October 30, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Zac Efron/Yeah Yeah Yeahs - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Apr 12th 2009 12:35PM
SNL Zac Efron
(S34E21) When it came to everything unrelated to jazz hands, my expectations for Zac Efron were pretty low. Then again, there was part of me that kept thinking back to Justin Timberlake's first time hosting; he was just another song-and-dance good guy but the enthusiasm and craziness he brought to his performances blew everyone away. Okay, so Efron didn't do as well as Timberlake, but as the evening progressed, Efron seemed to get a little more comfortable and delivered a not-too-cingeworthy performance. Consider that a massive victory.

Here are some video highlights from the evening.

Cold Open (Joe Biden and Barack Obama): I'm really loving Jason Sudeikis's over-excited take on Joe Biden. The dynamic between his Biden and Fred Armisen's Barack Obama is coming along nicely, though I kind of wish they'd give Obama a little bit more character. He's cool. And that's about it.

Monologue: Oh, Efron. Unnecessary slide. The 'tween angle of this monologue was almost inevitable, though I must applaud him and the writers for not instantly making it a full-on musical number. Efron started working in that grating Disney Channel inflection (if you watch enough kids' telelvision, you'll notice it; it's a very campy sort of "This is the punchline!" tone), which made me nervous for the rest of the episode. Thankfully, he dropped it after a few sketches. Also, I managed to age myself about forty years for half-mumbling, "My God, get a haircut" when Efron brushed some strands out of his face. In other news, I hate kids on my lawn.

Gilly: Wow, she's back. As much as I adore Kristen Wiig, I'm not a big fan of Gilly. Maybe it just depends on the host, since they're the only part mixing up the formula.

"Cool Bar": This was all right; the best part was probably that little toddler at the very end. Those gerbils (opposite of cougars) must have been ready to pass out, breathing the same air as Zac Efron.

Weekend Update: A pretty good Update this week. Fred Armisen and Bill Hader's gay couple from New Jersey returned, delivering this gem:

Couple: We were just agreeing that we like you a lot better without your beard.
Seth: I never had a beard.
Couple: We meant Amy Poehler.

Will Forte and Jason Sudeikis's Jon Bovi band also came back. The combination of Forte's super-happy smile and mesh tank top makes me nervous. Finally, Michaela Watkins came back as the "Bitch, please!" blogger. I'm pretty sure she's the only person that could pull off that character. Also, I couldn't help but admire that beautiful iced coffee spill. I probably would have accidentally let it topple all over Seth Meyers.

"High School Musical 4": This was my favorite sketch of the night. Efron's delivery was pretty much perfect, a welcome change from some of his more forced delivery in the earlier in the evening.

Foot Massage: No video for this. I just wanted to mention how gross it was. It was gross. There. Bravo, Zac Efron. You are far braver than I.

MAKB

I also hate to admit it but I find the 'Gilly' sketches to be a scream. My husband and I find ourselves saying the 'Gillyyyyy' line just like Will Forte whenever our 4-year old does something naughty. It's stupid fun.

May 06 2009 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr. Bungle

I know I am the only one, but I love Gilly. The face that Kristen Wiig makes makes me laugh every time. I am probably biased though because my wife does a pretty spot on Gilly and it cracks me up.

April 13 2009 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
airtoast

yaksplat - I couldn't agree more. I wish they would try to pick bands that most people would actually want to hear instead of trying to force their version of the "newest, hippest, upcoming" on everyone. Here's hoping that Green Day gets to stop by when their new album releases next month.

Annie Wu's "My God, get a haircut" comment - Yes, I think this is one hairstyle the 00's will be remembered for. In just a few short years people will be looking back on it and laughing - for good reason.

Bitch, please! segment - Wow, this character continues to be unbelievably unfunny. Snarky, two-sentence movie sarcasm capped off with a "Bitch, please." Repeat ad nauseum.

Lorne Michaels - It is always entertaining to observe the unconditional love that he, the cast, and the writers hold for President Obama that is woven throughout the show each week.

April 13 2009 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deburger

yaksplat...

you're an idiot

April 13 2009 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yaksplat

What's up with all these lame ass bands lately. I can't remember the last time I saw a decent band on SNL.

April 13 2009 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

total crap i hate that gilly girl, and the morning america crap has the same dynamic no punchlines just weird faces.
the underage bar was cool and the pizza roll commercial was good.

i liked updated everything else i just fast forwarded and watch the last 20 minutes of terminator SCC again...

zach what the eff is wrong with you... good line

April 12 2009 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

and you forgot the Tostitos Commerical with Zac, Fred, andy and Jason in it. That was sooo random haha. I loved how Fred continually got gradually more crazy saying "I AM YOUR MOTHER!!!" and slapping zac in the face haha.

April 12 2009 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rebecca's comment
Rebecca

I meant pizza rolls commerical.

April 12 2009 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

I didn't think it was going to good at all but they gave him some really good material.

April 12 2009 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I thought Zac was pretty solid -- in spite of the material.

April 12 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

I'm probably the only one on earth who thinks this, but Michaela Watkins' "Bitch Please" character? Totally hot.

April 12 2009 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply