December 19, 2014

Survivor: The Dragon Slayer

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Apr 10th 2009 1:07AM
Erinn from Survivor Tocantins

(S18E08) I don't know. Is it just me or is this sexy librarian in a bikini look on Erinn from Survivor just a bit unsettling? There seems to be an evil gleam in her eyes, too. Maybe she's considering some Donner Party action and Coach will be her target? Sigh. Nah, it would never happen. Mr. Lord "Willie Nelson" Fauntleroy is just too darn skinny.

The promos promised us a merge tonight. This could get interesting with secret cross-tribe alliances. Will the Exile Island Allies take over the game? Or will the numbers in Timbira squash the weaker Jalapao tribe one by one? Read on.

Begone Coach ... please!
I have no idea why Jeff Probst seems to like this man. If he's annoying me as much as he is by just watching him on the show, the ones having to live with him deserve some sort of meritorious honors. The ego is unbelievable. Unfortunately, he reaped a ton of airtime tonight. Sure, encourage the Ego Man.
  • He apparently told Tyson he started the "Samurai thing." You know, the Japanese warrior discipline which started before the 1200s. Maybe he's a reincarnation.
  • After the merge, he befriended JT. That much is true.
  • But, when they were all forming new alliances and such, it was Stephen and JT who decided the vote had to be split in case Brendan saved himself with a hidden idol. Coach took all kinds of credit for his brilliant plan.
  • Coach truly believes that he rules the game.
  • He told everybody that he's a symphony conductor in addition to being a soccer coach. He flies back and forth between the two jobs. I'm surprised he didn't tell them he has a private jet!
  • He's decided he's "The Dragon Slayer" because Brendan is the dragon and he's going to send Brendan packing.
  • He's so vain he probably thinks Forza is about him. (The new tribe name means "strength" in Portuguese.)

Then there's Tyson
In many ways, Tyson's ego is just as bad as Coach's ego. But there are a few differences. Tyson's ego comes out in the confessional segments and he doesn't try to run the tribe. Sure, he's an exhibitionist and every now and then, he gives the tribe a glimpse of ego. However, he doesn't seem to rub folks the wrong way. He's also better in challenges. But my heart won't be broken if he gets the boot. I just want Coach out first.

I'm so confused!
Okay, the tribes tend to have their own tribal alliance going into the merge. That's a given. Then there's the Taj, Stephen, Brendan, and Sierra cross-tribe alliance from Exile Island. Then there's the Stephen, Taj, and JT alliance within Jalapao. Coach and Tyson don't like Brendan and Sierra. Coach has forgotten that he doesn't like Erinn. Erinn thinks Coach has changed and he's "Nice Coach" now. Erinn and Joe have their own Exile Island cross-tribe alliance.

Then the merge hit. All of a sudden, there's a Coach, Tyson, JT, and Stephen alliance gunning for Brendan. If they can't take out Brendan, they will do Sierra. Stephen is keeping Taj sort of in the loop. But she's not in the alliance. Taj is concerned that her alliance with Brendan and Sierra is a bust. Meanwhile, Brendan wants JT out before he gets going with Taj and the alliance. Since he hasn't bothered to tell her, she has no clue and is willing to turn on him.

The best-laid plans of mice and men
In the end, it didn't even matter at all. Tyson won immunity. That didn't matter either. What mattered was that Joe's leg developed a nasty infection. He was sent out of the game by the medics. There was no Tribal Council and the only one gone is Joe. He didn't want to go, but that thing looked way nasty to me!

Best line of the night
"I get excited whenever I hear anything that starts with an 'F'" -- Taj excited about feast and food. Hey, what did you think?

Who do you think is the smartest player in the game? (Thinking ahead, interaction with others, etc.)
Erinn11 (2.4%)
Taj73 (16.0%)
Deborah16 (3.5%)
Coach15 (3.3%)
Tyson55 (12.1%)
Stephen142 (31.1%)
JT82 (18.0%)
Sierra14 (3.1%)
Brendan48 (10.5%)

Steff

PS: Dingus is a Polish holiday of sorts. Its celebrated the day after Easter. Men throw water on the women, while the women are whipping the men with pussy-willows. It's all great fun!

April 12 2009 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steff

Tyson got exactly what he was promised, he didn't get voted out, this time. To bad so sad there was no actual TC. The man is just creepy to me, the way he talked about kissing Brendan's neck and his hot breathe on the small of his back, then asking any woman that likes him to give him their phone # just creeped me out more. Ewww ewwww ewwwww.
Ben, I refuse to call him that "C" word, is by far the biggest tool in Survivor history. I wonder if he spends all his time down by the water looking at his reflection?
Next week should be fun fun fun.
As far as the show getting old, I disagree. It really is about the casting, some seasons rock, some don't, but they are all exciting to me.

April 12 2009 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tired_

What happens with the guy who won immunity? Does he just get stiffed, or will he be immune next week? I'd be pretty choked if I hung onto that pole for all that time and got nothing for it.

April 11 2009 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mirc

I think the show is fun to watch. My head was spinning with all the alliances last night, I wished I had a flow chart. Taj was freaking about neither Brendan nor Sierra
saying anything to her and Stephen. Why didn't she approach one of them? She's the one that cooked up the plan in the first place.

April 11 2009 at 7:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mirc

thanksmircadmin

April 11 2009 at 7:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Steven is acting so nervous -- as if he committed or is planning on committing murder!

April 10 2009 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Francisco

Someone please tell those guys at CBS that "strenght" in portuguese is written with a "ç" and not a "z". "Forza" is spanish. "Força" is portuguese. I'm portuguese and love the show, by the way ;)

April 10 2009 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Francisco's comment
Philip

I was hoping someone would point this out! You don't even need to be Portuguese to know this - you just have to remember that Nelly Furtado song from a few years ago!

April 14 2009 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I still love Survivor, too, and also hope that it will run on for years to come. This show and Amazing Race are the elite of the reality genre. It is the different people every season that keeps it fresh.

It looks like Brendan and Taj finally talk to each other next week, but Stephan is making me nervous because he's all over the place with alliance plans. Just hoping that Coach and Tyson get their butts kicked out of there soon.

April 10 2009 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slutty_whore

What worries me at this point is that someone like Deborah, who has done nothing, will win this game after all the alliances destroy one another.

April 10 2009 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wes

Survivor still remains a family ritual for us. Regardless of it's repetitive format, it's the assorted group of characters that keep our interest. Our kids have learned some interesting things about personalities and trust while watching this show over the years. KEEP 'EM COMING!

April 10 2009 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply