November 25, 2014

Postal Service unveils new Simpsons stamps

by Danny Gallagher, posted Apr 9th 2009 5:33PM
The new Simpsons stamps
I can vividly remember a time when The Simpsons was the hot new show that every parent had to keep away from their kids or Child Protective Services would show up and take them away. So every time I see the newest thing that The Simpsons are on this week, I can feel myself aging.

I love The Simpsons. It has been my all time favorite show as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end, amen. So I have to have the coolest Simpsons stuff. But every time I see Bart on a TV shirt, I can feel my hair turning gray and thinner.

When the Krusty-O's boxes popped up in 7-Eleven stores during the release of The Simpsons Movie, my knees felt a little weaker and my spine started curving. The first time I saw the Homer Simpson "Duff" clock that hangs in my kitchen, it gave me osteoporosis with its constant, hilarious and doubly ironic reminder of my own mortality.

Now the United States Postal Service has put The Simpsons on stamps. I just pooped my pants in joy. I hope that was joy.

The USPS unveiled the stamps earlier this morning and are letting the nation's tongues vote on which Simpson they would most like to lick. Personally, I'd go for Marge. As for the stamps...(thanks folks, try the veal, I'll be here all week!)

The site also features a contest where one lucky customer can win an autographed poster signed by series creator Matt Groening, and a store features books of the new stamps and framed prints of the new designs. Neither of those sections appear to be working at the moment (2:30 a.m. Thursday, central time), but since the Postal Service is behind the new site, it will probably be ready sometime later in the summer.

KJS

Yeah, the Homer stamp looks absolutely horrible. I can live with the Marge and Maggie ones, but Homer looks really bad.

May 11 2009 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Waste of money

What a waste of time and money to create Simpsons Stamps. They are foul and shows such lack of respect for a family. Shame on the Postal Stamp committee for creating and honoring such a horrible piece of trash on TV.

April 28 2009 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

And no one will be licking these--the post office only releases self-adhesive stamps these days. And for like, the last 5 years or more. When was the last time you used a stamp?

April 09 2009 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

The rest are fine (although Maggie is a little mean-looking), but Homer is the worst "official" drawing I've ever seen. What was Groening on when he drew that? Was his hand injured? Seriously, what was he thinking?

April 09 2009 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
RobynM

Well, Maggie did shoot Mr. Burns and has been known to threaten the odd rioter or two with a broken baby bottle, so the "don't mess with me" face works.

Homer is looking a bit "Life in Hell"ish, though.

April 09 2009 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Those look terrible! Are they knock-offs?

April 09 2009 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eppyjerk

Why does Homer (and Marge a little) look weird?

April 09 2009 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply