Adam Lambert did not sing Tears For Fears' "Mad World" last night - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 8th 2009 2:25PM
Adam LambertI swore to myself that I wasn't going to watch American Idol this year or do any posts about it. I've stuck with the former promise but here I am writing a post about American Idol, so obviously I have no consistency or integrity.

I've been reading the controversy (so-called) of the show running late last night and DVRs not recording Adam Lambert's performance of Tears For Fears' "Mad World," a song released in the year he was born (1982 - I guess this was the theme of the night). So I watched the video at Ryan Seacrest's site, and you know what? Lambert didn't perform a song from the year he was born.

As TV Squad reader Phil points out and I realized right away, Lambert did the Gary Jules version of "Mad World," the slower, moodier version of the Tears For Fears song, and that was released only, what, five or ten years ago? It's a good take, and Lambert did a fine job, but I don't think we should be praising him as doing such an original take on it. He simply copied Jules. Maybe Jimmy Kimmel is right when he calls this America's "karaoke show."

Can I stop writing about Idol now? Thanks!

Rob Clifford

Whoa.... this is all so interesting to know. In 1982 I was a freshman in college and a HUGE Tears For Fears fan, so do the math and you'll know I'm old enough to be Adam Lambert's father, whom I'm also a huge fan of, this being the first season that I've paid attention to Idol. And I gotta agree totally with Jefferson Burns above; I think the point as to do a song which originated from the year the contestant was born.... the song SAYS something about the year/time. Some songs get reinterpreted every year by somebody which could mean you could pick just about anything and the theme would lose its point.

Mostly tho I just wanted to say that it's really great to be enlightened about Gary Jules and his version. I had no idea. It's totally unique and, you're right Bob Sassone, Adam did a great job, but props where they belong: TFF for an amazing song among many; GJ for a gorgeous/unique reinterpretation; AL for picking up on both of his predecessors and doing an equally beautiful performance. All good.

Oh, and probably shouldn't admit this, but the Gary Jules version, and the video, make me cry. Weird, huh?

May 02 2009 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M

Gary Jules liked adam's mad world performance! Also are all you kidding me. He is one the best performer and singer the show has every had.

May 02 2009 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill Barringer

LOL!!!!!

American Idol's Adam "Herbert the Pervert" Lambert "Mad World" [MUSIC VIDEO] - http://bit.ly/nJfb

April 14 2009 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe

all a joke..... these singers get all this 'credit' for re-interpreting classic songs we know, but like david cook, they are ALL lesser known public versions, ala chris cornell's billy jean version....

April 13 2009 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Adam Lambert has been an Elvis impersonator in the past? I see Elvis all over him.... in a newer modern hip kinda way. Im curious.... email me you thoughts on this.... Donnak1961@aol.com

April 13 2009 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sonya

All I can say is this. I thought the song was weird and I hated it, now having said that I thought the rendition was BRILLIANT and amazing. To me, that is a testiment to a singer when he or she can make me love HOW they did it and how amazing they sounded when the song, for me, was totally weird! Here is how good Adam is, I would listen to it again just to hear how good he sounds. And if you think I am saying this just because I am an Adam fan, you are wrong. I am not a fan of rock particularly, and he is a rocker at heart, I think. But you have to give credit where credit is due and this is a singing competition and he is emerging to be the best singer and performer there. I would not go see him in concert because that is not my type of music, but I do think he is the best. After that I would say Allison is 2nd, although again, not my kind of artist, but still fantasitic, then Lil (who is one of my favorites) and then it gets dicey to call for me. I love Danny and he is also one of my favorites, even though I do not think he will or should win simply because he is not the best, but still very good. I would love to see him go on to a Christian music career because that is my type of music. At any rate, it seems to me that you would have to be deaf or just in denial to not see that Adam is the best and most versital by a mile.

April 12 2009 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

It's a singing competition people. He delivered it beautifully. Gary Jules thinks he has a beautiful voice. That is why he is running away with this show right now....Because he is sexy, talented and charismatic..... and he already has a lot of fans around the world. Gokey is boring- like archuleta last year- just keeps doing the same thing over and over again. I like Kris Allen and Allison Iraheta and think that should round out the top 4.

April 11 2009 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tanabanana

Listen to this song; if you do not already adore Adam, you will at least appreciate his talent.

I HOPE HE SINGS THIS ON AI-it will seal his fate; in a good way.

April 10 2009 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

Even though Adam Lambert didn't do the Tears For Fears' version of Mad World, at least he did a good job on the Gary Jules version. This is so similar to David Archuleta doing We Can Work It Out on Beatles' week, except it was the Stevie Wonder remake. I wish that finalists get songs from the actual year instead of a remake of a song that came out that year. Maybe they couldn't get through permission issues of the song of their birth year that they really wanted to sing.

April 10 2009 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GENE

Gary Jules disagrees with you!

"'Mad World' re-arranger praises Adam Lambert"

Jules, 40, thinks Lambert put a signature spin on his cover-of-a-cover.

"It was fantastic," he says. "He has a beautiful voice. ...
I heard his Michael Jackson cover and I heard some of his other stuff, and I think that he's probably one of the most - if not the most - interesting performer I've ever seen on `American Idol.'"

April 09 2009 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply