November 23, 2014

Scrubs: My Soul on Fire (part two)

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 15th 2009 10:24PM
Scrubs: My Soul on Fire (part 2)(S08E15) There's a reason why you don't see too many sitcoms do two-parters or one-hour episodes more than once every couple of years; the comedy momentum set in the first half-hour usually doesn't continue during the second. Although the second part of Scrubs' Bahamas adventure was still pretty good, it definitely wasn't as funny as last week's first part.

But two interesting things came out of this episode, one character-based and the other actor-based. And, even though I had an inkling the latter was coming, it still surprised me when I saw it. More after the jump.

For some reason, until I saw Bill Lawrence show up on screen as the officiant the Braintrust had selected to conduct Janitor's wedding, I had completely forgot that he mentioned to critics last summer that he was going to act in this episode. He did a nice job in playing the worst minister ever. "Marriage... is a dead institution. Hasn't worked for me, it hasn't worked for anyone in my family." My favorite part of the wedding was when Janitor forced everyone to stand while he and Lady sat through the ceremony. But his vows to Lady were actually very sweet, as he managed to both be sincere and lie about his mother aging backwards all in the same sentence.

The second thing that happened is that J.D. actually admitted that -- hold on to your stethoscopes -- that he loved Elliot even more than he loved Turk. Yeah, you read that correctly. Talk about a spoiler... anyway, despite the trumped up drama an obviously very woozy (and pregnant, perhaps?) Elliot subjected J.D. to during this trip, it seems like he made it through like a champ. Of course, the other two couples with issues -- Cox and Jordan and Turk and Carla -- resolved their difficulties, as well. I mean, man, who knew the same Carla that was biting her tonenails one day would look so smokin' hot the next?

More fun stuff:
  • Ted's amazingly good acoustic version of "Hey Ya" at the wedding. That Sam Lloyd's got some musical talent, I tell ya.
  • Turk really thinks that hotel employee was a mermaid? I guess when your wife is too busy worrying about your kid to be sexy, a man can think of anything...
  • I swear I've seen the "Cox wants more with Jordan than just hate-love" storyline before. But it's still good to see that dynamic rear its head again.
  • I know Elliot's revulsion towards redheads -- "God's mistakes" -- comes out of nowhere, but it's still funny, especially when Lady tells her that she's a natural ginger person.
  • Oops, the eel joke I mentioned last week happened in this episode. Oy. That's what happens when you watch screeners ahead of time; sometimes the episodes blur together a bit.
  • Janitor dragging J.D. to to the top of a lighthouse, taping dead fish to his hands, and letting the seagulls have their way with him. It was definitely the appropriate Janitorial punishment for J.D. actually inviting people to the wedding.
  • We still don't know Janitor's name, do we? We thought we might hear it at the ceremony, but lots of interruptions, including The Todd's high-tide five with his mentor.
  • Lady is short for Ladania! Never knew that before.
  • Ted's skin drinks in the sunscreen for a reason; he burns like a tiny turkey in a huge oven.
  • Kelso spends the entire episode at the bar sucking down Bahama Mamas. When the bartender encourages him to see the islands, he does so... and walks into another bar. Well, at least we know where Bobbo's priorities lie.

We're coming down the home stretch, folks. Hopefully the remaining episodes will be as funny as this sojurn to the islands.

Nate

Does anyone know who makes the sunglasses that JD wears in this episode??

April 23 2009 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Loved Ted, too.

The one thing I didn't like, and it's been an issue throughout the whole series, is I just think Elliot was, as usual, annoying and self-absorbed and, frankly, mean. I assume this might be Bill's passive aggressive approach to giving the fans what they want against his will (he never wanted J.D. and Elliot to stay together).

She was ridiculous with her demands, and it resulted in J.D. declaring his love for her in the most incredible way he could, and I resent that. And there's no way he would, or should, love Elliot more than he loves Turk.

April 17 2009 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scot

Original acoustic version of Hey Ya:

April 17 2009 at 4:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I think that JD telling Elliot that he loves her more than he loves Turk and then giving her Turk's tiki god was the biggest romantic gesture he has ever made for her. Once he admitted that I was waiting for him to propose to her.

btw, is having sex in the ocean sanitary? ew.

April 16 2009 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Oh yeah, and did anyone watch "Better off Ted" last night? That show is hilarious!

April 16 2009 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

The eel comment (hence the confusion) was shown in the credits of last week's episode, but it was kinda unclear whether it was a preview for this episode or whether it was the end of the last. So people did see it--no spoiler there.

Great episode. I enjoyed it. But I heard that we DO find out the Janitor's name by the end of the series. Is that still true?

April 16 2009 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Hey Ya was great. The best Scrubs moment in years.

April 16 2009 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
Dan

It was so out of nowhere too. I was sitting there listening and I was all "wait a minute, is this Outkast?" Awesome. Ted really is a great character, I actually think the show could continue on without the main cast if Ted and The Janitor stayed. Most of the funniest moments don't come from the main cast members, but the secondary ones. The main cast provides the drama and plot development, but the comedy comes from those wonderful supporting actors.

April 16 2009 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

Lovely Episode.

J.D. and Elliot working so good together is another reason why Stella sucked on HIMYM...

Oh and Josh Radnor.

April 16 2009 at 6:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superrrguy

This show is never really that funny but I always enjoy watching it.

I don't know why but the Doggie Hell line made me crack up.

I also loved the acoustic Hey Ya.

April 16 2009 at 3:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EOR

I'm so glad the eel comment wasn't in last week's episode! Your review had me thinking I was insane for missing such an awesome line...

April 15 2009 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply