American Idol: Top 7 Perform

by Kona Gallagher, posted Apr 15th 2009 12:16AM
Matt Giraud
Tonight's theme is songs from the movies, so we have Quentin Tarantino. Come on! That's pretty awesome in a completely inappropriate way. As my boyfriend said when I turned it on, "I wasn't going to watch this, but it's Quention Tarantino!" It may not seem as though he fits on this show, but as pop culture-obsessed as he is, it's only fitting that he'd be completely in love with this show (because you know he totally is).

This week is weird. Because the judges couldn't shut their mouths last week (and it wasn't just the girls, as Simon accused) and they went so over their time, only two judges are critiquing each contestant. What this means is that Simon won't be critiquing every contestant, which sucks, because come on. As much as I don't want to feed his ego any more, Simon's critique is the one that matters the most, because if you strip away his crap, he gives solid advice 9 out of 10 times -- which is at least 6 times more than any of the other judges. Real talk.

American Idol' Season 8 Results

April 8, 2009: Scott MacIntyre Is Eliminated
    "Anyone who thinks that Scott should still be there is incredibly out of touch with what AI is about. Scott is a great piano player, an OK singer, and a horrid guitar player. Compared with the other singers in the competition that are left, he was the one that needed to go. I thought he should have gone long ago."

-- jim

April 8, 2009: Scott MacIntyre Is Eliminated
    "Simon made a bad decision on this one. Scott definitely has the talent and his career will go into high gear. He is an inspiration to many. Best wishes, Scott."

-- Linda Williamson

April 8, 2009: Scott MacIntyre Is Eliminated
    "Well, looks like it's the Simon Cowell Show! Scott was one of the best performers of the season and definitely worth the save. They won't use the save though until Simon Says: "Save my favorite!" It truly is Judges Idol and not American Idol!"

-- Bill

April 8, 2009: Scott MacIntyre Is Eliminated
    "It was time for Scott to go -- he was good but there are WAY more talented singers left in the competition. He did fantastic up until this point and I have the utmost respect for all he has achieved musically (I will kill to be able to play chopsticks on the piano) ...."

-- Heidi

April 8, 2009: Scott MacIntyre Is Eliminated
    "This is a very talented group of singers that I have seen for some years. Someone has to be voted off sad to say. However, Scott will have a great future. But he wasn't the best available to be crowned American Idol."

-- Sue

April 1, 2009: Megan Joy Corkrey Is Eliminated
    "So glad she is gone. She was awful. Cannot dance or sing."

-- Lisa Maras

April 1, 2009: Megan Joy Corkrey Is Eliminated
    "I will kind of miss Megan and seeing what she will do next ... but it was her time to go. Rooting for Kris all the way!!!"

-- CathyMc

April 1, 2009: Megan Joy Corkrey Is Eliminated
    "Scott has got to go!!! He is very talented and will have a great career ahead but he is just ... too corny for 'American Idol.' Megan is so unique and real. I just love her"

-- Terri

April 1, 2009: Megan Joy Corkrey Is Eliminated
    "I just knew Megan was going to get voted off because of the song she chose to sing Tues. night. I really liked her because her voice is very odd and I liked it! The whole family voted for you girl, oh well, you made it anyways! Good luck to you!!"

-- harleygirl_lisa49

April 1, 2009: Megan Joy Corkrey Is Eliminated
    "OMG Megan needed to go home a long time ago!!!! She's not for 'American Idol,' she needs to be doing Broadway."

-- patricia

Allison Iraheta "Don't Want To Miss a Thing," from Armageddon
This started out really well, and then because of the arrangement or something, got dicey in the middle. She quickly recovered, however, and finished strong. Allison's great, because of her age, she can be molded. She has a ton of raw talent, and all she needs is the polish. Some good producers and a real stylist, and she's good to go. Paula says that she has the same "special sauce" as Adam, which sounds horrifying, and Simon says she's the "girls' only hope left in this competition."

Anoop Desai "(Everything I do) I do it For You," from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Come on, Anoop. You know I love you, and I defend you every week, but this song sucks. It's one of the cheesiest songs ever made, and it's impossible to not think "tacky wedding" when listening to it. Quentin Tarantino's advice to "roughen it up" is good -- but Anoop doesn't take it. So what we end up with is a technically proficient and horribly boring song. Randy, however, tells him that he did a really good job, and Kara says that he found his place. I just really, really hate this song.

Adam Lambert "Born To Be Wild," from Easy Rider
This is another song that's done to death, so I'm not looking forward to it. Aside from the fact that I would really like for him to stop pointing his junk at me, he actually makes this song, which I have heard fifty bajillion times, sound new. As much as he still isn't my cup of tea, I will say this: when he is on stage, it's easy to forget that we're watching American Idol and not The Adam Lambert Show. Paula tells him that he's one of the bravest contestants ever. Simon says that it was vocally incredible, but it was a bit like watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Matt Giraud "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman," from Don Juan DeMarco
Man, what is up with all the Bryan Adams tonight? These people are depressing me. This starts off well, but kind of loses it at the end. Once again, I also hate this song. It's boring, but he gets the job done. Unfortunately, people won't remember this performance at all. Randy tells him that he made the song too complicated, while Kara says that he showed his vocal chops, but that he took away from the basic melody of the song.

Danny Gokey "Endless Love," from Endless Love
Okay, I must be confused. I thought it was "movie song" night, but apparently it's "crappy wedding song" night instead. I must have my dates messed up. From what I gathered, Danny did a very nice job singing this song, but I fell asleep at least three times throughout, so I can't be sure. Paula calls him unique and unforgettable, while Simon is disappointed in the fact that it was such a traditional version of the song.

Kris Allen "Falling Slowly," from Once
Finally, something original! I haven't seen Once, so I'm actually not familiar with this song, and it's completely new to me. Kris, who is my favorite in the competition, does a great job with this song, but it does seem slightly too maudlin for him. It was really nice, but not my favorite performance. Randy seems to agree with me, saying "it never quite caught on" for him. Kara, however, thought it was one of his "best moments ever."

Lil Rounds "The Rose," from The Rose
Lil Rounds needed to kill it tonight. She hasn't turned in a decent performance in weeks, and this could very well be her last one if she doesn't switch things up. Luckily for her, she gives one of the best performances of the night. She starts off with a traditional version of the song and then goes gospel halfway through. It's interesting, well-sung, and one of my favorite performances of hers ever. Paula says a lot of incoherent nonsense, but ends it with, "congratulations." Simon says the song is too soft and too middle of the road. It's really surprising. Lil stands up for herself, though, and for once, I disagree with Simon completely.

Overall, this week was really disappointing for me. Instead of watching a fun group of performances, I felt like I was stuck at a boring wedding for an hour. The contestants were all over the map, and I think that Adam and Lil turned in the best performances, and I don't like either of them that much! That's how weird this episode was, and now I'm afraid this may be Anoop's last week. What do you guys think?

Who is going home this week on Idol?
Allison Iraheta21 (1.3%)
Anoop Desai246 (15.5%)
Adam Lambert32 (2.0%)
Matt Giraud324 (20.5%)
Danny Gokey31 (2.0%)
Kris Allen47 (3.0%)
Lil Rounds882 (55.7%)

American Idol' Show Photos

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Ryan Seascrest and the American idol judges introduce the contestants. Airs Wednesday, April 8, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Kellie Pickler makes a guest appearance and performs. Airs Wednesday, April 8, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Franie Valli makes a guest appearance and performs. Also pictured: Ryan Seacrest. Airs Wednesday, April 8, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Franie Valli makes a guest appearance and performs. Airs Wednesday, April 8, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Flo Rida performs. Airs Wednesday, April 8, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Flo Rida performs. Airs Wednesday, April 8, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Adam Lambert performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 7, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Matt Giraud performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 7, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Allison Iraheta performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 7, 2009.

nchamlong2

Actually, I think they should have all 4 judges comment on each singer, but give them each a time limit. Once their allotted time is up, then someone should ring a bell (or even a gong!).

April 16 2009 at 3:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Really - Lil "gives one of the best performances of the night"??? Sorry Kona, I have to disagree with you here. Lil should have KILLED this song and she just didn't even come close! She's slowly slipped away week after week and I don't think she's going to be able to recover from this one. If the judges had more time to bitch... I mean critique her, I'm sure that Randy or Kara would have told her there were sooooo many other songs she could have chosen that would have suited her vocal style. She could have done something from "Dreamgirls", "Lady Sings the Blues", etc and just nailed it but instead she just failed it.

Oh, and to comment on the show running over - it isn't the judges at fault, its the producer. It's their job to make sure that a LIVE show stays right on time. AI needs to have a light or a buzzer or have someone screaming at Paula... I mean in the judges' ears that their time is up and they have to stop talking. How long have they been doing this anyway??? I mean you'd think they could figure this stuff out by now... or not.

April 15 2009 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Michael's comment
Kona Gallagher

A lot of people have been disagreeing with my opinion of Lil Rounds' performance last night.

While I agree that objectively it was not a good performance, I thought it was a lot better than any of the performances she's turned in over the last several weeks. Also, it was one of the few performances that wasn't tainted by a song I hate, so she had that going for her.

I still stand behind my comments, but I also think she's the one who deserves to go home this week.

April 15 2009 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Kona, I usually agree with you almost across the board here with your reviews. I'm a Lil fan and I'm just very disappointed with how badly she's slipped away from the leaders the past month. She started so strong and I think Simon's hit it a couple of times with his comments the last few weeks - whoever is advising her is just doing a terrible job of it. We've seen it in seasons past, there's always one or two contestants that "self destruct" and then it just seems like desperation that they'll try almost anything to get back into it and it just makes things that much worse. This seems like what's happening to Lil this season. She can't pick the right song or the right arrangement to save her life. This week seemed like a shoe-in when I heard she was going to do "The Rose" and then it was just so... blah.

This week in general was such a snoozer though, Adam and Allison were the only ones that were upbeat at all and including Allison is a bit of a stretch since she selected a power ballad. I can't stand Adam but you nailed it when you said it seems like its "The Adam Show" when he's on. Last night it was "The Adam Show" in bright flashing neon lights. I agree that the bottom three will probably be Lil, Matt and maybe Anoop or Chris to round it out but I think Lil has enough of a fan base that she'll make it through one more week. Matt's been living on borrowed time and he's a goner. Guess we'll find out in about 40 mins... tonight I'm watching LOST!

April 15 2009 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
itsy

WHY is Kara DioGuardi there? Wasn't she supposed to be there to take up the slack for a fading Paula? Paula seems sharper than ever, no matter what you think of her critiques, so, tell me again, WHY is Kara DioGuardi there? I've never heard her give a critique that was unusual or more valuable o insightful than anything anyone else said. So WHY THE HELL IS KARA THERE? No wonder the show runs over.

They gotta dump Kara for next season.

April 15 2009 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Acof

Kris and Anoop had the only download-worthy performances last night.

Allison and Adam were just okay. Wrong song choices for both.

Danny and Matt should have sailed through, but both were just bad, in a bad way.

Lil needed this to be her one good performance to date, but failed again... big time.

Everyone's expecting Lil to go, but I think it'll be Matt (and no judge's save). Hopefully next week will be Lil's swan song.

April 15 2009 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

Dan A. you got to stop selecting your bottom 3 from dialidol.com. The person on the bottom has never gone home. Kris might be in the bottom 3 but Matt or Lil is going home.

April 15 2009 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I hate to say it, but it wasn't even a contest again last night. Adam owned that stage from the opening note of "Born to be Wild", and every other performer really did look like a "Wedding Singer" in comparison. Gokey, in a moment of desperation, tried to invoke the "spirit" of the deceased wife, because he knows if he actually talks about her again people will start throwing tomatoes at him. Let's get rid of Cara next season, so the judges all get to talk. Simon is a b*tchy blowhard, but his comments are still the most interesting, and without them, we can see just how dull Idol would be without him.

April 15 2009 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
peter

well it seems that most other posters are pretty right about the song choices last night and who should be going home tonignt(only 2 in the bottom for the next couple of weeks my picks will go home Lil and who unless he starts to get better Matt moley moley moley G.)I am really getting upset with still the AI group still using the symphathy thing with Danny...Simon saying how hard it was to get thru the song(he sang it terribly and was way off pitch at the beginning)enough already!!!!

April 15 2009 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

Kris, Kris, Kris. I watched Once and I own the CD, and I love you, but I prefer the original version and artist of that song. Wrong song choice (except for the melodic part towards the end).
Allison never recovered for me. Great texture to her voice though.
I enjoyed Lil's "bait and switch." I am also fine with the way she stood up to herself.
Couldn't help but jump at "the Adam Lambert" slash "Rocky Horror" show. It was just too enjoyable.
Both Danny and Anoop kinda ignored Tarantino's (Kill Bill! slash! mwahh, ahh, ahh) advice, but enjoyed them well.
Matt's song was boring, boring, boring. Boring.

April 15 2009 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ron

I'm so tired of hearing judges and others saying how much talent Lil supposedly has - and yet, has she really turned in a decent performance to date?! How many chances is she going to get before people realize she's just not that good? Every time she gets critiqued on her talent it's always "in theory" that she has a great voice. Not only is she totally uncreative but her pitch is generally awful. How about this idea... maybe she just isn't very talented after all? She needs to go tonight - and should have gone home much earlier.

April 15 2009 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Yet somehow, Idol still managed to run three minutes over and screw DVR users watching Fringe. Does FOX intentionally want people to stop watching their shows live and switch to torrents?

April 15 2009 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave's comment
Dorv

Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me.

Set your DVR to run 15 minutes past just in case. Its really not that hard.

April 15 2009 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply