November 26, 2014

24: 1:00AM - 2:00AM

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 14th 2009 8:03AM

Elisha Cuthbert as Kim Bauer on '24.'
(S07E18) "Kim, I'm dying." - Jack

That, my friends, is what you call a game changer. Initially, I wasn't feeling the vibe of this episode. It was slow, predictable, and the Kim/Jack reunion that we've known about for ages was about as anti-climactic as you can get. But it worked. Kim's return created precisely the distraction we needed so that hour eighteen's final minutes made our jaws drops. When I spoke with Carlos Bernard recently, he said that production was shut down for over a month at one point to reassess the direction of one episode. I'm guessing this was it.

OK, let's get the return of the prodigal daughter out of the way first. Don't get me wrong - the reunion was heartbreaking. Any scene where Jack breaks down and cries usually is. I was just hoping for more. Turns out Kim was at the Senate hearing earlier in the day and had been trying to see him.

The fact that Jack is dying obviously softened the blow, but I was hoping for just a little anger. Maybe something along the lines of, "You were captured by the Chinese, held for 18 months, came home for one day, and then disappeared for three more years. WTF?!?" In Jack's defense, he and Kim didn't exactly part on good terms in season five. There was no mention of Barry either. Oh well. Despite Jack's demand that Kim not donate her stem cells for the CJD tests, I'm sure we'll see her once again by the end of the season with a syringe or two full of some family recipe antidote. But how much damage will have already been done to Jack's brain?

Anyway, that was all just one big distraction. The missiles were destroyed, Hodges was arrested, and all seemed right with the world ... except that there are still six hours left. It was clear that Hodges' stand-off couldn't go on any longer and I think the writers were wise to end it now. However, the logical next step wasn't exactly clear and now that we know where they're going, it poses a ton of questions.

Tony killed Moss and with the help of a Starkwood employee, has stolen the last remaining canister of the bio-weapon. It feels an awful lot like the final hours of season three as Jack and Chase tracked down the last of Saunders' devices, but the stakes are obviously much higher this time. Especially since Tony killed kill Larry to cover his tracks.

So what are the possibilities?

• Well, the big thing to take away from all this is that Tony has had a guy (the creepy black dude ... not sure if we got a name) inside of Starkwood the whole time. How deep was Tony's knowledge of what was going on? He clearly had more up his sleeve that he let one.
  • So was he just using Buchanan and Chloe earlier in the day?
  • Is he working for Starkwood and this is what Jonas meant when he said to Allison, "You'll find out?"
  • Or has this been Tony's plan all along and this play originated with Emerson's crew?
  • Could this be Tony's backwards ass way of trying to get an antidote made for Jack? I'm guessing no on this one.

Regardless of the answer, at this point, one thing is clear - Tony has had some sort of ulterior motive the entire day and has used everyone (Jack, the FBI, Chloe, Bill, the President) to achieve his endgame. It's looking more and more like the arguments we all made early on in the season about Tony may actually hold some weight after all. He still has a pretty big problem with the US government - he's been used by them and lost Michelle as a result of it. What does he have to lose at this point? Hard to say, but I'll reserve judgment until we know what his plan is.

fast eddy

what seemed fishy to me is that Moss left his left side so unbelievably unprotected and exposed to let that dude shoot him in the first place. I hope Tony isn't a turncoat for two reasons: I've always liked the character more than anybody except for Jack and David Palmer, and his whole 'getting even' mentality would be so depressingly predictable At least with Nina we knew how evil she was before the end of the first season. And can somebody tell me why Chloe is MIA?

April 20 2009 at 1:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

WOW!!! didn't see the Tony thing coming at all. My husband & I kept saying that we didn't trust Larry at all, boy were we wrong. I liked the reunion between Jack and his daughter because it wasn't that sappy but just enough. You know she is going to be see with a syringe of stem cells to help Jack out, how else will we have next season? Well with Larry out of the picture Rene can become a new love interest for Jack, which would be a nice thing.

April 17 2009 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scottbroderson

Moss isn't dead. He and Tony concocted his death by suffocation to make it look real in front of the black dude who shot him. That's why he held off the black guy from shooting him again. And it looked good. Larry's going to wake up as soon as the black guy and Tony take off in the FBI car and they're going to track Tony with Larry's GPS in Larry's phone, which, of course, Almeida purposely took. Awesome, huh?
Otherwise, didn't see that coming. I was hoping for more Moss and Renee and Season 8.

April 15 2009 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to scottbroderson's comment
Tri

I am on the fence about Moss' death (i.e. dead or not), but here's some more food for thought: Tony was under arrest and didn't have a weapon, Moss' handgun was most likely out of ammo after that firefight. In other words, Tony had nothing but his hands to kill Moss with.

April 16 2009 at 3:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cress d

Great ep. but completely shocked by Tony. I was really getting to like Moss and had wondered if maybe he would be a new Bill Buchanan next season. And I was diggin having Tony back in the fold: Jack and Tony kickin ass again together, but NO! Oh well, it has great story potential for the rest of the season though.

April 15 2009 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

This whole Season has been absolutely braindead but compared to Season 6 it's smarter than a Fith Grader. I like watching the show again but I'm not suspending my disbelief for it - I'm absolutely and completely shutting my brain off and therefor I can't discuss here. Trying to "understand" all this BS the writers are coming up with just to fill 24 episodes...

It's not like watching a 45*24 minutes long action movie with twists and turns anymore like it was in the first four seasons. It's like watching Mannatees at work...

April 15 2009 at 8:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GotJacksBack

Larry had a vest and remember he blinked several times before it was over. I think it was a sign for tony to let up and he is only wounded and (hopefully) he still lives, we'll see ???? Damn, it keeps you guessing though....You gotta love it!!!!

April 15 2009 at 5:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

there has been some talk that larry is still alive -- which I hope is true. Any intel on that?

April 15 2009 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jake's comment
LC

It all seems to be based on the fact that the clock was not silent after his death. Significant deaths on 24 are usually accompanied by a silent clock.

IMO, I wouldn't put it past the writers to mix things up a bit to keep people guessing. I mean it doesn't say that a death MUST have a silent clock.

I believe he is dead.

April 15 2009 at 8:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samuel

Tony is evil. Did you all not see the promo where he told his partner to blow up FBI agents?

April 14 2009 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Samuel's comment
AgentRez

You're probably right, but previews are sometimes designed to be misleading. I'm holding out hope...

April 17 2009 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe

while i agree with most of you that larry not dead, but i wonder does anyone other then me is thinking that janeane garofalo's character ( forgot the name of her's character) act kind of funny like she is hiding something? also, since i think the ex-president logan and his wife ( jean smart) is suppose to make some appearance, i think it logan that hodges is working for and that tony is working undercover along with the wife to stop him, and what happen about africa's having all that stuff going on? are they still connected to doing something as well?

April 14 2009 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I believe there's going to be a rational explanation for Tony's bizarre actions. Everything's going to be tied back to the beginning of Season 5, when Tony and Michelle, then running their "security" business, were originally planning to meet with someone named "Rick Rosen" before they were interrupted by the news of David Palmer's assassination, and before they were greeted by a car bomb. Later, at CTU medical, Tony demanded to see Jack, saying he had something to tell him. What was it?

April 14 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply