American Idol: Who goes home?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 16th 2009 12:11AM

American Idol - Season 8

I love the movie Flashdance, so I got all excited when the Idols started singing "Maniac" for their group number. But then I quickly deflated when I realized their version is nothing like the movie version with Jennifer Beals doing her butt dance. I'm not a lesbian, but watching that scene always makes me wish I was. Bring on the leg warmers and ripped sweatshirt.

After that, we had some footage of the Idols attending the red carpet premiere of 17 Again and getting to meet Zac Efron, Leslie Mann and the other stars of the film. Zac was in the Idol audience, too, wearing some goofy ski hat and looking like nine miles of bad road, but whatever.

American Idol' Show Photos

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Ryan Seascrest and the American idol judges introduce the contestants. Airs Wednesday, April 8, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Kellie Pickler makes a guest appearance and performs. Airs Wednesday, April 8, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Franie Valli makes a guest appearance and performs. Also pictured: Ryan Seacrest. Airs Wednesday, April 8, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Franie Valli makes a guest appearance and performs. Airs Wednesday, April 8, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Flo Rida performs. Airs Wednesday, April 8, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Flo Rida performs. Airs Wednesday, April 8, 2009.

Fox

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Adam Lambert performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 7, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Matt Giraud performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 7, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Allison Iraheta performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 7, 2009.

Fox

Allison is under the gun first, and she's safe for another week. Then Adam is next, wearing mega-amounts of eyeliner. He says he wasn't insulted by Simon's comment that his performance was like The Rocky Horror Picture Show. "Did you mean it as an insult?" laughs Adam. "No," says Simon. Alrighty then.

Anoop, however, isn't so lucky. He's in the bottom three and has to take that long walk across the stage.

Then we get a little break, and Jennifer Hudson sings "If This Isn't Love," from her self-titled debut album. It's amazing how she's grown from her American Idol days. She's not only taken every opportunity that came her way, but went out and grabbed those opportunities. Way to go, Jennifer.

Kris Allen is in the spotlight next. Ok, Ryan's teasers are just getting weird. He'll tell someone to take a seat, and it's unclear whether he's talking about a seat on the save-couch or a seat on the bottom-three stool. Anyway, Kris is saved this week, and Lil ends up in the bottom three with Anoop.

Next up, we learn that Danny is safe, while Matt is in the bottom three. Ryan immediately sends Anoop back to the couch to savor another week of Idol-dom.

Then Miley Cyrus sings "The Climb" from her new movie, "Hannah Montana: The Movie." She's wearing this movie-star dress and looks darn nice, even though her performance seems a little off. She's probably wiped out from all the non-stop movie junkets.

Then the moment of truth: Over 36 million people voted, and Lil is safe. Matt Giraud is going to have to sing for his life as the judges confer and whisper in the pit. After he performs, there's a lot of chaos in the judge's area, and Simon starts to say he doesn't think Matt could ever win, but ... the judges save him, and he bursts into tears.

Unfortunately, that means that two people will go home next week, and ... it's disco week!

So what do you think? Should the judges have saved Matt?

forthcoming

Please don't vote for Lil. I do not want to see an Adam, lil finale. Her mouth just grosses me out and she yells every song thinking she can sing and she can't. Please. Anyway, Adam and Ireheta that is who it will boil down to. Or Gokey and Adam. I think folks might want to see those two go for the prize. I think it could be Adam and Gokey. If that's the case I'm voting for Adam. If it's Ireheta and Adam, I'm voting for Ireheta only because I think she has the package deal going. Adam is ok, but he is already gonna make it. Plus we need a girl this year.

April 18 2009 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
forthcoming

Let's just hope they get rid of that big mouthed Lil. She just yells every song out. Can't stand her and looking at that huge mouth of hers sing. Her mouth is just big. It would be different if she had big lips, but a big mouth just doesn't look right. Lil wears butt padding and always looking hideous in her ugly outfits that don't fit her well. She wears butt padding trying to be Beyonce, which her ugly ass will never be.

April 18 2009 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malano2

Right...OK...do I think Matt deserved the save..yes and no...I thought Lil has been horriffic the past couple of weeks and felt she should've gone home...but seeing as they judges had only this week and next to use the save (which makes no sense to me) they had to use it on someone who was worth it...Lil..so not worth it: anoop..ditto... As for the Allison Danny Adam bit...sorry but I can't stand Allison..everything is the same gritty vocals, she really needs to soften it up a bit...

April 18 2009 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Go, Adam!

April 17 2009 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Matt is a great singer pure and simple and this results show stands as one of the greatest moments in idol history -- the audience and the other singers actually chanting save, save!!!! (didn't happen with the other singers). He is a real talent and I'm not sure why he is not connecting == I hear from fox reality that he is actually the comedian of the group -- did you see how happy Adam was that he was saved? Listen no one is taking away an adam -- danny finale -- so a few votes towards Matt won't hurt, he deserves to be in this competition and that's why the judges thankfully saved him. He may not win but doesn't deserve to leave before lil or anoop. May I remind you that matt has not been in the bottom 3 for the past two weeks so maybe people thought he was safe. jennifer hudson and fantasia were the bottom 2 and jennifer hudson left -- so that could have dramatically changed the winner of that season. Please vote for Matt, unless you would prefer an adam-lil finale.

April 17 2009 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

I agree that Adam, Allison and Danny are the only ones worthy of being saved by the judges, but I dont know if I go along with the line of thinking that they used it because they will lose it if they didnt use it this week or next week. The save is supposedly a tool to protect against a glaring and obvious mistake by the voters and to keep a potential winner from being a victim of one of those "what the hell" result night surprises we have seen in the past. It seems to me that you override the vote of the viewers as a last resort, not just because you have this "cool" new save rule and you might as well use it while its still in effect. Just because you have it doesnt mean you necessarily have to use it. Not to mention the fact that you risk ticking off a whole bunch of people in order to save someone who is obviously not a threat to win the competition. So, now the question is, do last nights voting results no longer matter, did all of those peoples votes count for nothing, or are they going to add this weeks results to next weeks vote totals and use the total for both weeks combined, as they have in the past?
The people who produce this show always seem to be running around frantically trying to fix mix ups of their own making. It just makes them look, time and time again, like they dont know what the hell they are doing.

April 16 2009 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vegasjudy16

I agree with those who said it was a calculated "save", no matter who was the bottom one. The judges "conferring" is just all show. They can't save a person once it's down to the Top 5, so it was now or next week. Next week they'll have to eliminate two, so WTF? I mean, we've desperately needed the save in the past (I mean, for others, Chris Daughtry, and for me, Jennifer Hudson in the past and most importantly Michael Johns), But this year, they're really ALL GOOD, and someone has to go each week. Matt was my choice to go, although I still think he's very talented. Someone should pick the songs for Lil. How about, "And I'm telling you, I'm not going" - the one that has been sung before in a wow way by past "full-voiced" singers. Of course, with "Disco Week"? I don't know where she can go. Most of them are light and fluffy - not using great vocal ranges or anything...

April 16 2009 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

The save was to protect the better singers from losing to another Sanjaya. The judges probably knew ahead of time Matt was going this week. If they didn't use it this week they most likely would have had to use it next week and it could be embarassing if they had to save Lil who has been bad all season. Save Matt and then you won't have to save Lil. Matt, Lil and Anoop - 2 of these people will be gone next week.
Even though I don't like Anoop and he could never win this season against Danny or Adam, he has been singing better but has no fanbase and has been in the bottom 3 right along.

April 16 2009 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to davidm3825's comment
Scott

Actually, the save was designed to avoid another Jennifer Hudson episode, where America gets it wrong, sends her home prematurely, and then the big wigs at American Idol look like morons because one of their cast-offs goes on to win an Oscar, a Grammy, and become one of the biggest stars on the planet.

April 16 2009 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saragee

I agree Jag - the judges used the save on Matt for drama and because they don't want to use it on Anoop or Lil. Now if either one is sent home there is no question about whether to save them or not.

I always thought they were waiting to save Allison, but the fact that she was safe (even in the dreaded #1 spot) indicates to me that she must be getting massive votes and that Adam, Danny, Kris and Allison are a safe bet for top 4 so the judges figured why not now and get everyone talking.

April 16 2009 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julzz

OK, so I guess I was wrong last week when I said the save was for that moment when america got it wrong, when someone who had a chance to win the thing is let loose because everyone assumes they're safe and doesn't vote. For the time the audience gasps and is sitting in stunned silence with their jaws dropped to the ground and paula looks like she's gonna pass out. I guess it was just to waste on this loser! Really....did they they REALLY waste it on this guy! I know Simon didn't want to, but you would think one of the others would have some common sense. I guess since they were down to the last 2 weeks of the save, they decided to "use it or lose it". Just hope they don't want to use it next week when something weird happens.

April 16 2009 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacie23

The judges save was to be used on someone who might actually win the damn thing not someone that they think will probably just leave next week. It was to ensure that someone that could win doesn't slip through the judge's fingers. Matt isn't winning the show. Simon said so himself. If he doesn't have a chance to win then don't use the save on him. Now Alison,who doesn't always get alot of votes might be in jeopardy during next week's double elimnation. She, Danny and Adam are the only 3 I would have used it for. The rest are vying for 4th,5th and 6th place. Not a good move at all. It doesn't make sense and isn't true to why they brought the save on this year.

April 16 2009 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Stacie23's comment
vegasjudy16

Agree with you totally, Stacie. My Top 3 are Adam, Allison and Danny too - and now none of them could be saved next week if one of them (more likely Allison) for some reason ends up at the bottom. This "new toy" as someone else put it isn't being used as it was intended!

April 16 2009 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply