September 1, 2014

Zac Efron as Jonny Quest? Really?

by Brad Trechak, posted Apr 15th 2009 5:19PM
Johnny QuestRecently I came across a blog post from the Los Angeles Times suggesting that 21 year-old teen heartthrob Zac Efron will be playing Jonny Quest, the 11 year-old kid adventurer of those old Hanna-Barbera cartoons. My first thought: would that work?

I think that casting would be confusing, but I also think that having Jonny spell his name without an "h" in it is confusing.

Of course, strange casting choices and Hollywood go hand-in-hand (Michael Keaton as Batman? Kevin Costner as Robin Hood?). In an industry that believes that a teenaged Matthew Perry would look exactly like Zac Efron, this shouldn't be a big stretch.

I'm a big fan of The Venture Brothers and their take on the whole Jonny Quest myth. This big screen version of the character would likely be a little less parody and a little more Indiana Jones. What a shame.

On the plus side, I think Dwayne Johnson is a perfect choice for the role of Race Bannon. Who would play Hadji, I wonder?

David D

The last thing I heard about this was that the script was unusually good, and there was talk about just renaming the characters and not making it a "Jonny Quest" movie. Fine with me!

April 16 2009 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shamon

the star of slumdog millionaire

April 16 2009 at 5:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
velvet phantom

Dev Patel could play Hadji or maybe Hank Azaria

April 16 2009 at 3:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Old strung out Jonny?

April 16 2009 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OneDamnGoal

Whatever keeps him from playing Marty McFly.

April 15 2009 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bubbameister33

Hollywood sure is trying to stuff this guy down our throats. As for Hadji just get the guy who played the kid doctor from Nip/Tuck, problem solved.

April 15 2009 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JT

Please oh please don't let them spoil one of my childhood faves...

April 15 2009 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply