August 2, 2014

Press Kits Unwrapped: My Boys, season three

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 14th 2009 6:03PM
Reid Scott, Jamie Kaler, Michael Bunin, and Jordana Spiro
Let's just get this out of the way: My Boys isn't a very good show. Calling it mediocre is even going too far. However, I can't be the only one that's watching it, because the TBS sitcom is already a few episodes into its third season. That's right - My Boys has actually been somewhat of a minor success for TBS, partially due to some wise scheduling. Save for the first half of season one, My Boys is always on during the spring and summer months when - surprise - there isn't much else to compete with. The show might not be great, but hey, new TV is better than no TV.

After season two's Italian villa wedding disaster "who kissed who?" cliffhanger, I had pretty much given up on the show. I mean c'mon, that was a bad finale. But then I got this press kit in the mail:

My Boys - season 3 press kit (1)
Needless to say, that was a few weeks ago and I'm only getting around to opening it up now. Not like the contents of the box were a surprise or anything. Everything packaged is pictured right on the front!

My Boys - season 3 press kit (2)
So the box had been sitting in my office for days now and after swearing I wouldn't watch this show again, I did. Wasn't planned. It was still scheduled on my DVR and just like that, two new episodes showed up. If you watch My Boys then you know why I finally caved and opened the box - moustaches. Good show, bad show, mediocre show - moustaches are funny. "Welcome Back, Kalla Fotter" and "Private Eyes" were actually pretty decent episodes. However, the press kit? Not so much. Some playing cards, mints, bottle opener, a tee-shirt that feels like it's made out of tissue paper, a Dating for Dummies novelty book, and a few episodes on DVD (which came separately from TBS, but I'm including in the picture above):

My Boys - season 3 press DVD
Too bad it was the two episodes I had already watched. Oh well, at least it came in some nice packaging that I can actually display on a shelf. Anything but one of those dusty eco-friendly cardboard DVD sleeves that sheds paper fibers all over the place.

There was one other item that caught my eye though:

My Boys - notepad and key-chain
See that next to the notepad? It's a pretty slick brushed metal Mercedes Benz key chain. The reasoning behind its inclusion in the press kit? Fake it until you make it. I like it. Of course, that got me wondering - My Boys must actually be doing much better than I thought if Mercedes Benz is one of the official sponsors. Then I flipped over that little white tag on the key-ring:

Neither TBS nor 'My Boys' are affiliated with, or endorsed by, Mercedes Benz in any way.
Hmm ... well, scratch that theory.

My Boys airs Tuesday nights on TBS at 10:30PM ET.

Toolman

May 18 2009 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mediocity crew

Get ok advice on life and tech not genus or geeks but we kinda know our stuff:)

May 05 2009 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

You should raffle off that press kit to people who'll actually appreciate it. Add me to the list of people who like the show.

April 15 2009 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xtinemichele

Why I watch "My Boys"? 2 words. Jim. Gaffigan. 'Nuff said.

April 15 2009 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oceancitygirl

I love My Boys. It's a great show. Everyone in my office watches it and we all discuss it the next day, so I know I'm not the only one watching it this season.

April 15 2009 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dina

Not a very good show??? What ?!?

I was relieved to see My Boys back for a new season, it is one of my favorites. There is definitely too long between seasons.

I can't get enough of PJ and the boys.

April 15 2009 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NYCGal

Uh Hey TBS! Forget TVSQUAD and send your press kits to those who will appreciate! Howsabout a fan kit?!?!

Anyway - My Boys is an EXCELLENT sitcom, funny, short and interesting characters. Just as fun as Big Bang, HIMYM, 30 Rock etc. . The female lead is a real lead, a real girl, and not just an excuse to hang designer duds on. She has real guy friends and any girl that hangs out with dudes, knows those are real dudes. The mustache growing competition was priceless!!! Their poker games and crowley's I just wanna hang with them all.

Keep it up TBS -- but uh can u have a longer season and shorter breaks between seasons puhlease?!?!?

April 15 2009 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amber

I enjoy the show a lot. It's funny but it's subtle. It doesn't go over the top with sight gags and absolutely ridiculous scenarios. There is no laugh track. The characters are all very complex. PJ is looking for love, but she's not desperate or shrill about her search. Andy is one of the few characters portrayed on TV who is aging and okay with it and not a curmudgeon.

April 15 2009 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I'm with Gwen, give me a female lead that has a brain, a real job, and knows how to have male friends. PJ rocks. This is pretty darned good television so I'm on board the My Boys train.

April 15 2009 at 7:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I'm with everyone else here. Big fan of "My Boys"

Sorry Jonathan,... looks like your in the minority.

Now get out of the way so we can watch more "My Boys"

April 15 2009 at 2:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply