April 19, 2014

Fringe: Inner Child

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 8th 2009 7:46AM
Fringe: Inner Child
(S01E15)
"There is so much that is unexplained ... until it is." - Walter Bishop

First things first: I'm so glad to have Fringe back! It's such a good show, and this episode with its tense moments, mind-freak games, and The Observer reminded me once again why I love it. And, of course, everything that is Walter Bishop. The scene with the record player and the blues and the neurotransmitter was classic Walter.

They sure jumped right into it with the opening scene: the storyline about the contractor having a "feeling," double-checking the building before demolishing it, finding the hollow room below, and then finding the child in the dank, dark bowels of the building ... it all made for an intense opening scene that made you feel like anything could happen.

And the way the child's empathic skills tied into The Artist storyline was awesome. At first, I thought the child was part human, part beastly creature, and part alien. I'm still not sure, because of the ending scene with The Observer. What did you all think of that? The boy was all happy until he saw The Observer on the street, but then he frowned. So whomever The Observer is and whatever his reasons for being here can't be good.

My theory is that the boy is another Observer. They certainly looked a lot alike, didn't they? Could the boy have come from another dimension and ended up beneath the building? And why did the CIA guy say that they'd found "another one." Apparently, they're keeping track of these creatures or Observers. And if so, where are the others?

It seems like Olivia might want to keep this boy close to her, if he can help solve some of these mystery crimes. I wonder if we'll see him again. And as usual, Agent Broyles appears to know more than he's saying. He's certainly a man of mystery.

I also really appreciated the talents of Spencer List, the actor who played the boy. He said so much without saying anything. I hope we get to see more of him in Fringe.

Your thoughts on tonight's episode? Happy to have Fringe back?

Fringe' Show & Cast Photos

FRINGE Walter (John Noble), Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) enter a governement warehouse to examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv), Walter (John Noble) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) return to the lab to gather more information on a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Walter (John Noble, L) and Peter (Joshua Jackson, R) examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival". Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 13: Actress Jasika Nicole attends FOX's "Fringe" premiere during the 2008 New York Television Festival at New World Stage on September 13, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Jasika Nicole

Getty Images

Executive Producers John Wirth, Josh Friedman and James Middleton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Molly Stanton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Mark Valley arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

bill

I hate american idol. Same thing will happen next week too. I set my DVR to record an extra 15 min. Comcastic Comcast also did the same thing last week and this week with my second favorite show, REAPER.

April 13 2009 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carl

My theory is the boy is THE Observer. Not one of them. There is only one. And the final scene is evidence of his ability to travel through time.

The CIA agent's (Social worker? That's the worse cover since Casey pretended to be a nerd in Chuck.) comment that they found another one I haven't figured out yet. Maybe they keep finding different versions of the the Observer and they think there is more than one. Bet they don't have any in possession.

April 11 2009 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

Here's a thought: The CIA guy said "we found another" so I took that to mean the CIA was running some kind of experience to see if humans could survive in deprived conditions or something like that. If that is true, and the kid is also an observer, could the CIA be creating the observers?

April 10 2009 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Wow, you guys all read so much into the end scene, and the kid's reaction to seeing the Observer, like he knew who the guy was or what it meant for his life going forward. The kid was smiling, then it slipped and he looked a little confused for a second, and then he looked out the window and saw the observer, who was looking back at him. I just assumed he sensed something, and it turned out to be someone like him. He wouldn't necessarily know who he was or anything like that, but suddenly sensing someone who senses you back would put a frown on my face too. I believe the whole scene was set up to just show us that the kid's another observer. What that means is left up for the viewer to decide, but it was a cool reveal nonetheless.

April 09 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Fox isn't the only network wih this problem, CBS does it all the time to the Amazing Race due to NFL or more recently the NCAA. Even those deliverate 1 or 2 minutes here and there on other networks make me nuts. Yeah, you want us to skip the next show on another network, we get it but it doesn't work.

I thought the child actor was fabulous. He clearly is an observer and am also surprised that none of the regular cast made that connection. My take on the ending is that the boy is so happy because he is heading to a family and craves that connection to people and seeing/sensing the observer makes him realize that it is likely only a short reprieve and that he will eventually be alone, again, whenever he has to take up whatever the observer's job is.

April 09 2009 at 5:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

First thank goodness I was able to watch live. Fox isn't the only network with this problem, CBS mucks with The
Amazing Race all the time based on NFL

April 09 2009 at 5:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

Leonard Nimoy will be joining the Fringe casts as William Bell!

April 09 2009 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

Was hoping for a strong follow up to "Ability" but we got X-Filed again with a standalone episode that takes us no further into the key ZFT Other Worlds thread. Also, advice to all DVR'ers, always record the show following Fringe, just to be safe.

April 09 2009 at 1:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maggie

I hate AI! Why don't they come up with a channel that just plays junk like AI and Lost and all that other reality crap? Luckily we were watching Fringe in real time, or the DVR would have screwed us too.
I love Fringe, best show out there, one of the few left

April 08 2009 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Maggie's comment
Andrew

What are you talking about? Lost is not reality crap.

April 09 2009 at 3:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply