September 15, 2014

Have you seen The Observer?

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 16th 2009 5:09PM
FringeI'm not talking about a newspaper, I'm talking about the mysterious bald guy on FOX's Fringe.

Alert viewers have probably noticed the character on the show. You can often see him lurking in the background, as part of a crowd, or just walking by (as well as other, more obvious scenes). Now the character has made his way off of the show and is lurking about on other FOX shows, including American Idol, NASCAR coverage, even during NFL games.

It's all part of a viral marketing campaign cooked up by the people behind the show and FOX. They even have a code name for it: "Where's Baldo?," though no one from the network will really say there is such a campaign going on (that adds to the mystery, of course). The character (played by actor Michael Cerveris) is going to pop up in other locations as well. Here are a couple of places you may have seen him, on and off the show.

Fringe

More observer

Fringe

Susie

He showed up on the big screen at Yankee Stadium today. Today's game was part of Fox's Saturday baseball.

April 18 2009 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Oh cool...other than him appearing on AI, I didnt realize he showed up on other Fox shows.

April 17 2009 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I am unobservant (ha ha) and even though I watch Fringe and tell myself to look for him at the beginning I forget midway and miss him 90% of the time. I did, however, see him three times on Idol, it was that obvious. I think it's a fun campaign.

April 17 2009 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lisa's comment
mdk

I always miss him while watching Fringe, but I DVR the show. For some reason, I can Fast Forward through and catch him then. On FFWD he just pops out like a sore thumb. Weird.

April 17 2009 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kip

American Idol was spooky as to when they panned to him and upon seeing it again I didn't pick up on the other views in that ep

Huge fan of cross shows and mixing realities though no one ever really jumped into it. I always wanted to see the enterprise at deep space 9 a lot more. Homicide did a law and order that was good though the multi dimensional characters(bunk pre bunk era) mixing with just plain cops with no outside lives on L&O was interesting. Munch was in that ep but as part of the homicde cast.

April 17 2009 at 2:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

He's an interdimensional being (from Fringe) so he'd be alot more distinctive if he was tatted with some alienese on that bald skull of his. Otherwise, he looks like a plain old accountant-type, easily forgettable if noticeable in the first place.

April 17 2009 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

would be cooler if he showed up in non-fox shows

April 16 2009 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

What other fox shows has he appeared in? Has he popped up at Princeton Plainsboro Hospital, the Jeffersonian Institution, the Dollhouse?

I heard some people making a big deal over seeing the observer actor at some football game, but i don't recall hearing that he had a blue suit on, carried a briefcase, and had no eyebrows. Apparently the actor really is bald. But just because he's seen in real life doesn't mean it's meant to be Fringe's Observer. It would be cool to see him (dressed as the Observer with briefcase etc) on an elevator with Drs. House and Wilson, and have House say something snarky to him. Or hit him with his cane.

April 16 2009 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
Joey Geraci

That would be unbelievably cool!

Or get interrogated to death by Jack in 24.

April 16 2009 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply