September 23, 2014

Streisand concert to premiere on CBS - VIDEO

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 9th 2009 7:00PM
Barbra Live logoYou know that old commercial, "When E.F. Hutton talks, people listen." Well, when Barbra Streisand sings, people listen. People also spend a lot of money on tickets, but as one of one those people who's charged for a few of those concert experiences, I have to tell you that she's worth it.

And what's so great for us now is that her most recent tour, Streisand: Live in Concert, is coming out on DVD and before that, CBS is going to broadcast Streisand as a special on Saturday 25, 8 PM. And on a really, really personal level, I'm very psyched because I was at the Fort Lauderdale concert that they filmed for the special, so look for me in the crowd of 15,000.

Streisand specials on CBS have always been a winning combination. In fact, back in 1964, there was a bidding war between the networks for Streisand's TV fare, whether that turned out to be specials or a variety show or a sitcom -- she wasn't yet a movie star and a lot of experts thought she'd never be one. CBS outbid NBC, giving Streisand $5 million for a ten-year exclusive contract. That turned out to be five TV specials which won over a dozen Emmys and a Peabody award. Here's a sample from her first award-winning music special, My Name Is Barbra:

Fortunately, Streisand still sounds like that! Unlike so many singers who croak their way into retirement, Barbra is still a great voice. Like I said, I was in the audience for this CBS special. She was very natural, sounded great -- with a full 60-piece orchestra behind her -- and the show was terrific, very funny and spontaneous, including a lot of interaction with the crowd.

Only the appearance of Il Divo, four tenors who sing pop-opera music and were there to back-up Barbra on a couple of songs, was a little stilted. How ironic that Il Divo is Simon Cowell's creation. He'd bounce them off American Idol in a heartbeat, but they are apparently quite popular around the world.

But the main focus of the CBS special is Streisand. This may be the last chance to catch her live in concert, although as with most divas -- Cher, Bette, Tina, Diana -- never say never.

Joe Chesal

Too bad Allison's Waldman's comments are so stilted and narrow regarding Il Divo and their concert with Barbra Streisand. I saw the same show in Montreal in 2006 and together they were electric and awesome. Il Divo is known and respected around the world and they sing beautifully, whether alone or with Babs. (Thanks to Simon Cowell for putting these guys together.) Barbra Streisand does not need anyone on the stage with her....she is a class unto herself, but she obviously chose Il Divo for a reason...and that was to showcase her voice and those of these four great talents. She is THE QUEEN and they are the four princes, with her. Too bad Allison is so narrow-minded....the Europeans and Canadians accept them as just Fantastic, whether alone or together. Get with it, Allison, you need some open-minded surgery or therapy to let the juices flow ! Barbra Streisand does NOT mistakes, but you did !
Cheers ! Joe

April 21 2009 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Etuki

Great article Allison! I hope you managed to draw many people's attention to this programme and to this wonderful DVD. Streisand should be prescribed as a medicine, she makes our lives bright and sunny!:)

April 13 2009 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mickey Mouse

I attended this concert as well and I cannot wait for the DVD to be released. It's Barbralicous!

April 11 2009 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mickey Mouse's comment
GoodEgg972

It's about time this concert made it to TV. Thanks--and congratulations--to CBS for airing it. My wife has promised to be out of the house on the evening it airs, which means I'll get to have a date with Barbra all to myself. My palms are already sweaty.

April 14 2009 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

Barbra Rules!!!!!!!!

April 11 2009 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robin Lipman

Great article as always Allison! I am sooooo looking forward to reliving this concert! Having been in the audience at her Ft. Lauderdale concert as well as 9 additional U.S. cities on her tour, and 7 of her 2007 European concerts, seeing Barbra live has been the greatest experiences of my life! I would give my last penny in the world to see her ANYWHERE in the world!
There never has been, and never will be ANYONE as AMAZING as Barbra!

April 11 2009 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LG

Thank you so much for the reminder about the CBS special. I'm not worry about the time slot, Barbra is a rating magnet no matter what night she's on, her millions of fans will be watching (or taping).
I'll make sure to tell my folks. My mother LOVES Il Divo.
I like them too. I think they gives a new richness to "Somewhere" and I think the banter with them after Evergreen is quite cute and funny.

April 10 2009 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heck

Streisand will always be the Greatest Star. Thanks for the article. Looking forward to the special.--Heck

April 10 2009 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina

I couldn't agree more with the article. Barbra still sounds fantastic and as for the price of a ticket- she's worth it! I hope everyone takes advantage of seeing the TV special and owning the DVD's- and they don't even have to buy a ticket! I saw her in Chicago for the '06 concerts and will never forget it. I'm so glad to finally have the concert dvd as a personal souvenir. Too bad the time slot is not the best. Anyone who gets a chance to see the tv special will be amazed! No one compares to Barbra!

April 10 2009 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mazz

Thank you TV Squad for informing us of this EVENT! Great article. Can't wait to see this long overdo special on CBS!

April 10 2009 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ROGER

STREISAND IS AN AMERICAN TREASURE. LIKE SINATRA AND ELVIS, SHE IS AND WILL FOREVER REMAIN A TIMELESS STANDARD BY WHICH ALL OTHER SINGERS ARE MEASURED.

April 10 2009 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply