October 31, 2014

What are the best TV shows of the 1980s?

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 14th 2009 5:01PM
Magnum, P.I.AOL has chosen the best TV shows of the 1980s, and it's not a bad list. But I'm sure everyone reading this will have their own thoughts.

Sure, there are shows that were my favorites I'd like to see on the list, but those would be personal choices. The only problem I have is where the shows place on the list. For example, is Fraggle Rock really a better show than Spenser: For Hire, Miami Vice, and Kate and Allie (even beyond the fact that it might be an odd show to compare to the other shows in the first place)? Is Facts of Life better than MacGyver?

Back to Spenser: For Hire. It's really great to see it on the list. A great show, but one I thought would be pushed off such a list by another series. It's also nice to see Magnum, P.I. and Scarecrow and Mrs. King on the list, though the inclusion of the latter might raise some eyebrows.

There is one show missing from the list and it probably should be included: Mystery Science Theater 3000. I know, it was more of a 90s show, airing from 1988 to 1999, but if they included Quantum Leap, which began in 1989 and ended in 1993, along with In The Heat of the Night, which ran from 1988 to 1994, then MST3K should probably get a mention too (and it didn't get a mention on the best of the 1990s list either).

What do you think are the best TV shows of the 1980s?

Will

"Cheers" is one of the most overrated shows ever in the history of television. I watched it several times during its heyday and never laughed once. Even after all these years it's still riding a wave of hype, which makes people put it at the top of lists like this. "The Golden Girls" was a million times funnier than "Cheers" would ever hope to be and they only ranked at #12. Deplorable.

April 15 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Surely Dallas should be listed. It lasted well over 10 seasons and was the most watched TV moment for quite a while. A fantastic drama, the likes of which we haven't seen since!

April 15 2009 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I am frustrated that the list did not appear to be readable to me but am inferring from replies here what made the list. All i can say is that i'm glad Hill Street Blues made it as it is in my view the most influential cop show of all time having paved the way for so much that followed in addition to being appointment television.

April 15 2009 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lisa's comment
Wintermute

It's that stupid format AOL insists on using. @@ I won't be reading the list either...

April 15 2009 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Raydeen

The Fall Guy & Buck Rogers does not get any better than that !!!!!

April 15 2009 at 1:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

V
Dyna$ty
Dallas
Falcon Crest

April 14 2009 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

Why is there no love for Growing Pains and Who's the Boss? Both great shows that deserved to be in that list. I really wished the studio's would release the rest of the seasons (only the subpar first seasons of both are released) on DVD. I re-watched Growing Pains and it still holds up. Am I the only one who loved both of these shows growing up? Sheesh.

April 14 2009 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

MacGyver should certainly be higher. That was the best show of all, in my opinion.

And my favorite comedy by far was Perfect Strangers (nothing could cheer me up faster than watching Balki and Larry). I didn't see it at all on the list, unless I missed it somewhere.

April 14 2009 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

Wow, no "Wonder Years", at all? Didn't even make the list? List is void.

April 14 2009 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

I liked St. Elsewhere a lot. Very ground breaking TV show in the 1980's

April 14 2009 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sahil

Quantum Leap pioneered Character driven SF in my opinion and for that, I'd say it's one of the best.

Plus it always felt more 80's than 90's :P