leno, so this doesn't even make me curious to watch him.

April 07 2009 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Gunter

This is all about one thing:How much the same and/or different will this Leno show be to the old one?

If it's The Earlier Than Before Tonight Show...it dies quickly.If it's something different then it has a chance.

For me this show is "watch depending on what else is on".

April 07 2009 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply