April 15, 2014

Reaper's season two rushing to DVD

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 13th 2009 9:30AM
Reaper The CWThey're really rushing this one out. Reaper's season two will hit DVD June 9 -- only two weeks after the season ends on The CW!

The DVD was originally set for an even earlier release, June 2, but the studio pushed it back a week for reasons unknown.

I'm really looking forward to this set. Reaper is one of those amazing but little-watched shows I can't seem to shut up about. I strongly encourage fans to pick this set up in June.

Like all good genre shows these days, Reaper will probably be "on the bubble" as the season winds down. The show's executive producers are reportedly leaving, and the fate of the show is hanging in the air. Good DVD sales might help Reaper get renewed for a third season. (Well, it couldn't hurt.)

Click through to see Sam and crew gettin' all Drunken Master on the DVD cover box.

Reaper Season Two DVD Cover

Now that's awesome.

Ray

I am really surprised that even with the popularity Reaper had at the time that it still didn't get renewed. When Reaper was on it had some stiff competition and they still had decent ratings. At least I found out from working for Dish Network that all the Reaper episodes from both seasons are on DishOnline.com so I can stream them for free to my computer.

April 18 2011 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

I'm guessing that they are using the pre-orders on Season 2 as a gauge of the potential future season DVD sales. If people really support this show, they should pre-order the Season 2 -- those sales are a HUGE factor to the studios -- it's primarily how they get their money back, especially when a show doesn't have enough episodes to syndicate.

April 14 2009 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ricky19

i wish that shows would do this more often, work on the commentary and extras after your done filming and its showing and release in within a month so i can have me some shows.

April 13 2009 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ReaperDMV

Unfortunately, by the time the S2 DVDs come out, the decision on Reaper's fate will already be made. And I can't say they're rushing, since I think the same time has elapsed since the end of filming as when the S1 DVDs came out. It has nothing to do with the creators leaving, since that was only announced last week, and the DVD release news has been out for months.

To reiterate though, if we want Reaper to stay, we need to let the CW know. The CW will never know how we feel if we never tell them.

SAVE REAPER:

PETITION:

April 13 2009 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ReaperDMV

Unfortunately, by the time the S2 DVDs come out, the decision on Reaper's fate will already be made. And I can't say they're rushing, since I think the same time has elapsed since the end of filming as when the S1 DVDs came out. It has nothing to do with Butters and Fazekas leaving, since the original DVD news was released months ago, and the other news only last week.

To reiterate, the CW will never know how we feel if we never tell them. So if you want the show to stay, it's best to let them know.

SAVE REAPER: http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/reaper-tv-show-support/

PETITION:

April 13 2009 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

will S1 and S2 be released on Blu-Ray?

April 13 2009 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

I love the show, but this season would have been better if it had been written by two drunken monkeys rather than the current staff.

Half ass. Character motives seem to change about as frequently as Vanessa Williams' costumes on Ugly Betty. There's a thought -- like CSI and Two And A Half Men, have the writers of Ugly Betty and Reaper switch places.

Reaper is a decent concept, and the actors are very good, but the writing quality is the thing that seems to sway from good to boring from one episode to the next.

As to the sped up DVD release date: I'll bet that has something to do with the date the exec producers leave, thus leaving any creative responsibilities behind -- prolly a few extra ducats if you are responsible for the production of the DVD before you hit the door....

April 13 2009 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply