October 22, 2014

TNT pulls the plug on Trust Me

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 10th 2009 9:38PM
Trust Me duo
On paper, Trust Me looked like a sure fire hit. I tuned in week after week to watch the show, so I consider myself a loyal viewer, but I have to be honest. The show never took off. Bob got it right in his early look, Trust Me had all the elements for something special, but it just never jelled. TNT has cancelled Trust Me after one season.

The guy in charge of TNT programming, Michael Wright, implied that a drama set in the advertising business was just a little too inaccessible for viewers. And that was the issue; not enough Nielsen numbers.

Even for cable, Trust Me was only scrounging up about 1.4 million viewers each episode. It didn't capitalize on having The Closer as a lead-in for part of the season, and when all was said and done, TNT decide to call it a day.

This isn't much of a surprise. Less than a month ago, Mike wrote about Eric McCormack's new ABC pilot. That was kind of the death knell for Trust Me.

It's too bad that Trust Me never took hold. Like I said, it had a great cast and a premise for a show that I was definitely interested in. Unfortunately, the excitement of the creative process which is key to the advertising business, was never captured.

Carole Hirth

What I meant to say was this show brought laughter and happiness to an otherwisw dreary day. It made me smile and laugh. sigh - another one bites the dust - just like my job - gone.

April 14 2009 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole Hirth

I loved this show and watched every episode twice intelligent shows are never given enough time to find their audience. Move them around from one day to another, change air time and the audience is lost. Why do idiotic "reality" shows survive and an intelligent show like Trust Me get the hook? Shame on you TNT! I thought what a great network L&O, Leverage and Trust Me three favorite shows - now you have broken my heart - for a few weeks I was happy. I lost my job great paying and fear foreclosure - this show brightened my otherwise day and now this show is taken from me as well. One more indication of what is to come. Maybe I should join the dead tv show pile. Since I can't stand reality shows there is not much left for me. Starter Wife gone, Swingtown gone,Trust Me gone. What isleft?

April 14 2009 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

I watched every episode of this show, and I really wanted it to be good. The premise was interesting and the acting good, but I too found Conner to be too annoying. It was always implied that Conner was so good at his job that he could get away with being a huge pain in the ass,and I dont doubt that a lot of that kind of thinking does go on in workplaces filled with "creative" type people. However, it is anything but entertaining to watch. I had hoped that as the show progressed, they would tone down Conners character so that he would be tolerable to watch, but it didnt happen. Its a shame, cause this had the potential of being a good show.

April 13 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon B. Knutson

I should've also mentioned it was the one show that I actually paid attention to the commercials during the program, to see how they tied in with the story itself -- something I don't actually do on every single other show I watch, because we DVR EVERYTHING!

April 11 2009 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon B. Knutson

Well, I have to say that, while inevitable, it's disappointing... I really hate starting to watch any new show any more from the first season because this can happen (I'm losing track of the new shows from the past two years that I really enjoyed but weren't renewed)... that's why my wife and I waited until Burn Notice was gearing up for its second season to start watching it!

Oh, well, one less show to set the DVR for each week...

April 11 2009 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cantlivewithoutcable

I'm not surprised. I think Connor was just too annoying for most people to sit through.

The office intrigue was fine, the inside look at the advertising was interesting, and most other characters were fine. (Amy was irritating, for instance, but 'normal' irritating.) But I know I had to force myself to watch as Connor irritated the hell out of me, and I'm pretty generous when it comes to characters and character development.

I think if they'd just gotten some notes to tone him down, it might have worked. Shame, really.

April 11 2009 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I liked it too but not surprised as I imagine both leads command big salaries. I love advertising and of course Mad Men is the tour de force on that subject and Trust Me is no Mad Men, not even close. I really like Eric and Tom a lot but did anyone else think they didn't click together? They fought a lot and I think for a buddy comedy (sort of) they should have written them more yin and yang than they did - they were both yin or yang.

April 11 2009 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preach

Bummer, i liked it. Even if it was not the best thing since the invention of sliced bread, it still was a breath of fresh air, among all these crime procedurals...

April 11 2009 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gaz

Sorry, it should be "dialogue" and "we're".

April 11 2009 at 7:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gaz

I think it's a shame. I really liked the show. The cast was great and the dialogs much better than most things on tv. Now were's stuck with more procedurals and more Reality and a faint hope that Kings will survive. Damn.

April 11 2009 at 7:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply