November 1, 2014

Should Reaper now abandon all hope?

by Danny Gallagher, posted Apr 8th 2009 3:01PM
The cast of CW's ReaperReaper is not just one of my favorite TV shows. It's also one of my TV's favorite surprises. Every time I watch an episode, my TV suffers a moral dilemma.

"This show is funny, witty, very entertaining and unafraid to be absurd and just plain bat#*$& crazy," my TV said to me during last week's episode. "Why the #*$& am I letting you watch it?"

It looks as though my TV is about to get its way. It always does. It cuts all my favorite scenes from Top Gear before they are transferred from the British to the American version. It never lets my TiVo keep an All in the Family episode past a couple of days. It would broadcast nothing but Billy Mays commercials in my head if it developed telepathy, and trust me, it's working on it. I'd throw the thing out the window, but that's not covered in the warranty. The manufacturer may not call that an "act of God," but I sure as hell would.

The Hollywood Reporter announced the show's executive producers and creators Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters have scored a big development deal with 20th Century Fox that's worth more money than Satan can give them. The recession has hit EVERYONE hard, except Rupert Murdoch.

The new deal means they will have to leave Reaper. So where does this leave my favorite show and my TV's least favorite show?

I came to Reaper late in its life, but I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far. I'm a big fan of all sorts of absurdist, supernatural comedy and Reaper hits its mark on both counts. It's got the dark, brooding lore of an H.P. Lovecraft story. mixed with the crazed, lunatic mindset of a Christopher Moore novel. The only other shows that would fit that description are maybe the original Night Stalker and the Glenn Beck Program.

So let's shake the Magic Eight Ball of television and see what answers bubbles to the surface.

Will Reaper stay on the air now that its creator have flown the coop?
Signs point to yes.145 (22.7%)
My sources say no.334 (52.3%)
Reply hazy, try again. 160 (25.0%)

[via Pop Candy and io9]

Jennifer

They're jumping because they know it'll be canceled. Duh.

90% of the shows I watch have gotten canceled or will be canceled this year. Whoopee. I'm not even surprised any more.

April 10 2009 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

What happened to the review of this week's show?

April 09 2009 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hugeliver

AMEN to all!! Now if only we could get the fat cats to read this.

April 09 2009 at 7:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suntzu

Who knows maybe new writers will write Andy less bitchy and annoying

April 09 2009 at 4:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
catko

I agree with the folks here who say this is one of the best shows on TV! Sure, it disappoints at times. But it's still funny, quirky, with great characters.

Some of us haven't given up on hoping for a Season 3. Campaigns! Series Finale was nice enough to write up a Campaign article (with a cool button no less), and they started a petition. It's up to 9 pages already. It would be nice if we could start getting the word out about it.

April 09 2009 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

Reaper IS a good show. However, the story arcs have been responsible for the HoHum attitude I've taken lately. I would have liked for another take on the whole thing so...

Maybe in ten years they can reboot the series like they just did with Cupid? Missy will be just old enough to play the old bitty behind the counter at the DMV.

I would have loved to have seen a different direction, such that somehow Sam would have been able to somehow usurp the Devil's powers, thus exerting some power that he didn't want, but truly threatening what power the Devil had, but the series built up so much "Hell is just a badly managed office" mythos, it's kinda boring to think about.

April 08 2009 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
S Wilson

So, just so I understand, Pushing Daisies and Eli Stone are canceled. Chuck and now Reaper are on the "wait and see" list...THIS is exactly why I should NEVER watch TV! As soon as we find a show we love, it is gone!!

I have two elementary-aged daughters who I enjoy watching Chuck and Pushing Daisies with...not only are the shows NOT animated, they are excellent shows we can watch as a family!!

Now it is possible I lose Reaper, the show I get to enjoy watching, after the girls are in bed. I guess if a show is creative it must be taken off. If a show isn't "based in reality" or a police/doctor/sex and violence-filled show it doesn't work for the basic networks.

Again, THIS is why I should never watch any TV. Thanks ABC, NBC, CBS, CW and FOX.

April 08 2009 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George McBain

"It's got the dark, brooding lore of an H.P. Lovecraft story. mixed with the crazed, lunatic mindset of a Christopher Moore novel."

Amen, brother.

April 08 2009 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

It's a tough call. I want to say now it has no shot of staying . This coupled with the fact that the CW wants an a lineup filled with shows that bring in the young female demo. Reaper certainly does not do this. What Reaper does do is bring in more viewers than 90210(the CW's prized show) and it does this up against American Idol. I think CW should consider bringing Reaper back again for 13 episodes but, then again, this is the CW. Chances are slim.

April 08 2009 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Sadly Reaper is yet another show that is too good for television. I know this because I love this show and with all shows I love it must be canceled.

Why can't I just like Grey's Anatomy, Gossip Girl, or American Idol like apparently everyone who matters does?

April 08 2009 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply