April 20, 2014

Aaron Sorkin returning to TV?

by Brad Trechak, posted Apr 10th 2009 11:07AM
Studio 60 on the Sunset StripAccording to PopWatch, Aaron Sorkin might be returning to television. And for the third time, it might be a television-show-within-a-television-show (his first two in this vein were Sports Night and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip). This time, the fictional world would be a cable news program such as the one hosted by Keith Olbermann on MSNBC.

His last show utilizing this concept, Studio 60, didn't fare so well and was cancelled after a single season. However, this program concept would also incorporate the discussion of politics, which Sorkin excels at, as proven in The West Wing. We may have a winner here.

Sorkin is certainly a multi-talented writer. He's written movies and plays as well as television. I believe he can make this sort of program work. I even confess to liking an earlier incarnation of this concept, Al Franken's Lateline.

So what do you think? Do you welcome a return by Sorkin to television or is his reputation overblown?

Mike B.

A Few Good Men was great, The American President was fantastic and The West Wing was exceptional. If Sorkin comes up with something like these, everyone will watch. I wish there was a way to bring The West Wing back. Very good programming.

June 13 2009 at 6:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Doremus

I still miss The West Wing. The best TV show since MASH.

June 03 2009 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

Yea, no reason to watch and help its ratings...which in turn help decide if will get renewed.

I liked studio 60... i remember I laughed at this one part so hard but my wife didn't get the joke. It baecame a "me" show. It was the 1st show I watched after she went to bed.

We both liked Sports night though.

April 12 2009 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon B. Knutson

As much as I love Aaron Sorkin's stuff, I'm tired of being burned when it comes to new shows... I'll wait for it to be on a full season and renewed before I decide to start watching. No sense getting hooked on a new series so it can get cancelled after one season, after all.

April 11 2009 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
itsy

Richard Lawler, YOU NEVER SAW THE WEST WING????

I envy you, all those hours of great tv yet to be seen.

Watch it. You'll be glad.

April 11 2009 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

A Keith Olbermann-esque show? I think Sorkin may have hit on the most ideal place to showcase his bombastic, overwritten and brilliant dialogue.

April 10 2009 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emme

If he writes it, I'll watch it. I even went to the Farnsworth Invention standing room.

April 10 2009 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sophicmuse

Funnily enough, when I was watching Studio 60 bomb, I kept thinking that this kind of show would be perfect for him.

I loved The West Wing, I'm studying to become a political journalist, and my tolerance for liberal preachiness is pretty high, so, yeah, I'd definitely watch.

April 10 2009 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C D Henderson

Aaron Sorkin is, without exception, the best writer in the history of Television. West Wing is my all time favorite show. I now own all the DVDs. So YES, please Mr Sorkin, come back! And no, he does not have to be on HBO or Showtime. I'm an educated, bright person who does not chose to pay for the ton of junk on most cable channels. I only purchase basic cable, watch a lot of PBS, C-span, and selected quality broadcast shows. Most of which get cancelled i.e. Pushing Daises.

April 10 2009 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pierre-Luc Allie

I hope it's a sports night spin-off with Dan Rydell as the main character.

April 10 2009 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply