October 21, 2014

Stargate vets Anderson and Shanks to appear in Universe

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 8th 2009 7:01PM
stargate universe richard dean andersonSyFy's Stargate Universe will kick off with help from two familiar faces this fall. Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks will reprise their Stargate: SG-1 roles in the series premiere of Universe, which is billed as a darker, character driven sci-fi show.

Shanks' appearance will be a one-time cameo, according to consulting producer Joseph Mallozzi. Anderson, however, will make multiple guest appearances in Universe in addition to showing up in the two-hour premiere. The actor said he would make "slim appearances" in the first "half dozen" episodes or so.

Anderson and Shanks both made guest appearances in the first Stargate spinoff, Stargate Atlantis, but I didn't expect them to show up in Universe. Judging by almost everything the show's producers and some of the actors are saying, Universe will be more of a character drama that distinguishes itself from the alien-based adventures and the, er, goofiness of SG-1 and Atlantis. It almost seems like the franchise is trying to reinvent itself with Universe, which is why it comes as a surprise to me that Stargate vets Anderson and Shanks will be a part of this series.

Still, I'm not complaining. Actually, I'm looking forward to watching Jack O'Neil and Daniel Jackson dive into this darker version of Stargate. SG-1's Gary Jones will also make a cameo in the Universe premiere as Gate tech Walter Harriman.

Alicia R.

WALTER!!

I think that the premiere would be lost without Walter.

It doesn't suprise me that Shanks is going to guest spot, and with RDA, it's icing on the cake as you will.

Yes, SGU will be darker. Yes, SGU will be char. driven. Yes, SGU takes place on a ship. Give it a chance before you start to say "BSG rip-off!". TPTB that made the two previous Stargate series the wonderful shows that they are are still involved. Give it a chance people!

And to those of you that are so angry about SGA getting cancelled... face it. People weren't watching it. If people were watching it, it wouldn't have gotten the ax. It's as simple as that. Do you think that MGM would have cancelled it if the ratings were high? (And according to Joe Mallozzi it was MGM's decision.)

April 09 2009 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Laughable.

The way RDA looks now (sorry but "chubby" is an understatement) it fits in a really bad way.

Universe will bomb badly and MGM will find out soon enough what a bad decision it was to axe Atlantis because another season would've meant upping the actors' salaries.

April 09 2009 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to StillBash's comment
Alicia R.

hate to break the news to you, but if loads of people were still watching SGA, it wouldn't have gotten cancelled.

Did you actually think that SGA was going to run 10 years like SG1?

April 09 2009 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han Solo

And right after this show "syfly" will start showing 4 hours of CSI, bring back the Man Show, and have a Mr.ED marathon.

April 09 2009 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Too bad RDA couldn't have appeared more on SG-1 or Atlantis... Universe is a waste.

April 09 2009 at 12:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

What I enjoy the most about Science Fiction shows is the diversity of styles. Or to quote Spock (Star Trek) IDIC - Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. Richard Dean Anderson was a delight in SG1, and I'm looking forward to his appearances in SGU. Also, with the appearances of Michael Shanks and Gary Jones, the appearances of previous SGC personnel in SGU ties SGU to the continuing stories of both SG1 and (hopefully for SGA) in their made-for-DVD movies (SG1's third movie has been greenlit by MGM).

April 08 2009 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
serenitycat45

I just get the feeling that they are worried that their new show will not attract former Stargate viewers in enough numbers to be a success.
So they are trying to rope those people in by casting favorites from SG1. Doesn't do anything for me, I won't be watching, although I will admit that if one or two of the Atlantis actors were cast, I'd tune in for that ep. Just to see them.

April 08 2009 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
norwegianne

I don't know... I think that the best part of SG-1 is the humor, so a show without that... doesn't sound too convincing.

April 08 2009 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Part of what made SG-1 such a great show was the humor Richard Dean Anderson brought to the character of Jack O'Neill, but I don't think I would call it "goofiness." I also hope SGU doesn't lose all that humor in a bid to be the new Battlestar Galactica. What worked exceptionally well for one series does not necessarily transfer to another.

That being said, I find myself looking forward to SGU. What I've seen of the trailers leaves me intrigued and interested. They certainly have one heck of a cast. My only hope is that the writers can write for them. One of the things that made Atlantis less successful than SG-1 was the cast changes. Especially as pertains to the Weir character. SGU will have cast full of strong actors; I hope the writers can develop them.

April 08 2009 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply