July 31, 2014

Would you like to see Brian Austin Green as The Green Lantern?

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 14th 2009 2:07PM
Terminator Brian Austin Green Green Lantern?Terminator's Brian Austin Green is hoping to land a primo gig in what could be the next big geek-friendly movie franchise.

Green is campaigning for the role of Hal Jordan, aka The Green Lantern, in the upcoming Green Lantern film. The actor told Comic Book Resources that he was inspired to campaign for the role after seeing a fan-made picture depicting him as the DC Comics hero.

Some people might not agree, but I think Green has become a pretty good actor post-90210. His comic performance was the only thing that made Freddie Prinze Jr's awful sitcom, Freddie, watchable, and he was pitch-perfect as Derek Reese on Terminator.

I'm not sure if he's right for Hal Jordan, but he's about the right age and he has the right look. Plus, I'd rather see him wear the ring than one of those Disney Channel moppets.

But actor campaigns for big parts like this don't always turn out so well (I think most of us remember Thomas Jane's bid for Johah Hex). So I doubt Green will get his shot at becoming Green Lantern, even though he seems to be saying all the right things about the character.

"Hal's always come across to me a bit like Iron Man in the sense that he ends up being a hero and fighting for good, but I think there is an internal war going on with him ... I think he's a guy who has a lot of demons and he's fighting them constantly. Having a past fighting and coming out of it, I think he's one of those guys that with as much power as he has, he doesn't necessarily always respect it. He's always sort of riding the line of what should and shouldn't be done," Green told CBR.

I especially liked his response to the rumors that Hal Jordan will be a twentysomething in the movie.

"... From what I've heard and the response so far from what most people have heard, they're planning on skewing younger with the character. I've heard somewhere in like the mid-twenties, which, being a Green Lantern fan, I don't necessarily agree with. I've always kind of felt that Hal Jordan needs to be a man. He needs to be somebody who lives a little and experienced a lot," he said.

Green said he's curious to find out if fans think he's right for Green Lantern. I think it could work, but I doubt it'll happen. What say you, fans? (Extra-bonus points for those who don't make a lame 90210 joke/reference.)

George

I think that The Closer's Corey Reynolds (Sgt. David Gabriel) should play Green Lantern. Yes, a black Hal Jordan. And Corey wants the part, although he says he'd rather be John Stewart, as he said in an interview with Newsarama.com:

If you were to ask Corey Reynolds,
he's having the time of his life.
Not even 30, he's worked his way from regional
theatre to Broadway and now to a key supporting
role in TNT's The Closer.
Of course, this begs one highly important
question for the actor who plays Sgt. David Gabriel.
Marvel or DC?
"I have my favorites on both sides, but my heart is with DC,"
he replies, "because DC has the Green Lantern.
Green Lantern is my favorite comic book hero."
That begs a second critical question.
So is your favorite Lantern? Hal? Guy? Kyle? Who?
"Now Hal Jordan is the ultimate Green Lantern,"
Reynolds admits, "but my favorite is John Stewart.
I believe that it really is about time for a black,
traditional, All-American hero and Stewart represents that.

April 15 2009 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Sign me up. I think Mr. Green would be a superb Hal Jordan. I'm an old school GL fan and even though there have been many other Green Lanterns, in my mind there's only one guy that can wear that ring and that's Hal Jordan. Brian has been excellent as Derek Reese on Terminator.

And slightly off topic here, did anyone else see that gigantic GL graphic novel endcap in the comic book store on Big Bang Theory this week? DC is definitely promoting this film already - and that's a good thing for all of us.

April 15 2009 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

So how much of a factor was his name in making this connection?

April 15 2009 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kip

BAG would be awesome in this role. He was awesome in SCC and he played the character much in the same way as Hal Jordan of age and experience would be. The character does not need to be a tween sensation to make this a hit in the role(see Lord of the Rings and Vigo). The question is which incarnation of that character will they use. A combo flashback story/current situation would be interesting and add a bit more to this though I guess that we will see the progression of the character into the role.

April 15 2009 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

God yes. Because of his turn on TSCC, I'm officially a forever fan of Brian Austin Green. I'll see anything he's in.

April 15 2009 at 5:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nabby

He's not chubby enough. Stick with Seth Rogen.

April 15 2009 at 2:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamus

I about vomited when i found out he would be on Terminator, but holy hell if I have not come to think he was probably the best damn actor on there. Damn good part. Whether it was good acting or writing, who knows, but he did a damn good part and he needs to be accepted for it.

Hal Jordan? Hell, I say why not. Would be a damn good choice if he can act it as well as Uncle Derrek. Go BAG Go.

April 14 2009 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chi Shannon

Definitely! His performance in TSCC is amazing and I'd love to see him in more sci fi stuff :)

April 14 2009 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J.

For a Green Lantern tv series I would say Yay. But for the film franchise, I can't see it. He's no box office draw. Strictly tv fare.

April 14 2009 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

His turn on TSCC has sold me.

April 14 2009 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply